Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 27, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » BTK » Archive through February 27, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
BTK seems to have fairly long "cooling off" periods, presuming there are not more murders as yet unconnected to him of course. His known crimes, with dates, are:

1) Jan 15, 1974, where he kills 4 members of the Otero family (the husband, wife, and 2 kids; the other 3? children were at school). He strangles all these victims, and they are tied up with cord

about 2.5 months later and

2) April 4, 1974: he kills Kathryn Bright by stabbing.

Then, there's a long cooling off period of almost 3 years until

3) March 17, 1977, where he kills Shirley Vian, again by tieing her up and strangulation.

another 9 months go by until

4) Dec 8, 1977, he kills Nancy Fox, again tieing her up and strangluation.

then again, another fairly long period and

5) Apr 28, 1979 and he breaks into a house, waits around, and finally leaves when the owner doesn't arrive. He later sends a letter to let them know he was there.

Then, there's another long period of about 7.5 years until

6) Sept 16, 1986, when he kills Vicki Wegerle by strangulation. This is the victim who's photo he sent this year.

Now, we know he took photo's at the last victims crime scene (polaroids; so he didn't have to develope them himself). John Douglas has suggested that BTK took crime scene photosbased upon the detail described in the letters sent to the police from the previous crimes (Vicki's murder was not connected to BTK officially until the recent letter arrived), and it seems this detail was correct.

BTK seems to enjoy the fear he generates, but he enjoys the killing too. Otherwise, there was no point in killing Vicki and not announcing his return (especially when it became clear the police weren't going to make the connection). However, in 1979 he seems to have satisfied himself with scaring someone, even though his intention was to kill them. But, when the didn't arrive and he got bored, he left. It was enough to annouce his return, and he probably took something from the house as a "trophy".

His first murder, that we know of, required him to control 2 adults and 2 children at the same time, so it's probable he has a gun. He cut the phone lines (so he has some sort of wire cutters, and he knows enough "handyman stuff" to know what wire is the phone line and to avoid cutting a major power line and electrocuting himself as I probably would!). He ties them up, but I'm not sure if it's with chords found in the house or if he's brought them with him? I thiink the latter, but am not sure. But generally he seems to have things planned and organised.

Surviving witnesses indicate he wore a mask (so he's thought of how to conceal his identity in the case something goes wrong).

Although he probably brought a gun, he either stabs or strangles his victims. Once his victims are tied up, to use the gun would run the risk of people hearing it fire. Again, he's demonstrating that he knows how to reduce the risk of being caught; he's clear headed in his thinking, although clearly he's misguided as well.

Given that his 2nd crime was a stabbing, this might indicate that something went wrong and he wasn't able to control her as well as the previous victims. As she was alone, rather than risk the sound of a gun shot, however, he stabs her. Or, he's experimenting with different methods of killing, maybe to try and keep the police from linking the crimes. His first letter isn't sent until Oct of 1974, so he may not have realised what excites him most (the media attention).

In some of his letters, he indicates he's aware of other serial killers, like Son of Sam, Jack the Ripper, and Zodiac. I would suspect that BTK is an avid reader of true crime novels, and probably has books by the various profilers that have come out recently. His recent letter may have been sent because of the recent capture and conviction of Ridgeway, the Green River Killer. BTK seems to compare himself to other "unsolved" serial killers, as if they are in some sort of club of successful "lone wolf's". With Ridgeway now captured, Zodiac probably dead, JtR definately dead, BTK may now see himself as the only real living success story. But, since his 1986 killing was never connected to him, he needs to show he's not a "has been". The recent letter re-lights the fear that he used to cause and perhaps draws the spotlight away from Ridgeway and back to where he thinks it should be, on himself.

Apparently, the letters he sent were repeated photocopies from the original typed version (he typed it, photocopied that, then photocopied the photocopy, etc for some number of "generations"). This makes it virtually impossible to determine what typewriter was orignally used. Interestingly, this is similar to the letter sent after the murder of Cheri Jo Bates, which was typed with a large number of sheets of carbon paper to make something like a 12 generation copy. Some believe that Cheri Jo Bates was the 1st victim of the Zodia. No, I'm not saying BTK is Zodiac, but he may have heard about Zodiac doing this and did a more modern version with a photocopier. However, I'm not sure exactly when this Zodiac information was publicly known, so it could just be coincidence. Regardless, this again points to someone who carefully plans and thinks about how "not to get caught".

The photocopier was traced to the nearby University, although the letter itself was left in a book at the local public library. At least one poem was sent by BTK which was covered in a course at the University, and the book containing the letter was one used in an engineering course at the University as well (as I recall). Anyway, the use of "messages in library books", is not unheard of in spy novels, movies, etc, and as BTK seems to have put a fair amount of thought into not getting caught, the use of the University photocopier, and other links to the University may be attempts to mislead or they may also indicate that BTK has some sort of link to the University (either as a student, or he had employment there). His apparent knowledge of what books/poems were covered in courses suggest he has some actualy knowledge of University content, but then this could be gained by getting a University course calander that lists "required readings", etc.

