Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Disappearance of John Bachert Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » The Disappearance of John Bachert « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R.J. Palmer
Sergeant
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the midst of life...

"A respectably-dressed young man, who gave the name of Albert Bachert, of 13, Newnham-street, Tentner-ground, Whitechapel, and who appeared to be in great distress, applied for publicity respecting the disappearance of his father, John Bachert, a tailor, of the same address, who had been missing since Saturday week. On that day he left home for the purpose of going to the City, but had not since been seen or heard of. His description was a follows: Age 54, but looks ten years younger; height 5ft, 7in.; complexion fair, light hair, blue eyes, and heavy sandy moustache. Was dressed in black diagonal frock coat, dark tweed trousers, side spring boots, and soft felt hat. On him were about L400 and a quantity of jewelry, including one large diamond ring. Mr. Saunders referred applicant to the representatives of the Press."

--London The Times 20 September, 1887.

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other disappearances -
Hi! I'm new to the board. Your "Disappearance of John Bachert" caught my eye. I've been looking for information on mysterious vanishings in 1880s England since reading Mark Daniel's "How Jack the Ripper Saved the Whitechapel Murderer" in "The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper". Daniel named three victims - people who "...simply vanished from the London streets, never to be seen again" - Eliza Carter, Amelia Jeffs, and Charles Wagner. I've done a little digging, and found mention of an Eliza Carter of "Lower Bridge St.,Chester" (name appears in an English newpaper, 1884); an Amelia Sarah Jeffs, (daughter of Charles, a railway machinist),15, of "West Rd, West Ham" (1890); and a Charles Wagner (son of Charles) of "Ramsgate", and "West Ham & Ramsgate" (1882). A site I found only confirms that their stories were in the papers; I can find no details about their disappearances, though. Are you familiar with the cases I'm refering to? Do you have any information? Do you know were I could look?
Thanks!
Steve

Chris Scott
Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve
I have managed to find this on your people in the 1881 census.
Address:
75 West Road, West Ham, Essex
Head:
Charles Jeffs born 1848 in Gloucester. Machinist Railway Works (E&M)
Wife:
Mary Annie Jeffs born 1851 in Weston Super Mare, Somerset.
Daughter:
Amelia S. Jeffs born 1875 in Neath, Glamorgan.

The only Charles Wagner in West ham in the 1881 census was a butcher of that name born in 1842 in Germany and living at 104 Victoria Dock Road,West Ham. In the household is listed a son also called Charles Wagner born in 1874 in West Ham. In the 1881 census there is no Wagner family listed as living in Ramsgate.

The only Eliza Carter living in Chester in this census is as follows:
Address:
2 Rock Court, Chester St Michael, Cheshire
Born 1831 in Chester
Married to Joseph Carter

Hope thsi may be of use
If I find any more I'll let you know
Chris

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Steve,

If you can somehow get into the original casebook
file, you will find that I did some research into
the deaths of Charles Wagner (at Ramsgate, he
did not live there but in West Ham), and Amelia
Jeffs. The story of the West Ham disappearances
have been intriguing true-crime lovers for decades, but nobody has ever written about them
in a solid book form. In fact, the same information has been repeated about the series
of disappearances as to suggest that the original
researcher's work is being repeated almost word
for word. Compare Michael Harrison's copping of
the material in IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF SHERLOCK
HOLMES to Elliot O'Donnell's chapter on the
series of disappearances in MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCES. O'Donnell combines them as a
follow up to the story of the presumed murder
of the baker Urban Napoleon Stanger (the "St.Luke's Mystery" of 1881). Stanger's
wife and her lover were suspected, but nothing
could be proved (although the lover served a
sentence for a lesser crime).

On poor Charlie Wagner, I found that he had
been entrusted by his father to make a large
bank deposit, and a recently discharged employee
of his father had somehow influenced Charlie to
go with him and the money for a holiday to Ramsgate. Charlie appears to have been totally
out of his element in this situation that the
ex-employee manipulated. In the end the teenager
fell off a cliff at Ramsgate. The ex-employee was
suspected and there was an inquest (in 1882) but
the local jury (despite some damning evidence of
the behavior of the ex-employee) gave the incident
the benefit of their doubt. You see, it happened
at nighttime, and there were recent accidents of
various visitors falling off the same cliff.

