Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Levy, Joseph Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Levy, Joseph « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 17, 2004R.J. Palmer50 12-17-04  2:34 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Palmer wrote:
"...Donald Swanson added the name of Francis Coles to his list of Ripper victims. A bit problematic considering that the murder took place after Aaron Kosminski's confinement. I'd be curious to know if you propose to reconcile this minor but puzzling detail to the Marginalia or to the A?R theory."

>>Off the top of my head and not referring to any resources, I seem to recall that Aaron's confinement and the Coles murder ocurred at roughly the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong. Swanson may not have been involved in Aaron's confinement, and may not have known exactly when it took place. He could have been hearing of these things from Anderson. These are are not my official positions, however; I'll have to look some things up and get back to you later.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can"t help thinking now that if Anderson really and truly thought Aaron Kosminski to be JtR he would have ensured somehow that he would be locked away in Broadmoor like Thomas Cutbush rather than the much more tepid Colney Hatch and leavesdon Asylums.
With All the Seasons Good Wishes
Natalie

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

Isn't the difference between Broadmoor and Colney Hatch and Leavesdon Asylums that the people who were sent to Broadmoor were convicted of a crime and found to be of unsound mind? Thus Cutbush and suspect James Kelly were sent to Broadmoor for this reason. I don't believe Kosminski could have been sent to Broadmoor, because he had not been tried and sentenced. He ended up in Colney Hatch and Leavesdon because he was highly suspected of having committed the crimes but the police did not have a fully complete case against him, with enough evidence that he could have been prosecuted and found guilty. Putting him in an asylum got him out of circulation. At least that is how I read the situation.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I'm not sure now, but was Thomas Cutbush actually found guilty of anything?

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that we have the example of Colocott(?sp) who seems to have had a fairly soft landing, plus I mentioned a case on the Cutbush Curious Thought thread (June 8th) which was quite interesting re Broadmoor etc.

Cutbush himself seems to have been fairly well-connected, and one would have thought his family might have been able, if they so desired, to have him spared the ultimate sanction of Broadmoor - although it has to be said that Sir Melville seems to have been wrong when he stated that Cutbush was a nephew of Supt Cutbush.

Robert

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This opens quite a can of worms. I think Chris George is correct; Broadmoor was technically a prison, so Kosminski would had to have been convicted of something. The Queen's pleasure and all that. But I don't think there's anything that really allows us to conclude that his ending up Colney Hatch was directly connected to him being "highly suspected of having committed the crimes". If we are to rely on Anderson's own words, the suspicions against the Polish suspect were largely fortified by a witness identification that took place after he was already in the asylum, or least the asylum/workhouse system. There (the argument goes---see Paul Begg's new chapter on Kosminski) the matter ended because he was already committed and thus outside the reach of the law.

Looking at the Colney Hatch records, it appears that the keepers were blissfully unaware of any suspicions of extreme violence against Aaron K. One might argue that Kosminski's commital was more of a family affair---due to his mumbling, sloth, and dirtiness, and really had nothing directly to do with any criminal suspicions or police intervention. Unless, they were trying to finesse the police, as it were, like getting your son into the National Guard before the Army came knocking.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,Robert and RJ,
Yes I think its correct about Broadmoor....but there were other prisons that could have taken Thomas Cutbush in London and elsewhere.Broadmoor is usually for the insane AND dangerous/murderous
type of criminal and Macnaghten while he is exonerating Cutbush regarding the JtR crimes is managing to imply that Cutbush compared to these three others is some kind of airheaded pussycat!
Well thats not the sort of person who is committed for life to Broadmoor!
Cheers Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie, Chris, RJ

Re Kosminski, it's possible that the final straw for the Kosminski family might have been his reported knife threat against his sister. In other words, he wasn't safe to have around (especially if children were present).

Or, the police, rather than the family, may have used the knife incident to finally incarcerate him. Swanson's account seems to imply that something happened after the identification, because this wasn't enough by itself to incarcerate him.The fact that his hands were tied behind his back seems to suggest that the "something" was of a violent nature.

