Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bowyer, Thomas Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Bowyer, Thomas « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys
Found some notes I did some time ago about Bowyer and thought I might post. Not definite identification but the most likely looking ive found so far
Chris

Thomas Bowyer

1891 census

Shoreditch District Workhouse

THOMAS BOWYER

Pauper
Widower
Aged 66
Local porter (retired)
Mitcham, Surrey

The most likely candidate for this indiviual in 1881 census, despite a 2 year age discrepancy, is as follows:

53 Monyer Street, London

THOMAS BOWYER
Aged 58 born Mitcham, Surrey.
Watch maker
Unmarried

Others in household:
Son:
William Osborn Bowyer aged 23 born Shoreditch
Porter
Lodger:
Frederick Clitherow aged 38 born Shoreditch
Compositor

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 927
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just came across something that may be of interest. Looking at the well known cover of the Illustrated Police News of 24 November 1888 (the one that features the sketch made from Hutchinson's description of the man with the astrakhan coat) tucked away in the corner was a sketch labelled "The man who first saw the body." I can only assume that this refers to Bowyer and interested me as I was not aware of having seen a picture of him before.
Chris

bow

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good spot Chris,

Yes, most likely candidates, except the Thomas Bowyer was an Indian Army pensioner. This would probably rule out the one in the Shoreditch workhouse.

Usually ex army men on the census were only to proud to let it be known they had served Queen and country. So that is often mentioned on the census.

The second Thomas Bowyer had a trade, so unlikely he would be a general 'dogsbody' for McCarthy. But you never know.

But you could have solved the mystery of the scratches in the 'watch'. He did then while Maybrick was slashing Kelly to bits!!

Andy P.

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

My 2002 paperback edition of Sugden carries a sketch of Bowyer. It is a better drawing than the one you posted and full face, but the long nose and moustache seem to indicate both were of the same person.

As for the Bowyer census entries (and mindful of the errors that abound) could the 1881 occupation possibly be "watch man," which would seem more likely for our Tom? Did you also look for possible phonetic garblings like Bower, Bauer, Bowier, and the like?

Finally, it is possible that Bowyer was not in fact a pensioner. He would hardly be the first person encountered in the events of the fall 1888 in Whitechapel who falsely claimed to be an army pensioner. He seems to have told some reporters that he was, but made no such claim under oath at the inquest or to the police.

Don.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone enlighten me as to the original source of Bowyer's statement that he saw a man with "peculiar eyes" with Mary Kelly on the Wednesday before her murder? It is repeated often in several books but I've yet to find the original source for his statement - whether it was to the police, or to the press, etc.

Thanks!

<I>UPDATE: Nevermind! Found it, another one from the Western Mail.... </I>

(Message edited by admin on May 12, 2004)
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of interest to the above posts regarding Bowyer's profession, the East London Advertiser referred to Bowyer as a "salesman":

http://casebook.org/press_reports/east_london_advertiser/ela881117.html

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen,

The men who allegedly saw Liz Stride in the bar earlier in the evening that she was killed, mentioned that the guy she was with had strange eyes also. Probably nothing, but interesting.
Paul

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul

There ia also the story that White saw a man with "glow worm" eyes emerge from one of the murder sites.

Robert

Nina Thomas
Police Constable
Username: Nina

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The following site contains an article and a drawing on Bowyer from The Penny Illustrated Paper, dated November 17, 1888. It also contains some genealogical information.
http://www.bowyer.org.uk/newsletter/news12.htm
Nina

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to push my own favourite blokey a bit more, most of the people who knew James Kelly described him as having unusual eyes.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan, even if he doesn't turn out to be JTR, he'll still bear the distinction of being probably the most unwanted wanted man in the annals of crime.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Indian Harry' by his family:

Bowyer Study Group Newsletter #12
July 1994

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author:
Mr. Denis Bowyer
Conkers
Hurst Green
Etchingham
East Sussex, TN19 7QD, UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS. I have yet to go on one of those alluring JACK THE RIPPER tours in the Whitechapel district of London. Do they mention Mr. Bowyer, the rent-collector who plunged his hand through the broken glass to discover the grisly body of poor Mary Jane Kelly? We know that he gave an address of 37 Dorset Street ..... "a short street in the shadow of Spitalfields Church" says one reporter; but he was not there when the 1881 census enumerator called. Or did he just get overlooked? Out collecting rent for his boss John McCarthy, who owned a chandlers shop nearby? Dorset Street was full of houses with rooms to rent at fourpence a night if the room is shared with several others, which suggests a come-and-go clientele. Remember though that Bowyer was in full employ, some say as assistant shop keeper to Mr. McCarthy as well, so some stability is expected.

With the over two dozen authors who have written books with the words JACK THE RIPPER in the title, there seems to be some confusion as to whether Thomas or John is the correct given name for this Bowyer. You would think that his boss John McCarthy would know, yet 'exact statements' from this source differ. Author Stephen Knight writes his words as "I sent my man Thomas Bowyer...",whilst McCarthy's evidence is stated by Elwyn Jones and John Lloyd as "I told my man John Bowyer to go to Mary Kelly's room …." Richard Whittington-Egan: "John Bowyer, whose Christian name is variously given as Thomas....", whereas most of the other authors do favour this last name.

From the drawing shown here I should say that Bowyer was an elderly man, another contemporary sketch to illustrate his action to gain access to the murder room shows him with a walking stick. This could well be as some protection in his unpopular job as a rent collector. My Catherine House File has only one eligible London/Thomas death of a man aged forty in 1889. The only 'John' to die in Central London around this time was aged fifty-five in 1891.

Unfortunately the 1891 census is of no help also, and it would be as well to tackle the problem from the "Indian Harry" angle. Assuming he was a soldier, even a pensioner, and that the nickname was not a bluff on his part. Anyone out there delving into Army records? Bowyer made his historic and … "I was that scared when I saw what I saw"...horrific discovery at 10.45 in the morning of November 9th 1888.

Zoe Bowyer is researching the Whitechapel Bowyers and tells me that her Elias Bowyer was a butcher in nearby Charlotte Street during the 1881 census. Elias would have been in his late thirties then, coming from the village of Kedington, Suffolk, where he was born in 1843.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also felt that 'Bowyer' as a name might have reflected his trade and union association rather than his real name, as follows from the Worshipful Order of Bowyers:

'The Bowyers' were never wealthy but joined the others in developing a role which not only retained the principles and customs of the ancient Livery Companies but also provided assistance to charitable institutions. Today the Company's charity focuses particularly upon the disabled, many of whom derive both pleasure and therapeutic benefit from the use of the longbow.

The Bowyers' are one of the many Livery Companies to-day which keep alive the spirit of the men who, over the ages, found in their Company, not just the training and skills to protect their craft, but also companionship, security and spiritual guidance.

Among its present day activities, the Company plays its part in civic meetings and functions in the City of London as well as holding its own social occasions. It presents archery prizes at a number of competitions to encourage the fast growing sport and is closely connected with the Royal Toxophilite Society. The Company has its own charitable trust which gives financial assistance to a number of charities, including furtherance of education and help for the disabled, aged and infirm, and in particular to archers with disabilities.

The Company traditionally holds its service for the installation of their new Master in the church of St Botolph without Bishopsgate.'

These Worshipful Bowyers were also involved with Toynbee Hall and the George Yard Ragged Schools, but I have not quite got that link yet.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.