On poor Amelia Jeffs, the story was even more
frustrating. She vanished in 1890, but her body
(like Charlie Wagner's) ended up being found. She
was strangled and left in a closet or cubby in a
newly built house in West Ham. Here three possible suspects (all members of the same family:
a builder, his father - who was the night watchman on the house - and his son, who had access to the keys to the house) were closely
questioned at the inquest. Their answers were all
weak, but also contradictory to each other. The
coroner (and the public) were fully suspicious that one of the three liars was probably the killer, but the situation was so evenly balanced
that no definite person could be pointed out and
charged. Moreover, the builder made it a point
to mention his prominent connections to the local
Tory Party in the inquest. So the Jeffs' murder
was never avenged legally, although I am sure the
stink of suspicion may have surrounded the whole
family afterwards.

I tried to find more on Eliza Carter's case, but
had no success. Possibly you may have more.

Best wishes (and happy hunting).

Jeff Bloomfield

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
Thank you so much! That was a very generous use of your time!
I live in a small, rural community in the "Wild West" (well, the "Wild Northwest", anyway; Washington state). Love the lifestyle, but I do have very limited research facilities at my disposal.
The Charles Wagners (Junior and Senior?) you found must be right - Daniel refers to the missing boy as "...the West Ham butcher's son". Amelia S. Jeffs also looks like a match - born in 1875, went missing in 1890 at age 15.
I don't think that JtR was responsible for these cases, but how about the Torso Killer who seems to have been operating (no sick pun intended) at the same time and place? Do we have a copy-cat (sort of) killer sharing Jack's limelight? Was someone (or a gang) abducting men, women, and children in the greater London area, and, for whatever reason, hacking them up and leaving what was left scattered about? Does anyone out there know if these abductions were ever linked to any one person or group? Daniel says that many of the victims were seen in the company of a "...woman with a long ulster and a black frock" shortly before they disappeared. How about the case of 7-year-old John Gill? When his body was found in December 1888, the papers at first treated it as a Ripper killing. His legs had been removed, and his heart taken out. A few of the JtR letters (no doubt written by others) claim the police hadn't found all the bodies (or parts). (Aspects of all this remind me of the Cleveland Torso Killer of the 1930s)
If anyone out there has any information about these abductions/murders/disappearances/found torsos/mysterious vanishings, I would certainly appreciate a response!
And thanks again, Chris! It's nice to know a "new kid" can ask a question, and get such a generous response!
Steve Laughery

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff -
Thanks to you, too! Wow - the people on this messgage board really come through!
I'll try ordering the two books you refer to at my local library.
I see now why the newspaper sight I visited gave both West Ham and Ramsgate as "locale" for their stories about Charles Wagner (one was his residence, the other the scene of the crime).
I'll keep looking into the Eliza Carter story. You guys have inspired me!
Again - thank you, Jeff, very much! Great info; I appreciate your kindness! I'll visit here again soon!
Steve Laughery

Chris Scott
Sergeant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve - very glad the info was of use.
I also have a personal interest in this one as I live in Ramsgate! So I will go the local library and look in the microfiche archive to see if anything is there
Regards
Chris

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve - I am glad that my info was of some help. I am going to give you three sitations
for you to look at. They are recent publications,
although they are from American publishers.

1) Harrison, Michael IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF SHERLOCK
HOLMES (New York: Berkeley Publishing Co. -
Berkeley Windhover Books, 1958, 1972).
[Harrison, you may recall, wrote CLARENCE: WAS
HE JACK THE RIPPER?, but many of his books
deal with Sherlock Holmes - he was a member
of the Baker Street Irregulars. He attempted
to identify locales from the "Canon" of Holmes
stories with actual places in England, and
the book is useful in giving good background
about late Victorian England. Chapter XXVIII
entitled "Methods of Approach", pp. 214 - 217
discusses the "St. Luke's" Mystery and then
the "West Ham" Disappearances.]

2) O'Donnell, Elliott STRANGE DISAPPEARANCES
(New York: Carol Publishing Group - Citadel
Press Book/Citadel Twilight, 1972, 1990)
[This book was published years earlier, but
was out of print (O'Donnell died in 1961).
Chapter XIII is entitled "Urban Napoleon
Stanger and the West Ham Disappearances".
and is on pages 281 - 297. There are
illustrations on page 286-287, if some figures
in the "St. Luke's" Mystery, and of Eliza
Carter (the latter's picture is from the
Penny Illustrated Paper, of February 18,
1882). The language is similar to that
in Harrison in dealing with the
disappearances.]

