Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Cincinnati Ripper 1905 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Cincinnati Ripper 1905 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this clipping from the Williamsport Sunday Grit of 3 September 1905 - if I find any more info I will post
Chris

cinrip

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

I find it interesting to note that the writers of these later American reports of Ripper-like murders or assaults often clearly say as in this case "A 'Jack the Ripper'. . . has claimed another victim. . .' as if they knew it probably was not the same criminal as in London. Note here though that the headline writer, possibly a different writer to the person who wrote the text of the piece says, "Jack the Ripper Still Active"!

In my short but brief career as a reporter for a few months in 1972-1973, I certainly experienced instances in which the editor would put a title to an article that I had written and that often gave an impression I had not intended! shakehead

All the best

Chris

Richard Lawrence
Sergeant
Username: Rl0919

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is perhaps worth noting that, inventive writing aside, the crime described in this brief article doesn't sound very much like JtR. A teenage girl was non-fatally attacked with a blunt object. No mention of prostitution, throat-cutting, mutilation, etc. Other than a man having attacked multiple women, it doesn't seem to have anything in common with Jack.

But if Chris digs up more coverage that sheds a different light on the other attacks in that area, which are mentioned but not actually described, then perhaps they will show a better fit.

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi fellows,

This sounds a little like the Cincinnati Streetcar Killer but then again not. He killed three women in 1904, took a five year hiatus for unknown reasons then killed two more, one each in 1909 and 1910.

So was there another serial killer, one who has been missed in today's case study books, operating in Cincinnatti in this same era? Unless this article is inaccurate, we would have to assume so. Perhaps the papers were falling into the familiar pattern of assigning all deaths and attacks in an area to one perpetrator in order to "boost" the story.

The M.O. here sounds more like the Toledo Clubber but he didn't show up for another twenty years.

Goodies,

Stan

BJ Bruther
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It also sounds like Peter Kurten in Dusseldorf in the late Twenties. He used a hammer to strike down some of his victims. First time in a while, I have heard someone refer to the Toledo Clubber--an interesting fellow, I read one description of his painted face that reminded me of the X-Files, and am surprised they never used the case. BJ

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.