BTK stole cars from 3 crime scenes, 2 of which were left on the same street (though in different locations). This could indicate that he either lives on this street, or maybe rather that he then picks up public transport (i.e. a bus) on this street to make his "get away". It's a main street by the looks of it on the map I have, and the marked locations seem to indicate these two cars were left on the same side of the street. If he's getting public transport, based upon the side of the street he leaves the car, then the "bus" would "double back" (head east) from the apparent direction (westerly) he leaves both crime scenes. If, however, he lives on this street, or on a side street from it, I would suspect he lived somewhere between the two drop off points. (This would place his residence almost in the middle of the first 5 crime scenes I listed above actually). The 3rd car that was taken was from the 1986 crime, and again it heads west from the crime scene, but he only traveled 2 blocks before dumping the car, and it again appears that if he were to catch a "bus" (let's say) from that side of the street, the "bus" would be heading along the major road (13th street) back in towards the area of the rest of the crimes.

I would think, BTK must have lived on his own, and not with parents, etc, at the time of the original crimes. Given that he still has his photos, victims driver's licence, etc, I think it's unlikely he was in jail for any extended period of time (where did he keep these things without them being found, and yet also be able to get hold of them again? one option is at a relatives, but I would guess he just never went to jail). Witness reports are all pretty poor, but they place him in the mid 20's to early 30's I think. So, BTK is now probably mid to late 40's early 50's. Certainly he should still be considered dangerous. The recent attention given to such individuals as the snipers, and the capture of the Green River Killer Gary Ridgeway(One of his idols, in that he wants to be compared with him), the recent release of the movie Monster about Aileen Wournos (sp?), and the Jack the Ripper movie not so long ago (as bad as it was), and there's plans to release a movie about Zodiac. All this attention is being given to others, and BTK thinks he's being overlooked, despite plans for a book on him. The recent letter has solved that problem, will probably ensure more copies of "his" book are sold, and so "he" will be known to more people.

I'm would not be so sure he'll contact anyone again, but I also wouldn't be surprised. He may find this one communication enough, or he may find he needs more. Likely, though, there is something else that has happened in his life that has sparked his need to communicate once again. More than just the movies about "others", more than the capture of the GRK, something more personal. Either his wife has left him, or died, or he's lost his job. Something has happened that has lowered his self esteem, or made him feel like a nobody. So, he's reasserted himself to let the world know he's a "somebody", he has power and control.

Anyway, these are just some ideas that I've thought up from what little I've been able to find out about BTK these past few days. It's mostly speculation, with a few facts thrown in to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I've attached a map I found on the Web which indicates the locations and a few descriptions of the BTK crimes.

Hmmmm, another one of my long rambling posts. ha!

- Jeff

Dan Norder
Police Constable
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 2:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a long but very well thought out post, Jeff. Your observations on the placement of the cars and the crime scenes seemed like the sort of thing that could be dead on.

Didn't see any attachment, though.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
Apparently the attachment didn't upload. I'll try again when I'm back at work after the weekend. I found a PDF file while reading up on BTK on the net, which included the map I mentioned. I can't remember what web site it was, but a google search on the exact phrase "BTK strangler" brings up a bunch of links, and it's on one of those. Since I checked quite a few, I can't recall which one specifically.

All the stuff I've mentioned, of course, is just theory and if the map is innaccurate, well, the car placement stuff is wrong. I can't be sure the cars really were on the same side of the street, but that's how it look in the map.

One other interesting parallel with Zodiac, is that Zodiac called the police from a payphone, which he then left off the hook. BTK did the same thing. Overall, the crimes are very different though, so I don't think it's the same person, but some interesting similarities.

Enough to suggest he reads up on previously successful (meaning not caught) SKs. I don't think there was a book on Zodiac in the late 70's though? Graysmith's book was an 80's publication, though the press covered Zodiac. Also, BTKs reference to a "monster" in his head, sounds very Son of Sam like. BTK seems to emulate others, as if he gets his ideas from them. That's why I think he would read a lot of True Crime, and most definately would have John Douglas's book that has a chapter on him.

And, since they found fingerprints for BTK, I don't think he could be in jail, before or since, as his prints would be on record. I think police and military have to submit prints too, so he's unlikely to have either of those backgrounds.

- Jeff

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Ok, I'll try attaching this map again. Over the weekend, I've verified a few things. First, BTK did bring the chords with him. He's prepared to "tie people up". And, by the sounds of it, he must have had enough to tie up 4 people at the first crime scene. That seems to indicate he knows how many people are going to be there. So, he's watched these people for some time. This indicates he's thought about how to control 4 people, and he's planned this crime down to the last detail.

The taking and dumping of the car could partly be to delay people from noticing the inacctivity in the house. Cars not there, they must be out. The 2nd thing this does is indicate a direction of travel. If the "double back" idea is considered, it's just a way to help divert the investigation. To look in the wrong location/direction.