3) Nash, Jay Robert AMONG THE MISSING: AN
ANECDOTAL HISTORY OF MISSING PERSONS FROM
1800 TO THE PRESENT (New York: Simon and
Schuster, 1978).
[It too deals with the "St. Luke's" Mystery
and the "West Ham" Disappearances. The
latter (with Eliza's picture) are on pages
101-02; the former is on pages 252 - 253).]

There is also an out-of-print book:

1. Long, Guy B. H. GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?
STORIES OF CELEBRATED CRIMES (London:
Duffield & Company, 1929). I suspect
he may have been the originator of the
trail of accounts. Chapter XI: "THE
STRANGE CASE OF THE GERMAN BAKER" (p.
222 - 239) is about "St. Luke's" Mystery
The chapter has the picture of the people
in the "St.Luke's" Mystery, found in
O'Donnell's book.]

In Nash's book is an extensive bibliography, and
it lists O'Donnell's book and another book by
Long (ROPE, KNIFE, & CHAIR). Harrison is not
mentioned.

Harrison also wrote a book about Spontaneous
Combustion called FIRE FROM HEAVEN, and mentioned
how years before he heard from an elderly woman
who saw Eliza Carter the day she vanished. However, I tend to use Harrison with some caution.
He can become, shall we say "enthusiastic" in
presenting "facts".

Best wishes,

Jeff

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff -
Thank you, again! I'm making a trip into town tomorrow; I'll stop by the library and request all three likely titles (I'll try requesting the Guy Long book, too. Ya never know!)
I can't believe how kind and helpful you guys are! I really appreciate all your suggestions, data, and encouragement!
Steve

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

Glad to be of assistance. Hope you can get some
of these books.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff & Chris,
Got the books ordered from my library. We shall see what we shall see ...
Jeff - thanks for the tip about Mr. Harrison. I haven't seen "Among the Missing" yet, of course, but I might recommend caution with some of Mr. Nash's work, too. His three-volume "Bloodletters and Badmen" contains a chapter on Harry Tracy, a "local" Western Outlaw that I have some knowledge of (the ranch where Tracy killed himself in 1902 is not far from my home; I've been there many times), and Nash, too, seems to get a little too "enthusiastic" with his facts. They're little things he gets wrong, but there are a LOT of them!
Thanks again, guys. I'll be back!
Steve

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

The thing to remember about Nash is that he usually includes a large bibliography, which
is useful for further attempts at research.
Also, Nash admits that for reasons connected to
plagiarism he always puts one or two mistakes in
his accounts, to catch out any plagiarists.

Best wishes,

Jeff

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, R.J.

Does The Times reference who Mr. Saunders was? I'm not clear if Albert Bachert initially reported his father's disappearance to the police. Since John Bachert was supposed to have been gone for a week, and loaded down with money and valuables, it seems like the kind of missing persons report the police would have followed up on, unless they didn't find Albert's story worth following up.

I think it would be enlightening to learn whether nor not there is any surviving official record of Bachert's disappearance. Whether or not the police investigated the story would be telling.

Since John Bachert is listed as living with his family in 1891, we do know he returned at some point. At first I wondered if John Bachert went missing while making some kind of banking deposit (were banks opened on Saturdays then?), but now I suspect he was instead acting out some kind of mid-life crisis.

Assuming this is a genuine missing persons plea and not some kind of fabrication or exaggeration on Albert's part, I think perhaps John Bachert temporarily left his family for another woman (the ring, the jewels). This scenario might also explain some of his son's later attitude towards authority figures (PAD Syndrome-Pissed At Dad). Pure speculation on my part.

Anyway, I think an attempt to verify the newspaper story with something official would be helpful.

What if John Bachert ran off with a Whitechapel prostitute in 1887? :-)

Cheers,
Dave

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David--Hi. 'Mr. Saunders' was the magistrate. I'll have to go back and check, but I'm relatively certain that he's the same bloke that got up the dandruff of the Jewish Chronicle for having made some sort of inflammatory remarks against the Jews at the time of the Whitechapel Murders. See Jewish Chronicle, Sept 14, 1888:

"Without doubt the foreign Jews in the East End of London have been in some peril - though happily averted - during the past week owing to the sensationalism of which the district has been the centre. There has been forcibly brought home to us the genesis of the anti-Jewish outbreaks which still occasionally occur abroad, and which were not unknown in England in ancient times. It is so easy to inflame the popular mind when it is startled by hideous crime, that sensation- mongers incur a fearful responsibility when they add to the excitement by giving currency to every idle rumour. Of scarcely less prejudicial effect are such unbecoming observations as are reported to have been made on Wednesday by Mr. Saunders, the Magistrate at Worship Street Police Court. "

It's unclear whether Bachert went to the police, or took his worries directly to the Police Court. Possibly both.

