Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Karla Homolka to be released today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Karla Homolka to be released today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a sad day in Canada. Did the Crown make a deal with the devil?

Monday, July 4, 2005
Globe and Mail Update

Karla Homolka was due to be released from a Quebec prison some time before sundown Monday, ending her 12-year sentence for the sex-slayings of two Ontario teenagers.

Since Thursday, reporters and camera crews have been camped outside the gates of the Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary where the 35-year-old is being held.

Her sentence expires Monday and federal guidelines dictate she must be released during daylight hours. Corrections officials have said they will issue a formal statement once Homolka has left the site.

Ms. Homolka's lawyer has said Ms. Homolka has no intention of meeting with the media after her release.

Early Monday, about 60 reporters congregated outside penitentiary, while six satellite trucks and numerous cars made the area look like a huge parking lot.

Outside the prison, about 30 guards — who have been without a contract since 2002 — also staged an early-morning picket, taking advantage of the media spotlight shone on the institution.

Meanwhile, Ms. Homolka's lawyers appeared in Quebec Superior Court on Monday morning, looking again to limit media coverage following release. Lawyers representing a number of media outlets countered that Ms. Homolka should be present. The hearing broke off shortly after beginning as lawyers conferred.

Monday's hearing marks the second time Ms. Homolka has sought an injunction against the media, arguing the intense scrutiny has left her fearing for her life.

An earlier request for an injunction was unsuccessful.

Ms. Homolka was sentenced in 1993 after pleading guilty to two counts of manslaughter as part of an agreement with the Crown to testify against former husband Paul Bernardo in the case.

The agreement — considered by many as a deal with the devil — was made before the discovery of tapes depicting the killings of teenagers Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy. Those tapes raised questions about Ms. Homolka's role in the slayings and her claim that abuse by Mr. Bernardo led to her participation.

The 12-year sentence also took into consideration Ms. Homolka's part in the death of her sister, Tammy Homolka, who died after Ms. Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Mr. Bernardo could rape her.

After her release, Ms. Homolka will be subject to a series of tight restrictions on her activities as a result of an application made by the Ontario government last month in a Quebec courtroom under a rarely used section of the Criminal Code.

That court ruling means she must tell authorities where she is living and whom she is with after her release. She must also attend therapy for one year, abstain from drug use, have no contact with anyone under the age of 16 and give police 96 hours notice if she plans to leave Quebec. As well, she was required to provide a court-ordered DNA sample.

Ms. Homolka will also be forbidden from communicating with former husband Paul Bernardo and the families of victims Ms. French and Ms. Mahaffy.

She will also be prohibited from communicating with anyone who has a criminal record. That includes convicted murderer Jean-Paul Gerbet, with whom she had reportedly been romantically involved while incarcerated.

For more on Jean-Paul Gerbet see...

http://ourmedia.org/node/20774

colleen johnston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karla is just another one of those precious spoiled daughters who HAS to have what she wants. She's a person with no boudaries. The difference between her and someone like Monica Lowinsky (I want to blow the President)is that Karla happens to be a psychopath. Add no conscience to the narcissistic personalities of both "girls" and you have someone who will cheerfully kill anyone who may enhance, or interfere with what she wants. Karla loved the dream white wedding and carriage and her handsome lover husband Paul. Anyone, even her own sister, who got in the way of her perfect image dream, had to go. Poor sucker Bernardo now feels the impact of Karla's manipulations. He's in jail forever, and she's out. How clever of her! The teens of Montreal had better be protected by moms like me. During her abducting-killing spree my daughter was in the same area as Leslie and Kristen, same age, same looks. It could have been my daughter, except that I made sure that I knew where she was every second of the day. I am a teacher, and my daughter hated me for being so controlling. Forgive me for sounding sanctimonious, but moms, look after your daughters! No parties except at home when you're there. No free time. Keep them busy with music and swimming and crafts and overall take control. You may have to give up your so-called free time, and not have a social life. I was a single parent since my daughter was six, but never dated. As a teacher I hear about girls who are abused by mummy's friends all the time. Moms in Montreal need to hear my message and take control. How? Take the time; enroll your daughters in whatever, and be there for them 24/7. If and when they are interested in swimming or clothes or whatever, if they push the boudaries by staying out late or being rude, take away the perks. Don't worry. They appreciate the strictness. Kids want that sort of routine. Many parents I deal with are too easily drawn into being friends with their kids. OY! Get real, and be responsible, moms, and protect yourselves from predators like Karla. She is a monster, and she will find vulnerable daughters, abuse them, and kill them, if you let her.}

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

COLLEEN COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. It is just a matter of time before she re-offends i just hope it is not in a fatal way. Her time will come. "Gizmo"
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

Karla was foolish enough to believe that she could lead a normal life after her so called "deal with the devil". She thought that she could go back to her hometown and be accepted as a victim. When the tapes of her assisting in the killings were finally found due to the the fact that Peter's lawyer held on to them too long so as to violate Canadian law, the game was over for her. (The police tore the house to the ground yet could not find those tapes. The tapes were hidden in the light fixture and were turned over to Peter's lawyer.)

Karla is now begging for police protection and the police are making it clear to her that she made her deal and will now have to live with the consequences. Her life as a normal member of society is over to put it mildly. She can go nowhere near her old stomping grounds and not be in danger. She will be looking over her shoulder for the rest of her life.

She would be safer in prison in solitary confinement. Yet somehow even if this were the case, prisons have a way of meeting out justice by having a guard look the other way while some particularly unpleasant type hands down the verdict of the well structured prison hierarchy.

She will have to disappear forever and even then she will never feel safe.

While I was up in Canada visiting my father. I was lucky enough to speak with some people who were in one way or another involved in the case.

All The Best
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.