Anyway, I've converted the file to a jpeg (it was a bit map, which makes it about 6 times the size). I've also been playing with some "geographical profiling", and have written up a bit of a program to plot things. I've marked what this program indicates to be the "hot spot". As a warning, the program I've written is very incomplete, and does not factor in many many variables of importance. Given the way the routines work, it basically finds a location in the middle of the pattern of crime scenes - always. Obviously, serial killers are capable of travelling in one direction only when on the hunt. In such a case, the "hot spot", or home/work location, is going to be outside all of the crime scenes. I've marked the location in red, just as a point of interest, but I would be highly surprised if this location has any significance whatsoever with respect to these crimes.

- Jeff

BTK Map

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yah. BTK doesn't mention the Green River Killer as one of his "idols". He mentions Jack the Ripper, Son of Sam, and the Hillside Stranglers. This is during his request for a name, which he then supplies. Again, this indicates his focus is on being recognised, his crave for attention. Media publicity fuels his ego and fantacies more than the act of killing alone. He gets off on the crimes, which is why he takes photos to relive them, but it's the fear he instills in the communtiy that really gives him the boost.

As a curiosity, and probably a coincidence, if one draws a line from Crime Scene 1 to the location where he dumps the car from that crime, the line extends through crime scene 3. And, if one does the same for crime scene 4, that line passes through crime scene 5 (on the map; technically the 6th of his series since the 5th was aborted). This probably is just a coincidence, but if there were another unsolved murder post 1986 that was alone the line from Crime Scene 5 to the location of the car, then this would get spooky enough to suggest that BTK was pointing to future crime locations. If that were true (and that's a really big if), this could explain the long delays between crimes. It takes years for him to plan the next crime because it has to be along a particular route. Of course, the big problem with such a complicated theory is the fact that there are no pointers to the locations of the Bright or Fox murders, nor for the aborted crime on Apr. 28th, 1979. Hence, I really don't put any stock in this idea, and it's probably more of a curiosity than anything else.

- Jeff Hamm

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know...this whole thing smells like copycat to me.

If not - I would expect this guy to try and hit again soon.

B

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian,
Not sure what you mean by "whole thing"? Do you mean BTK is copycatting since 1974, or that the 1986 crime is a copycat version of the previous BTK series? Both are plausible, as it does appear that BTK "copycats" Son of Sam and "Jack the Ripper" by sending letters to the press/police (ok, as far as JtR is concerned, he's copycatting what is generally percieved to be JtR's behaviour, not what those more versed in the case tend to believe; but it's perception, not reality, that matters here). I would think, however, that if someone copycatted BTK in 1986, it would be odd to wait until 2004 to point out that your crime was supposed to be linked to the older series. But it makes a twisted kind of sense for the 1970's BTK to claim responsibility for a crime in the 80's if nobody made the connection before. It increases the "fear" and "doubts"; what other crimes did he do? What other crimes might he do now? etc.

- Jeff

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

No, what I mean is the most recent letter being a copycat. Whoever this guy is - he'd be 30 years older now. I just don't see him being able to last this long without another killing.

I think whoever sent that letter isn't the original BTK.

B

Dan Norder
Sergeant

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

No, what I mean is the most recent letter being a copycat. Whoever this guy is - he'd be 30 years older now. I just don't see him being able to last this long without another killing.

I think whoever sent that letter isn't the original BTK.

I still don't follow this.

Do you mean the person who wrote the letter was a copycat letter writer and found the photos from the crime scene somehow and, instead of sending them to police, wrote a crank letter?

Or do you mean the killer in that last case was a copycat and also decided to send of an email copycatting a BTK letter with photos he himself took?

One thing to consider as a possibility is that people who get older may not be as physically or mentally up to killing as they were when they were younger. The desire may be there, but they just may not be up to it, for health or other reasons. If the guy is, say, 60, he may be walking with a cane. He could have screwed up his legs at some point. He might have severe asthma or something.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian,

BTK is probably somewhere between 50 and 65 (his first killing between the ages of 20 and 35, let's say). That means there's no reason to think he couldn't still be alive. We don't know if he actually stopped killing in 1986 either. The police hadn't linked that crime to the others until this letter arrived. The police are pretty sure the letter is from the genuine BTK. Personally, I would think if someone committs a murder in 1986, which at the time is not linked to BTK, does not get solved, it would be foolish to get the investigation into that murder going again by sending a letter pretending to be BTK 18 years later? Send this in 1986, sure, but in 2004? No way.

After 18 years, all a copycat would achieve is the reopening of a cold case, which increases their chance of being caught when they've already got away with it.

- Jeff

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

What I mean is that I think that the guy who sent this letter was probably the '86 killer, but not necessarily the original BTK.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. He does a spree in '74. Then another in '77. Then another in '79. These are the confirmed ones.

Then nothing confirmed until '86, and he never claims '86 until 2004.

This just doesn't make sense. There are 4 killings before '86 and there are 10 other murders that occurred since '86 that are similiar to BTK killings. Why send letters in about that one only?

There's just something fishy about this to me.

