Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Murder of a watchman 3 October 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Murder of a watchman 3 October 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this passage in a Canadian newspaper (the Calgary Tribune) dated 10th October 1888.

London. Oct. 4.
Two supposed Americans have been arrested in connection with the Whitechapel murders.
Another American has been arrested on suspicion of complicity in the Whitechapel murders. The arrest has also been made of the man who murdered the watchman last night. The watchman had noticed a man and woman in the alleyway and followed them, when the man stabbed him.

Does anyone know anything about this murder of a watchman and who the supposed killer was?
Many thanks
Chris S

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Wouldn't it be just dandy if this night watchman worked for Kearley & Tonge?
I'll dream on.

Alexander Chisholm
Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris & AP

I think the following extracts might refer to the incident in question.

Star, 4 Oct. 1888, page 3
An evening contemporary publishes the following: -
“This morning at half-past four a man was seen to go behind a hoarding in High-street, Shadwell, with a woman. The watchman on duty, having his suspicions, followed them and called the police. The man killed the watchman with a knife, but was secured by several constables who had hurried up. It is believed that the man is the Whitechapel murderer.”
Our reporter saw the inspector on duty at Leman-street Police-station with reference to this report. “No one,” said the officer, “has been arrested at Shadwell.”
Has a watchman or anyone been killed? – No.
Then you think there is no truth in the report? – “Think!” he answered. “I am sure of it.”
This report proves to be false in two very important particulars. No arrests have been made by the Shadwell police to-day, and no watchman has been killed. The watchman who was said to have fallen a victim to the knife of the murderer was on duty at a building in process of demolition at No. 191, High-street, opposite St. Paul’s Church, Shadwell. A Star reporter found the watchman alive, though not lively, at No. 6, New Gravel-lane. His name is James McNaughten. He did not look like a man who had undergone an encounter with a desperado, and he assured the Star man that his experience did not belie his looks. He was utterly ignorant of the fact that he had awoke
TO FIND HIMSELF DEAD,
and it was with difficulty that he could recall any incident of the night that could have given rise to the story. At length, however, he remembered that he had seen a man and woman pass him soon after midnight, and noticing a moment later that they had disappeared, he walked up to the other end of the hoarding, and found them in its shadow. “I asked them what they were doing there,” said he, “and the woman asked what business it was of mine. I told her I didn’t want no game played there, and then the man said something about my wanting to get ripped up.” “Of course,” continued the watchman, “I didn’t want to get ripped up, and I was glad to see ‘em move on.” The watchman added that he may have mentioned the circumstance to some of his acquaintances before he went to bed this morning, but he attached no importance to the fact, as similar occurrences took place nightly in that neighborhood, and something about “ripping up” and “Leather Apron” was in everybody’s mouth.

Daily Telegraph, 5 Oct. 1888, page 3.
Some excitement was caused in the City yesterday by the publication of a report that at 4.30 a.m. a man was seen to go behind a hoarding in High-street, Shadwell, with a woman, and that the watchman on duty, having his suspicions, followed them, and called the police. The man, it was stated, killed the watchman with a knife, but was secured by several constables who hurried up. Inquiry into this rumour at once discredited it. At the Leman-street Police-station the inspector on duty was able to say frankly that he was sure there was no truth in the report. Further investigation proved that the hoarding to which reference had been made was opposite St. Paul's, Church-street, in the High-street, Shadwell, where some premises are about to be rebuilt. Here early yesterday morning a watchman was stationed, but no attack was made upon him. The sensational story seems to have originated in the exaggerated account of an arrest on the previous evening, a man having been detained on suspicion until yesterday morning, when the satisfactory result of inquiries allowed of his discharge. The man in the first instance was taken to King David's-lane Police-station in Shadwell, and an excited crowd congregated outside, when, of course, the most idle tales rapidly spread. From other inquiries in the neighbourhood of Shadwell it was learned that the attention of a watchman was called in the course of the night to a man and woman in the shadow of a hoarding, and, when asked their business, the man said something about "ripping" up the watchman, but the couple moved away. Such a threat as this in the East-end has latterly become by no means uncommon.

Best Wishes
alex

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for the info alex- I had not seen this incident mentioned before
great stuff
Chris S

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.