Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Miller's Court murder charge - Decemb... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Miller's Court murder charge - December 1926 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think this has been posted before:-

The Times

4 January 1927

Murder Charge Withdrawn

Joseph Carson, 65, an inmate of the West Ham Guardians' institution, Forest House, Walthamstow, was brought before Mr. Snell at Old street Police Court yesterday charged on remand and on his own confession with the murder of Jane Williams at Miller Court, Spitalfields, on December 29. Detective Inspector Boreham informed the magistrate that the case was one in which the defendant gave himself up for the wilful murder of a woman. There had been a post mortem examination made, and a verdict of "Death from natural causes" had been returned by the jury at the inquest, and he would like to withdraw the charge. He thought Carson was under the influence of drink at the time he made his statement to the police. Mr. Snell (to Carson) - You are discharged.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3101
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure I don't half-remember you posting this one, Chris, but I'll bung it in just in case.

"TIMES" NOV 29th 1898

t

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fighting in church!

MAR 29th 1882

b
c
n
b

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently Mitre Square had a terrorist history.
This is from a long article about dynamite outrages, FEB 10th 1885.

n

No. 1 Mitre Sq is also mentioned.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

Thanks for posting this 1885 account--apparently this wasn't the first time Mitre Square was associated with explosives. You might be interested in the the following, from the City Press here on Casebook. From 28 Nov 1888:

MITRE-SQUARE. - It has been discovered that Mitre-square, the scene of one of the recent atrocities, has "criminally-historic" associations, although it is a quiet-looking place. It was in the first place the scene of the capture of the dynamiters who blew up a portion of the Tower of London, and then not more than twenty years ago two men blew up a house in the square - and themselves at the same time - with gunpowder. - C.C.

and a follow-up letter, 1 Dec 1888:

SIR, - In your issue of Wednesday I read in "Notes and Queries" that Mitre-square has "criminally-historic" associations. "C.C." gives three incidents. I concur with him in two, but the last, which reads thus, "Twenty years ago two men blew up a house in the square," was not a criminal act, but the result of a pure accident. Permit me to briefly give particulars of the event. The house was No. 7 (site now occupied by warehouses), and stood in a south-east position, then occupied by a Mrs. Simmonds, who used to let the upper part as furnished apartments. The first floor was let to two foreigners, who at the time were experimenting with some material of an explosive nature, when one of them struck a match to light a cigar, and carelessly threw it down, and, coming into contact with the inflammable combustion, exploded, set fire to the house, the interior of which was destroyed, and the two unfortunate men lost their lives. The charred remains were placed in St. James's Church (which then stood immediately opposite) awaiting burial. Being a resident in the square at the time, I can substantiate the above facts. - I am, &c,

MITRE.

I wonder if in your searches of the Times, you've come across an account of this gunpowder explosion which was supposed to have taken place around 1868?

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on September 26, 2004)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

Thanks for that info. Here's the item :

Dec 20 1865

n

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

There is some info on Kate Marshall on the Stephen White thread.

Rob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cooooooooooooo what tremendous articles!!!!

I love the 'If it had been anyone but my sister' remark!!!!
And also the 'Ice,bottles of spirits and india rubber shoes!!!!!' Sounds like a good night out (or in!)....might improve the allegedly falling church attendance figures tho!
Cheers!!!!
Suzi

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

Thanks for that. Chinese fire? Am I right that means fireworks? The steamers make me think of Kate Eddowes. . .did you know that on Sept. 29 1888, there was a fire station (consisting of a wagon, not a steamer) just past St. James Passage? I think there was also a proper station nearby on Aldgate.

(Thinking to myself) Hmmm. . .a cigarette manufacturing outfit in 1865 Mitre Square.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, Rob

Thanks for that info, Rob. One thing I'd like to do, is find out what happened to Harold Hall, Kate Ronan's murderer, because he doesn't seem to have been executed.

Dave, there was a tobacconist there on Mar 13th 1928 too - with a very helpful picture so that you could visit them in Africa!

y

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

Thanks for the A.J. Storey information--the map of Africa would be extremely helpful to anyone parachuting in!