As you note, Bachert Sr, is home by 1891. An odd business; I rather like your speculation about a mid-life crisis. Cheers, RP

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ, Dave

Although it has little to do with the discussion in hand, I thought it might be of interest to see what Saunders had done to upset the Jewish Chronicle.

The Star, Wednesday 12 Sept. 1888, reported:

Mr. Saunders.
A man applied to Mr. Saunders at Worship-street to-day on behalf of another man for a summons for wages.
Mr. Saunders: Why doesn’t the man speak for himself?
Applicant: He can’t; he is a Pole.
Mr. Saunders: Well, then, let him go to Poland,
The applicant was about to leave the box when the magistrate said he had better explain the matter. The man then said that the Pole’s master – a Jewish tailor – had not paid his wages, and kept putting him off from week to week.
Mr. Saunders: The Pole has no business in this country. He is taking the bread out of the mouths of Englishmen. You may have a summons, but I hope you won’t succeed.

This seems to have been an off-day for Saunders, as the same edition of the Star further reports:

His Imagination Fired by Hanbury-street.
A woman living in Whitechapel asked at Worship-street for protection against her husband, who had threatened to cut her heart out and burn it. – Mr. Saunders: But he would not do that. It would be no use to him. – Applicant: But he says he will. – Mr. Saunders: Well, I will send an officer to caution him.

The Pall Mall Gazette, 13 Sept. 1888 covered these cases as follows:

Mr. Saunders, the Worship-street police magistrate, ought to be prosecuted for a speech he made yesterday, if the law against inciting to riot is to be impartially administered. An application was made to him on behalf of a Pole for a summons against his master, a Jew tailor, who would not pay the wages alleged to be due. This is the speech that Mr. Saunders made:-

The Pole has no business in this country. He is taking the bread out of the mouths of Englishmen. You may have a summons, but I hope you won’t succeed!

Now, whatever may be Mr. Saunders’s private opinion as to the immigration of foreigners, that immigration has so far been unchecked by the Legislature, whose laws Mr. Saunders is paid to administer. Yet this audacious Jack-in-office goes out of his way to throw discredit on the law, and to insult an applicant for justice, who is as much entitled to the protection of the law as any subject of the Queen’s can be. A gross breach of decorum, if not of duty.

And this same magistrate presently had before him one William Bailey, on a charge of maliciously wounding a woman named Tidmarsh, with whom he lived. It was stated that the woman’s face had been fearfully mutilated. The story was that when about to go to bed on the previous evening the prisoner had struck her, whereupon she told him he was “like Leather Apron.” He then knocked her down, and she remembered no more till the police found her in a pool of blood. “Without hearing the medical evidence,” Mr. Saunders ordered this brute to enter into his own recognizances to keep the peace for six months, and he left the dock abusing the prosecutrix. This man had frequently assaulted the woman before, though she had not summoned him before. It will not be Mr. Saunders’s fault if he does not mutilate her still more.

I included this PMG report mainly because of the almost timely use of “Jack,” and the rather fine double negative ending.

Best wishes
alex

NB As the more astute will have realised already, the case of the woman seeking protection from her husband, reported in the Star, and the Bailey/Tidmarsh case from the PMG are not the same case. I got these confused as they were reported together in the Daily Telegraph, 13 Sept. 1888. - Sorry.

(Message edited by alex on March 06, 2004)

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, R.J. and Alex. So it wouldn't have been out of character for Saunders, charmer that he seems to have been, to have just shown Albert the door (since Bachert Sr. was a German immigrant).

Good stuff :-)

Dave

una forsyth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

more on these "vanishings" can be found in James Morton's "East End Gangland" pub: timewarner. He states the victims were: Mary Steward; Eliza Carter; Millie Jeffs; "an old lady of 67 who disappeared from Keogh Road", and Carl Wagner. All referred to as The West Ham Vanishings.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of a business directory listing for John Bachert? Since he's listed as a tailor in both the 1881 and 1891 census, maintained a house at 13 Newnham-street for apparently at least ten years, and seems to have been in possession of a tidy sum of cash and jewelry in 1887, I'd have thought he might have had his own business. I've tried searching for him in the 1884 London Business Directory with no luck. I've searched all tailors under the "B" section in case the name was misspelled, but couldn't find him.