B

Dan Norder
Sergeant

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 5:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,

Perhaps that's the only crime he had photos of that he was willing to part with? I don't know, hard to tell. I'd just like to think that they'll catch this guy and sort it all out so we can get answers on just what's going on... Well, and bring the guy to justice too, I don't want to overlook that.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Dr. Dymphna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! This looks like a good Board.
In terms of BTK, I was thinking Parole, or perhaps this chap has been in seminary. I was thinking also that in light of the seriology issue regarding the semen collected that perhaps he suffered from Chlamydia, or perhaps he had a recent vacsectomy before the semen had been collected. In light of the factor x that he referred to, I was thinking an algorhythm issue or perhaps solving for x...algebra, as a tie in to zodiac, as the note in their evidence suggested.
Antisocial personality, perhaps maybe even in the military.
What else? perhaps something regarding the possible link to the military murder in colorado springs, and perhaps he may have killed in Louisiana.
I ran a few of the ISP's and found that one person that corresponded to me in a blind e mail that I keep was coming from somewhere around the gulf coast of louisiana, but sender kept giving me a bad e mail so I could not trace it fully.
Dymphna,
Retired Investigator, currently psych major/ in grad school toward Doctorate in Forensic Psychology

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Watson -

To that end I say to him or any other hitherto anonymous SK's out there-- if you think you are so brilliant, try matching wits with me! I undertand you better than you know yourselves!
Clarice Starling my ass! Afraid to tangle with the real thing?

Aside from the fact that the reality of the situation is that you'd probably crap your pants if someone like the Zodiac or BTK wrote you informing you of what they'll be doing to your (insert loved one here) later on that evening, I find this statement a bit to cocky to let slip by.

You infer that you are of a faster wit and a stronger character with that statement, and by implication that you are smarter than they are. One needn't be schooled in quantum mechanics to grasp the concept that it's a bad idea to provoke people of this caliber, let alone call into judgement their intelligence.

It's easy to talk smack, but let's not romanticize anything. You are just as human as the rest of us and if you WERE to be brought face to face with one of these individuals, I highly doubt you would keep the same arrogant attitude.

Anyone else agree with me or am I being a little to nit picky? Having recently quite smoking has had a dramatic effect on my ability to put up with many things, to include arrogance.

crix0r

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,
Congrates on quitting smoking! Good luck with it. And no, you're not being nitpicky. Chances are low that BTK or any other serial killer is actively prowling these boards (they have better things to do with their time as far as they are concerned). Most SK's do not want attention, and those that do look to TV and News, not BB. Still, it's not a good idea to provoke such people. The police will pro-actively try to make contact, but normal Joe Bloggs should not.

- Jeff

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,
FYI: BTK didn't give up his original photo as I understand it. He sent a photocopy of the picture. He kept his trophies, he just needed to prove he had them.

- Jeff

Dan Norder
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff-

Photocopies would make more sense. Not sure if I misread the news report or if it was ambiguous and I filled in a detail incorrectly.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
My understanding from the news reports is that he sent a photocopy of the drivers licence and 3 crime scene pictures. There was also a 2 page typed letter included as well, though I've seen reports say there was no letter, other indicate the 2 page typed one (computer printer maybe?). Anyway, some of the papers don't inidicate the stuff was photocopy versions.

BTK would keep the originals as they are "his" after all. They're his trophies. Another reason might also be that he's had the originals for so long, he may be worried they are full of fresh DNA evidence from his handling them over the years. He can't help the fact he left DNA evidence at the crime scenes, but he can try and preven them from getting any fresh samples. He could be hoping that the old samples are not good enough for use.

I suspect his primary motive was that he does not want to give up his originals though. The lack of traceable evidence is probably just a favorable addition.

- Jeff

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops! I think the 2 page typed letter was in reference to a previouis BTK communication. The 2004 contact apparently is a typed envelope (computer probably), with one page showing photocopies of the drivers licence and the 3 crime scene photos. No words, apparently. Sorry about that.

- Jeff

Billy Markland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read in the Wichita Eagle that investigators had served a subpoena to Knight-Rider Digital requesting the names and personal information from the registrations of six unique User IDs of posters to the message board hosted by KRD about BTK.

I wonder if there is some hidden information that was mentioned? And just think, it is likely the FBI, etc. will read this. Lucky us.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/8489943.htm

Billy

Dan Norder
Sergeant

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Witchita Eagle message boards have some interesting posts. There are a few obvious social misfits (on the Internet? say it isn't so!) that might have attracted attention from their attitudes. There is theorizing (including amateur profiles and so forth) that gets quite detailed and insightful (one that stood out was claiming BTK must be out of town because the latest message was mailed to newspaper with a name on the address that it hasn't been called for many years). There are also the obligatory conspiracy theories (one poster accuses another with the username "breathtaking" of being BTK because those three letters appear in the name). What I find most interesting are the side crimes that some people are trying to tie in, like the women reporting a peeping tom believed to have also broken into their homes and stolen money and personal items around the early cases and closeby to the murder scenes (he was caught once and not officially tied to the murders).