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

I haven't been able to find out anything about Harold Hall. I did try checking under the alias he used (William Johnson) without success.

The only reason I can think of that he wasn't executed would be if he was found insane, and ended up in an asylum. Perhaps it wasn't important enough for the Times to publish. A local paper may have the answer.

All the best

Rob

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob L
Yes I think I did post some info re the Kate Marshall case ages ago - of interest because it also took place in Miller's Court. Kate was eventually convicted and sentenced to hang but this was commuted to life imprisonment. There was also an extraordinary legal wrangle by her solicitor over custody of the murder weapon. I am posting some articles below. There is a long account of the trial which I am currently transcribing and will post as soon as it's done
Chris

14 December 1898

At Worship street, Kate Marshall, 44, whip maker, charged with the wilful murder of her sister Elizabeth, the wife of a man named Roberts, was brought up on remand. Mr. Avory, barrister, appeared for the Treasury to condcut the case, Mr. Havelock defending, The prisoner gave evidence on oath, and denied having committed the murder, suggesting that the death of her sister was due to an attack made by her own husband. In cross examination she admitted that she had been frequently convicted for stabbing. The prisoner was committed for trial at the January sessions of the Central Criminal Court.

13 January 1899

Central Criminal Court
Before Mr. Justice Darling, the trial of Kate Marshall, 44, on a charge of murdering her sister, Elizabeth Roberts, was concluded. The prisoner gave evidence on her own behalf, denied having stabbed her sister, and alleged that the husband of the deceased had committed the act. In cross examination - after a long argumewnt as to the admissibility of the question - she admitted that she had several times been convicted for stabbing and malicious wounding, but it was lawys done in self defecnce. The jury found her guilty, but recommended her to mercy on the fround that the blow was struck when she was in a state of drunken frenzy. The prisoner was sentenced to death.

20 January 1899

At Bowstreet, yesterday, before Sir John Bridge, Mr. Holloway, solicitor, applied for a summons requiring the Commissioner of Police to show cause why he should not deliver to Mr. Havelock - the solicitor acting for Kate Marshall, now under sentence of death for the murder of her sister at Spitalfields - the knife with which the murder was committed. He stated that the knife had been assigned by the condemned woman to Mr. Havelock. It was not disputed that this knife was her property. Sir John Bridge said that even if he granted a summons, he should certainly not make an order for the delivery of the knife. Mr. Holloway said that lawyers who had been consulted held that this assignment constituted a valid claim for the knife. In the case of Mrs. Pearcey an order was made as to property forming the subject of a murder charge. Sir John Bridge said there could be no doubt that this solicitor wanted the knife for a certain purpose, and he considered this perfectly monstrous. In the circumstances he thought it would be wrong to give up the knife, and he should not grant a summons. The parties interested could apply to the High Court for a mandamus if they wished.

25 January 1899

The Law Courts
In the Queen's bench Divison of the High Court, yesterday, before Mr. Justice Lawrance and Mr. Justice Channell. a motion was made for a rule nisi for a certiorari to remove into the Queen's Bench Division the record of the proceedings in the case of Kate Marshall, convicted of murder in the Central Criminal Court, in order to raise the question whether the verdict of the jury did not amount to one of manslaughter only. Their Lordships refused the rule, holding that they had no jurisdiction.

27 January 1899

Respite of the Convict Marshall:
In the case of Kate Marshall, who was sentenced to death at the Central Criminal Court for the murder of Eliza Roberts, her sister, her counsel has received an intimation from the Home Office "that the Secretary of State has felt warranted under all the circumstances in advising her Majesty to respite the capital sentence with a view to its commutation to penal servitude for life."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris. What on earth could the solicitor have wanted the knife for? Surely not to sell as a souvenir?

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
That intrigued me too. It all boils down to the judge's vague phrase "this solicitor wanted the knife for a certain purpose, and he considered this perfectly monstrous." This suggests that the judge knew full well what was behind the request and strongly disapproved. I think your souvenir suggestion is a strong contender as I cannot see why else he would want it.
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris. have a look at Nov 30th 1898, search term "Havelock" - there was a suggestion he'd been touting for business (on another case).

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.