Of course, as usual, it's difficult to decide which man to follow : Anderson or Swanson.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert,
The other thing to keep in mind is that the staff at both Colney Hatch and Leavesdon seemed to be completely unaware to judge from their notes on Kosminski,that he was or had ever been particularly dangerous or that he might become violent[although at one point they do record he attacked someone with a chair-not that uncommon in such institutions ofcourse].
you would have thought that the police would have at least tipped them off that they might have been harbouring a murderer-even if they couldnt add that that was JtR.Someone somewhere was failing in their duty to warn of potential
danger etc but it really does seem as though noone ,not via Anderson,Swanson or Macnaghten ever did.A very strange state of affairs esp. since Anderson was so convinced that Kosminski it was who was Jack the Ripper.
Best
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Natalie. Mind you, Cohen's notes do not contain any reference to JTR either. But in his case, the violence was open and evident.

I have been given "The secret identity of JTR" and, although AP will hate me for saying this (given AP's contempt for profilers) what the FBI guys said about JTR fits Cutbush quite well - asocial, broken home, dominant female...of course, one needs more than a profile match to make a worthwhile suspect, but it seems to me that the profile at least isn't hostile as far as THC is concerned. They even seemed to agree with AP about the motivation for the mutilations, which they described as sexual, but specifically in the sense of neutering the victim - in other words, AP's anti-sexual idea.

It was interesting to hear that Big Ben had been a symbol of western culture for "centuries"!

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just going back to Chris's post : obviously I agree that Broadmoor was an asylum for the crminally insane. The point I'm trying to make, is that it is possible to find examples of people who did the same as Cutbush, or even a lot worse, who could be spared Broadmoor, and yet Cutbush was sent there.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that the authorities apparently would sometimes release people from Broadmoor, at least according to one American newspaper.

Robert

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,
Correct me if I'm wrong. Someone would likely need to have a reasonably estimated history of criminal actions to go to Broadmoor. He wouldn't have to have been public enemy number one, but there would need to be some reason to consider him criminally insane at least to some degree. Aaron had no such history, however. If you tried to put him in Broadmoor you'd be asked what he'd done criminally, and Aaron hadn't done anything except be identified as Jack the Ripper, which Anderson had reasons for not discussing.

Best wishes, Nat.

Dave

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron's condition prior to commitment to the Booby (Colney) Hatch might have been so dilapidated so as to make him seem harmless. There may may been little potential danger perceived.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, I'm not sure how dilapidated he'd have been if he was being cared for by family members. On the other hand, though, if he wouldn't accept food from them then I suppose this itself would have been a reason for them to commit him - the alternative would have been that he starved.

I just wonder how long they'd have let him refuse to eat and wash before they gave up the struggle.

Robert

Robert W. House
Detective Sergeant
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have biographical info on Joseph Hyam Levy? When he was born, geneaology, etc.

Rob

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
I could never hate someone who writes such beautiful poetry!
Criminal profilers only get my goat when they become writers, when they profile I think it a useful addition to our understanding of a criminal or crime.
They aint gods, but neither are we.
Whatever, I do find the circumstances of Thomas's confinement to Broadmoor suspicious mainly because of the twin trial of Colicitt for the same offence where he went safely home to peel bananas for the rest of his life whilst poor old Tom was well and truly in the zoo.
Hopefully it will not be too long now before we are able to establish where Thomas was for those two years between 1888 and 1891.
That should do it nicely I reckon.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

The trouble is, not all the asylum records have survived. I agree that it's a fair bet his family had him put away for a while. The trouble is, where?

Rob, your best bet is to contact Scott Nelson.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,
Quite so.Which leads me to think that Anderson
could not have been sure that Aaron Kosminski was the ripper.On the other hand by not having to worry that he would ever be found to have been "romancing",since after all he knows Aaron is locked away and incapable of a sensible conversation [by the sound of things]Anderson feels free to boast that he always knew who the ripper was!
I"m not sure exactly but Broadmoor certainly has the reputation for having seriously mentally ill and highly dangerous criminals.
All the Best David
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was the state of play at Broadmoor in 1878 - the usual incompetent muddle.

AUG 24 1878, "TIMES"

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert,thats helpful.Also it looks as though they were about to tighten the rules at this jucture.
Natalie

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,
I'm not one of those who thinks Anderson changed his mind after the identification, such as Sugden. I think he felt pretty much the same way about it years later. Where is the evidence to think otherwise?