One thing I'm curious about that I picked up on from the news articles I read was that BTK supposedly has a special mark or symbol known only to the police that is used to ID his correspondence... I wonder if the latest message has that or not.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
I've not come across any reference to this "special mark" of BTK other than he chose BTK as his "code word". If he did/does have such a "secret mark", that could be why the police are 100% convinced it's the real deal.

- Jeff

Misty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I just finished writing an article regarding the BTK serial killer. Here's the url if any are interested in reading it. Would be interested on comments. Thanks!

http://www.misty.angelcities.com/BTK1.html

Dan Norder
Sergeant

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Misty,

It's a good read, but personally asking a serial killer to email you probably isn't a wise thing. I doubt he's going to answer personal challenges from private individuals, but I don't think it's worth the risk just the same.

Misty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
Thanks and you're probably right about not taking the chance, but I highly doubt he would take the chance of emailing me anyways. I rather doubt this article is of much importance to him in the long run; he'd rather see his name in papers, etc.

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTK referenced several serial killers (although he did not refer to them as such), including the ones mentioned above, but also Ted Bundy, H.H. Holmes, and someone called the "Pantyhose Strangler of Florida." I'm currently subscribed to another message board that deals solely with BTK (which is why you haven't seen me lately), where there's a lot of very good information on BTK and his crimes. This is a peculiarly fascinating (not to mention disturbing) case in many regards, not just for the 25-year silence but also for the taunting, attention-seeking letters BTK sent to the press. Their adolescent language and tone seem at odds with the cool, calculated killer revealed both in the crimes themselves and in the phone call made to 911 to report the Fox murder. I don't by any means feel he was some sort of "genius," just that he was criminally sophisticated and lucky in that he committed his crimes in the jurisdiction of a police force with virtually no experience in this area.

As far as a profile goes, I think John Douglas is pretty on-target. BTK is a control freak whose life has been marred by failures that he blames on everyone but himself. A classic narcissistic sociopath, he has a bit of insight into his pathology, but as is typical of this kind of personality, places the responsibility for his homicidal urges on a "monster" within who is outside his control. I suspect he feels that a lot of things in his life are out of control, which is why he feels such a desperate need to be in control of the victims. He may have been in the military, although he probably wouldn't have lasted long, given that this type isn't particularly good at taking orders or at getting along with people. I wouldn't expect him to have anything but a menial job for this same reason. I know a lot of people have said he was probably a student, and while I think that's possible, I don't see him as the type to have the discipline necessary to finish a four-year degree, much less anything higher. He's also probably relatively unsuccessful with women, and if he has a wife or girlfriend, she's younger and/or intellectually inferior to him. I think it's also possible he lives or lived with an older female relative, possibly his mother, who would have psychologically and possibly sexually and physically abused him as a child and may have suffered from something like Borderline Personality Disorder herself. His father, if he was around, was probably a violent sociopath who was largely physically and/or emotionally unavailable to BTK. He grew up with an enormous amount of rage, particularly against women. This is evident in the more brutal treatment meted out to his female victims. It seems significant that the 9-year-old male victim at the first scene had three bags or hoods over his face; to me this suggests that either BTK was performing some elaborate BDSM ritual, as he did on the boy's sister (who was tied with extra ropes, stripped from the waist down, and hung from a pipe), or that BTK actually felt some remorse for this particular murder. As I suggested before, he probably maintains a collection of sadomasochistic pornography, where he might get some of his ideas for the crime scenes. John Douglas feels that based on the language used in the letters and on the phone, as well as certain aspects of his behavior at the scenes (wiping away fingerprints, for example) BTK likely has an interest in law enforcement. I think it's possible he applied for, and was turned down, the Wichita Police Department, and may have even taken a position as a security guard, which would satisfy his craving to be involved in something resembling law enforcement and give him a lot of "alone time" to plan his murders. His murders and the break-in have all been committed Tuesdays or Thursdays, mostly during daylight hours, so I think it's likely that he has these days off and works an overnight shift. It's also possible, given the connections to WSU, that he actually worked as a campus police officer there.

I'm still not certain he hasn't been in prison all these years, since it's not certain that the fingerprint left at one scene is actually his. He may have also been in the military, or indisposed in some other way.

At this point I'm feeling pretty pessimistic that the WPD will be able to catch him this time, despite the DNA evidence. He's been covering his tracks for 30 years now. Serving subpoenas on message board users (not the one I use, by the way) and swabbing some 600 men in the area gives me the impression that the WPD is grasping at straws. Personally, I think they need to release more evidence to the public. BTK must have said something to someone in all these years, and there's no telling what might jog someone's memory or catch their attention--just look at the Unabomber case.

So that's my take on things. This one concerns me a bit more than most, which is why I've been neglecting you guys and spending so much time on it. Wichita is only a few hours away, so it's hit pretty close to home for me. Although I have my doubts, I really hope he's caught, and soon. I for one will certainly sleep better knowing this monster is behind bars.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
I just read today an article which indicated that BTK does leave some "secret signature" that has never been released by the police. Some sort of "mark" or symbol. Sounds very much like he's copying Zodiac on this one. Perhaps the police decided not to release such information because he's copied Zodiac's circle and cross, and they didn't want to create a press frenzy? The crimes themselves are so unlike Zodiac's, but so similar to each other, that it's unlikely the same person. And, if it were, looking for anyone living in Witchita in the 70's who also lived in California at the time of the Zodiac, would probably produce a small list that could be checked out quickly. Postal records would provide such information (wouldn't they?)