Maybe I'm missing him, or perhaps John Bachert worked for someone else? I wonder if anyone any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The following info on Backert's parents may be of use:

13 Newnham Street, Whitechapel
Head: John Bachert aged 49 born Germany - Tailor
Wife: Georgina Bachert aged 48 born Germany

1891:
13 Newnham Street, Whitechapel
Head: John Backert aged 50 born Mecklenburg, Germany - Tailor
Wife: Georgina Backert aged 49 born Hanover, Germany

1901:
15 Robert Street, Holborn
Head: John Bachert aged 64 born Germany - Tailor
Widowed

Georgina Bachert, Albert's mother, died in 1896. Her death was registered in the 2nd quarter of that year at Pancras and her age at death was given as 62 (Volume 1b Page 37).

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4256
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, no luck with the tailor but I noticed that the "Times" July 18th 1883 carries an advert for a parlourmaid looking for a job, age 28, address 13 Newnham St (the east end Newnham St). I can only assume that Bachert had a relative staying there at the time. There was an Augusta F Bachert, parlourmaid, living in York in 1881 age 25.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris and Robert

I saw that parlourmaid advertisement earlier today. There's another one for a coachman, 8 March 1884,a married male who's 31, initials are T.H. I had misread both of them thinking they were ads asking for maids and coachmen to come to 13 Newnham, so thanks for pointing it out.

Back about a year and a half ago, Chris told me about Augusta Bachert but besides the shared last name, there wasn't anything connecting her to the family. That ad you've mentioned might be an indication that she was indeed a relation.

I wonder if this married coachman, T.H. (who thoroughly understood hunters) was possibly Emily Bachert's husband. She appears in the household in 1881 but not in 1891. I wondered if she had married or possibly died.

Chris, thanks for that 1901 listing in particular. I'll keep checking for a directory listing.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

The TH advert was for the Edgware Rd Newnham St, which is in the west end, whereas Bachert's Newnham St was in the east end.

It had to be complicated, Dave, because

1. It's Britain.
2. It's JTR!

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, of course the 1883 parlourmaid ad may not be Augusta - it could have been placed by a female lodger who moved in after 1881.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, double Newnham-streets. My reading skills are particularly poor today. I also hear you about Augusta Bachert.

Thank you, Robert!

Cheers,
Dave

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi dave
The 1901 took some finding for the names were reversed and misspelt!
He is actually in the 1901 index as:
Bachart (Forename)
John (Surname)
Why is life never simple???
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Free BMD has an Emilie Marie H Bachert marrying in Whitechapel, June quarter 1884. The husband seems to have been either Samuel Shillingford Bryant or William Richardson.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4260
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, John Bachert had a cross in the employer column for 1891, so I guess he must have been his own boss then.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 6:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this item in the "Times" Oct 12th 1888 under "Bechert" :

The offending item was actually published on the Saturday, Oct 6th :

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for settling that matter about John Bachert for me, Robert. Much appreciated.

The articles about Bradlaugh and A. Bachert are terrific finds, too. They remind me a bit of Bachert's later run-in with Wynne Baxter. Bradlaugh's an interesting person in his own right, whom I've read a little about--Parliament wouldn't let him take his seat in 1880 because he refused the Bible oath. It took him six years and two elections to finally get to hold the seat he was elected to. I guess they must teach Bradlaugh in school over there.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4266
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

I'm not really aware of them making a big thing of Bradlaugh over here.

To tell you the truth, Parliament ain't what it used to be. It used to be a field.

Robert

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Regarding the "Ham Vanishings", Colin Wilson states in "The Mammoth Book of the History of Murder" that there were at least 12 lost souls between 1881 and 1890. It appears that only two were found dead; Jeffs and Wagner. Eliza's torn dress was later discovered in a field but she was never located. This account also says that Amelia Jeffs was actually one of three girls who disappeared together. He does not name the other two. She was later found brutally murdered but the others remain missing. This rendition of the case hints that, due to witnesses and, perhaps, some other things known to police, there was a suspicion that the killer was a woman.

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

I wrote about the "Vanishings" case as one of the World's Ten Most Wanted criminals 1880-1899. The article was published in the April 2002 issue of America's Most Wanted News Magazine. I posted an outline of that work in the Articles section of the Media Boards here.

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.