Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Neville Heath Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Neville Heath « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

Tell me more about Neville Heath.. this is interesting.

Love,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,
I can"t tell you much more than that he was a womaniser,well educated,took great risks when flying in the 2nd world war but got carried away by sexual cruelty which led him to murder a young woman he dated and later a young girl who he had met only briefly.I vaguely remember reading that evidence was given by people who knew him in the Middle East to the effect that he had murdered there too but I dont think it was proven---just scandalous rumour.Torture was his bag -nauseating stuff as I recall -so I"d say dont bother going there.
Natsxxx

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn : Try these links :

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/neville_heath.htm

http://www.murderuk.com/serialkillers/heath.htm

He was a guy who took sadism too far and didn't, I believe, actually set out to murder and mutilate initially. If you want a REAL nasty Ripper-a-like, try looking on Google for Gordon Cummins who brutally assaulted, murdered and mutilated (one with a tin opener) several women in London during WW2. In my eyes, he is the closest the UK has come to a second Ripper.

Here's a shot of Heath.

.heath

PHILIP
x
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys!

Philip, I tend to agree with you that Gordon Cummins comes about as close to the Ripper as possible. Both men appear to have been sadists.

Anyway, thanks again for the further info.

Bestest,

Lyn

"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and Lyn - I now outrank you! Hee hee hee.

PHILIP
x

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and Lyn - I now outrank you! Hee hee hee.

Not for long, good buddy! Watch and wait, tee hee!

Lyn

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

There is an interesting piece of criticism that was directed against the police in the Heath Case, showing that in 1946 they could blunder as badly as in 1888. After Heath's first murder (which was so horrific one constable actually threw up at the murder scene), the authorities did not see fit to issue any public announcements or warnings concerning their suspicion about Neville Heath. As a result when the second murder occurred, the public was very angry at this error.

Heath was a sadist (putting him probably into the Ripper/Gordon Cumming/Cream group of killers), but in the first killing his victim had the reputation of being a masochist. It has been suggested that Heath lost control of himself while torturing his first victim, who was tied up and gagged. The second victim, unfortunately, seems to have been a nice young lady who attracted his attention...and he would not take no for an answer from her. One witness would later explain that the second victim was extremely upset and nervous about his attentions after awhile.

For an excellent account of Heath's trial in 1946, I refer you to the chapter on him in Edgar Lustgarten's THE BUSINESS OF MURDER (which also covers Landru, Irma Grese - of the German death camps, John Haigh, John Christie, and Peter Manuel). Lustgarten always gives a first rate condensing of the trials to show what was unique about it. Here it was the apparently perfect "insanity" defense, and how the defense witness managed to louse it up.

Heath did have a public school background. One of his military alias was "Group Captain Rupert Brooke", suggesting some knowledge of poetry.

Jeff Bloomfield

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeffrey,thanks for reminding me of the book-I too found it was pretty shocking stuff.But he was as you say middle class in terms of upbringing and education.
Natalie

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

It might be an interesting exercise to see just how many violent offenders are known to have picked a famous name for an alias. I seem to recall that Jill Dando's killer used a couple.

Love,

Caz
X

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz. Barry George had a fixation with Freddie Mercury and used his original name. Then we have that nutter (though not, as yet, killer) Charles Bronson. Mark Chapman signed his final wageslip as John Lennon...

...and who can forget that the Whitechapel murderer of 1888 stole the celebrity alias of Jack The Ripper?

PHILIP

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

A con-man named Harold Dorian Trevor, back in the 1920s-1940s, used several alias like "Commodore Crichton" and (get ready for this) "Sir Charles Warren". Trevor eventually killed a woman whom he had swindled, and was hanged for it in 1941.

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.