- Jeff

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin,
From taking part in a BB concerning BTK, I don't suppose you've come across any information that might indicate the location of the vacant lot that BTK used as his return address? I've seen the street address and all that, I mean do you know where it is on the map a few posts up?

I've seen a list of other "unsolved" homicides from the area, but I don't know where they would be on that map either. If you've seen a map, that plots out such things, would you be able to post it here? I'm playing around with some programs, and I need real maps of real crime locations.

- Jeff

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jeff,

Sorry it's taken me so long respond. The board in question was down for server upgrades and I didn't want to send you a dead link. The site is called "Crime and Justice" and it has a BTK thread here: http://p216.ezboard.com/fcrimeandjustice13552frm100. There are several excellent maps and other case resources there, particularly in the "Case Resources" thread. I don't believe there's one that includes the location of which you speak; however, you get a satellite view of any address you want from http://terraserver.microsoft.com. You can most definitely find a map which pinpoint the locations of the unsolved cases mentioned in the Eagle, as well as a map which includes both these and the locations of BTK's known murders.

I'm not sure what "vacant lot" you're referring to. The return address on the March 17 envelope (which you can also see on the site mentioned above), 1684 Oldmanor, doesn't exist. 1684 Old Manor does exist; however, it refers to a currently-vacant apartment in a fourplex that's part of the Parkwood Village complex.

If anyone's interested, Wichita TV station KAKE interviewed the former lead detective in the case, who revealed that the killer asked survivor Kevin Bright if he (BTK) had seen him (Bright) "at the university." The detective also indicated that BTK may have had ties to the tiny Rose Hill Airport, where one of the first victims, Joseph Otero, was an instructor. Apparently BTK's letters contained references to it. (According to other sources, BTK used terms that indicate some knowledge of aeronautical engineering, which may be what the detective was referring to.) He also revealed that Bright was hypnotized and taken to the Coleman plant, where both Kathryn Bright and Julie Otero had worked. You can find a summary of the report at www.kake.com/home/headlines/729482.html, or go to the Crime and Justice web site for the entire transcript.

Jeff Hamm
Inspector

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin,
Thanks! I misunderstood the press reports from earlier, and thought the address was a vacant lot beside a set of apartments, rather than a vacant unit in a 4-unit building.

And, thanks for all the information and links. Sounds like it will have everything I need.

- Jeff

Quentin L. Pittman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff I just read your post, so I apologize for the duplicative info.

Mentioning the Zodiac, however, I would add that convicted hit man and Zodiac suspect William Mentzer saw heavy combat in Vietnam when he was just 18 and 19 years old. He suffered from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder when he returned to California in 1968. Mentzer is serving life sentence without parole for the 1983 Los Angeles murder of New York theatrical producer Roy Radin and the 1984 slaying of prostitute June Mincher. Mentzer, who was interviewed by the San Francisco Post regarding the Zodiac killings, said he liked to taunt enemy North Vietnamese soldiers by taking pictures of their dead comrades. As the Post details, Mentzer said many other vets who came home to families that loved and supported them didn't suffer from the post-traumatic condition - but he returned home from Vietnam to find his wife pregnant by her lover, which exacerbated his condition.

I mention this in regards to BTK because 1) BTK or 'Born to Kill' was a popular phrase used by U.S. Marines in Vietnam; 2) it has long been suspected and confirmed in some that the BTK killer took photographs at each of his victims's crime scenes; and 3) BTK's genesis as a killer and covert abilities could have been honed in Vietnam, as were Mentzer's. It would explain why his initial 'kill' was a quad homocide.

I would caution too much further speculation down the Vietnam or Zodiac avenues, however. I think two better avenues worth considering when probing the BTK's identity are genetics and aviation, but only as they relate to either the killer or victimization.

With respect to genetics, BTK is the symbol for the genew or flash gene ‘Bruton
agammaglobulinemia tyrosine kinase’. Two corresponding diseases relate to ‘BTK’. They are ‘AGMX1' and ‘AGMGHX’. The latter is of interest in that this genatlas phenotype relates to defense and immune mechanisms and hormones. Specifically, it has to do with an isolated growth hormone deficiency. The disease is X-linked - a nugget of information we would be wise to remember when reviewing BTK's '78 reference to the 'X factor'. It generally produces short stature, retarded bone age, and a delayed onset of puberty and immunodeficiency characterized by an absent specific antibody production. The condition is more commonly known as ‘Fleisher syndrome’.

