Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Could Profiling go the way of Bertill... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Could Profiling go the way of Bertillonage? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

With the dismal performance of profilers over the past few years, how much longer can they last? I suspect in twenty years they will be gone and nearly forgotten.

Best regards,

Stan

Steve Swift
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What dismal performance would this be?

Profiling is derived from Psychology and as such is not an exact science.If you had actually ever read anything from a 'profiler' you would of course know this.

I suspect in twenty years they will still be here trying their utmost to solve some appaling crimes....you on the other hand........

Best regards,

Steve

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

Actually, their performance is worse than dismal, it's been harmful. They have led police down the wrong road and away from the true perpetrator with tragic results. I wonder how many more people would still be alive today if they'd not gotten BTK, Derek Todd Lee, Art Shawcross and the D.C. Snipers wrong.

As for me 20 years from now or 50 years from now for that matter, I suspect that I'll still be writing about crime and getting paid for it.

Goodies,

Stan

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan and Steve,

I just wanted to point out, while Bertillion's system is now downplayed part of it is still used in complete identification information (they still make some measurements, but it is like additional information aside from fingerprints). My guess is that they won't totally discard using some form of profiling as an additional set of points for possibly showing a captured criminal's identified method of operation.

My real sweating point is what if some defect still surfaces regarding fingerprinting and DNA.
If these are damaged by some future case (like the Adolph Beck or Will Wright cases that damaged Bertillionage), we're going to have some real problems.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

Bertillonage (and I've seen it spelled both ways) was quite a good idea in its time and I can see where it could be of some use today. There have been some challenges to DNA and the all holy fingerprints of late. Even if you accept their assertion that the chance of two people having the same fingerprint is 1:86,000,000,000, that means that there's a 50/50 chance that two people in the history of the world have had the same fingerprints. It would be unlikely, however, that they would both have been alive at the same time.

Best regards,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.