With respect to aviation, the BTK or basic turbine knowledge examination is a pre-requisite for a type rating training course for pilots employing an aircraft with a turbine powerplant (as opposed to the CPL examination, which exams the more common aspects of flight and aircraft performance). This avenue is of note given Joseph Otero, a victim of BTK's first homicide, was retired from the U.S. Air Force and worked as a flight instructor at the Rose Hill Airport (Wichita, Kansas). Otero was presumably familiar with both the CPL and BTK exams.

Quentin L. Pittman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have briefly read over these posts, so the following may be a facet already addressed. If so, I apologize. As an attorney for the State of Kansas, I reside in Wichita, Kansas, the BTK's homebase. With respect to the speculation over BTK's previous crimes and his last two (current) letters, let me state that officials are as definite as they can be that these recent communications came from the same person who sent previous letters to them which experts believe for various reasons are genuine. BTK employs a signature mark not disclosed to the general public which is present on all his correspondence. This is how the WPD have been able over the years to distinguish actual letters from cranks. This signature was present on the previous two letters. Moreover, I believe this signature will lead authorities to the killer in the near future. I will try to post more to this point and topic at a future date.

visitor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 5:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to let you know that there has been 3 letters from BTK and just recently he left a package at the library.

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy Visitor,

What did the package contain? I could go google it but I am feeling lazy. :-)

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 4:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Have spent about the past 3 hours reading up on this and it's all fascinating and frightening. Clearly there is a community living in fear in Wichita at the moment. One poster to the boards Erin mentions above claims to have a source in the police and through this source believes that BTK will be caught soon. He claims BTK is looking forward to the attention this will bring. He believes there will be no more murders as the killer is not mentally capable of it any more. He clearly hints that there were more communications to the police than the public knew about in the past and that some communications carried a specific mark. After each communication bearing the mark was received a murder followed. He states that the latest communication placed in the after hours deposit box at the library had this mark.

Stay safe in Wichita Quentin. Any insight you might have would be greatly welcomed here.
Scotty.

Merisa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, on the BTK issue.. I live in Wichita.. I remember when he came back.. I have the front pages of all the newspapers on my walls.. My family knew one of the Oteros.. We drive by the house every once in a while. The town was in such a state of fear, things have calmed down quite a bit since the initial shock of the return..
-Merisa

Julia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone happen to see Law and Order SVU last night? It was the story of a killer called RTK (a thinly veiled hat-tip to BTK) who, as it turned out, was a copycat. The references to BTK were numerous and dead-on...computer-generated notes to the police, a secret signature, addresses that turned out to be vacant lots, poetry filled with clues, an abusive mother...

Has anything happened recently in Wichita? Any more letters or photos sent to the press or police?

BJMarkland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Wichita Eagle is reporting a possible new BTK letter in this morning's edition. Their URL is http://www.wichitaeagle.com or http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/

Best of wishes,

Billy

BJMarkland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was reading the Forum messages at the Wichita Eagle this morning and ran across this transcript of an interview with John Douglas by Eric Leonard about BTK on KFI in Los Angeles. Interesting reading.

http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/display.asp?webtag=kr-kansas_news&msg=3345.2

The URL to Leonard's show, The Crime Hunter, (unfortunately, they do not have this interview on the net) is:

http://www.kfi640.com/ericleonard.html

Best of wishes,

Billy

Jeff B.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone see this? If these details are actually true it's only a matter of time before he is caught.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/30/btk.killer.ap/index.html

Kurt O
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

looks like they got him
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6635554/

Julie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone... I can tell you this..Our police Department would NOt have notified the public if they were not absolutley certain that these letters were from the original killer. The terror that this guy caused us..Was just chilling for everyone back then. I remember it very well. Julie..Wichita, Kansas

MeganB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

America's Most Wanted is doing a program about BTK thats going to air on December 11.

Charles Feulner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi...just a few ideas. Although I am no expert on the BTK case, I have read enough that I do have a general outline and I have read quite a bit about BTK's recent communications.
BTK now says that he was born in 1939, had a father who died in World War II, always lived near railroad tracks, was "fascinated" with trains, railroads etc. He also, I believe, says he graduated from some sort of military school in 1966, though I may be wrong.
This is some pretty specific information and the Witchita area, though no small town, is not the L.A area or the N.Y.C metropolitan area. There are probably not more than a thousand (if that) males living in the Witchita area now who were born in 1939. (As many people know, the Depression Era, 1929 - 1942, was a time when this Nation saw some of its lowest birth rates ever, and it is very likely, given BTK's age profile, that he was born during this era). At first glance it would seem that someone who has gone through as much trouble (and probably research) not to get caught for his crimes as BTK has would not provide such truthful and specific information about himself. And he probably hasn't. But he has at least accomplished one thing: It gets BTK new notriety after such a long absence (he is no longer a "has been")from killing. It also could send police and other law enforcement officials down the wrong road, wracking up hundreds if not thousands of man-hours looking at and investigating "clues" that are just meant to mislead. At first glance it may seem that BTK has the police in a bind: if they ignore his new communications, writing it off as disinformation and BTK dies and provides a posthhumous way of proving he was BTK, he makes law enforcement look like Keystone Kops for not investigating real clues to his identity literally handed to them. If it is disinformation, then much if not all investigation based on his new "clues" is wasted - if it is investigated. But I do not think the police or F.B.I. need specifically investigate any of the new "clues" that BTK has provided as I think BTK has provided one of the best clues he could: that he is still alive and he has, whether he intended to or not, shrunk the number of viable BTK suspects almost exponentially over the last 30 years. I have almost no doubt that there has been some big change in BTK's life and that easily could be his health given his age. He may have recently found out that he is terminally ill and has only months or a few years to live. I think at this point, what should be given a long look, is his age profile and the men who fit that profile in the Witchita metropolitan area. That may seem impossible or impractical to some, but if you consider that the FBI looked closely at over 200,000 people in the Unabomber investigation (which cost far fewer lives), it is well within the power of the FBI in combination with local law enforcement to forget about other "clues" BTK has provided and strictly look at all males in the Witchita area who fit BTK's age profile, lived in that area during the time of BTK's known crimes, and were not incarcerated during any of his known crimes. This could be done just by looking at driver's licenses as it is almost certain BTK posessed a Kansas driver's license. To me, this seems to be a very solvable case. Much easier than Unabomber and some other well-known serial crimes. One thing is almost certain: BTK probably does not have much time left on this earth, he knows it, and he will probably be caught just on the fact that he has, probably inadvertently, shrunk the number of viable BTK suspects tremendously over the past 30 years just by proving he is still alive. That fact, in itself, may well be worth more than any "clue" that BTK either intentionally or unintentionally provided.

Quentin Pittman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone interested in BTK, you might check out catchbtk.com (great site, but not one I have or would ever post on for pretty obvious reasons). If BTK shows us anything about other crimes or criminals, such as Jack the Ripper for instance, it's that competent law enforcement (in this case, that includes local police, the FBI, and even such noteworthy figures as John Douglas, who wrote about his work on the BTK case, titled 'Motivation X', in one of his books ) can all still be rendered inadequate in certain circumstances. Likewise, I think it's impossible to impart the sense of real terror a person like this creates in a community. Frankly, BTK scares the hell out of the people here in Wichita, myself included. It reminds me of the hysteria the Atlanta child murders created. I can only imagine the panic the Ripper created with his successive kills that autumn. It's all really quite spooky and exhausting.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

News flash. The notorious BTK killer is believed to have been caught according to Wichita police.

See Suspect in BTK Killings Arrested in Kansas

See BTK serial killings suspect held

Police were "99% sure" they had got "the guy", said Mayor Carlos Mayans.

"The bottom line: BTK is arrested," Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams said.

More to follow as it becomes known.

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on February 26, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A postscript to my last--

Perhaps it does not do to come out and take a final bow. The same could perhaps have happened to Jack if he reappeared years later after his last Whitechapel murder.... if he hadn't drowned or otherwise committed suicide, put in jail or an asylum....

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His name is Dennis, he looks normal (!), well groomed, lives in suburbs, holds down job, and his DNA matches.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Dennis is an animal control worker. He actually was in a news report from Wichita about eight years ago about animal control problems. He is a leading pillar of his local Lutheran church, is married, and has two daughters. In arresting him the authorities also confiscated his computer. There is some suggestion that they found various "trophies" from his victims in his home.

However, he is not a barrister, a cricket player, an heir to the throne, a leading royal surgeon, an English impressionist painter, an
American quack, an English black magic fanatic,
a Polish barber surgeon turned publican, a sadistic Canadian doctor, a Liverpudlian cotton broker, or the author of several classic 19th Century novels....

Jeff :-)

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The facts are still coming in, and I'm sure we'll get lots more as the days unfold here, but three things I found noteworthy:

It looks like there are two other murders added to the list that were previously thought to be by someone else because of a slightly different method. One I read about was pretty much down to a T the same (cutting phone cord, breaking in, strangling, etc.) except for the fact that the body wasn't left in the home but disposed of elsewhere. The other looks similar. I think that's another good example of how expecting murders to be exactly the same in all cases of a series is just plain a bad idea. There could conceivably be others as well.

This one is somewhat minor because it's been disproven so many times before, but some people claim that sexually based serial killers can't be in relationships. The guy they got locked up now was married and had children, and did so in between killings.

The last point, and the most important one to me, is that there appears so far to be nothing whatsoever of outside influence that caused him to stop. No moving away, no imprisonment, no debilitating illness -- or, more importantly for us on these boards, no suicide, no accidental death, no extended trip to an insane asylum -- or anything like that which many people (see earlier posts in the thread for examples) thought had to have happened. He just wasn't up to it anymore, for one reason or another... Or changed his methods so drastically that there are recent murders nobody linked to him yet.

With yet another case that looks like it turns conventional wisdom about serial killers completely on its head, I sincerely hope that we can finally put the whole "serial killers don't change their methods" and, especially, "serial killers can't stop on their own" ideas behind us. They can. They do. And if it weren't for modern technology (DNA testing and computer forensics in this case) and this particular killer's inability to keep quiet, nobody would have ever caught him.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.