Maybe the problem is not so much getting Aaron in, but what happens to him after he goes in. Maybe Broadmoor has a requirement to report on cases directly to some police-related authority, since its inmates are criminals. Maybe whenever one dies or is transferred, it has to be reported. Assuming Aaron's relatives were seeking to eventually make Aaron disappear from police radar screens (witness the false report of his death repeated by Swanson), they'd be more likely to opt for a non-criminal facility like Colney Hatch, so they could lie to Anderson personally about the matter and not be found out.

Dave

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joseph Hyam Levy left London with his wife, Amelia, sometime in 1891 or 1892. They retired in Brighton, where Levy died in 1911. This is particularly interesting in view of the possibility that Levy was Anderson's witness and that the identification of Anderson's suspect took place in Brighton. Question: Can any participants at the upcoming Brighton conference do some digging on Levy's whereabouts in Brighton during this time period?

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fascinating stuff, Scott. I have long been interested in the suggestions that Hyam Levy knew more than he was telling. This also provides the possibility of circumstantial links to that much vexed late identification.

Thank you,

Phil

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott
The following census entries may be of interest:
Joseph Hyam Levy

1861:
36 Petticoat Lane, St Botolph, Aldgate
Head: Hyam Levy aged 51 born Aldgate - Butcher
Wife: Frances Levy aged 51 born Aldgate
Children:
Sarah aged 21
Joseph aged 19 - Butcher's son
Elias aged 12
Elizabeth aged 6
All born in Aldgate
Servant: Mary Cain aged 27 born Ireland

In 1871 Joseph's household is detailed as follows:

1 Hutchisons Avenue, Aldgate
Joseph H Levy aged 30 born Aldgate - Butcher
Amelia Levy aged 29 born Aldgate
Servant:
Margaret Connolly aged 19 born Aldgate

The 1881 census saw the following information entered for them:
1 Hutchisons Street, Aldgate
Joseph Levy aged 39 born Aldgate - Butcher
Amelia Levy aged 39 born Aldgate
Servant:
Jane Figg aged 20 born Limerick, Ireland - Domestic Servant

In the 1891 census data we are told the following:
1 Hutchisons Street, Aldgate
Head;
Joseph Levy aged 49 born Aldgate - Butcher
Wife:
Amelia Levy aged 47 born Aldgate
Servant;
Maggie Birt aged 19 born Brompton - General servant

I will carry on looking for Levy in 1901
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of interest I traced which family in 1901 was living at the former Levy address:
1901:
1 Hutchison Street, Portsoken, Aldgate
Head: Solomon Lipman aged 32 - Fruit Salesman
Wife: Sarah Lipman aged 31
Children:
Rachel aged 9
Samuel aged 7
Pauline aged 5
Littice aged 3
Servant:
Emily Merrett aged 26
All residents born in St Botolph's

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Levy was still at Hutchison(s) Street at the time of the 1891 census (5 April), doesn't that make his move to Brighton too late to be relevant to the Seaside Home identification (assuming that took place before Kozminski was committed to Colney Hatch Asylum in February 1891)?

Chris Phillips

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for this info Chris (Scott).

Chris P.,

Yes it would be rather meaningless if JHL moved to Brighton in late 1891 or 1892, and the i.d. took place in Brighton prior to the April 1891 census. I'm wondering if he had visited there prior to retirement or if he was staying at the Jewish Convalescent hospital on Montgomery Street?? I'm guessing that if an i.d. did take place in Brighton, it was probably between the time the Seaside Home opened in March 1890 and February 1891, when Kosminski went to the asylum. In any case, any information on Levy's Brighton retirement may be interesting (or maybe not.)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to ask if "our" Joseph Hyam Levy had any connections with the fruit trade. A Joseph Hyam Levy dissolved his partnership with Moss Lewis, fruiterer, in 1882. However, the business was in Paddington, not East London.

Robert

c.d.
Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R.J. and Natalie,

You have made a point that I have always wondered about, namely that the staff was apparently ignorant of the fact that they might be harboring one of the most famous criminals in history. I am wondering how likely it would be for the police to simply put Kosminski away and forget about him.
I would think that human nature would dictate that they would want to be sure they had the right man. They would want details of the murders. They would want to be sure that he had no confederates. Wouldn't this entail a number of trips to the asylum? Wouldn't it mean questioning the guards for details of his behavior? I would think that if this were the case that the staff would put two and two together. This would not be a secret that could be kept for long.

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert. JHL's wife Amelia (nee Lewis) and her family were in the fruit trade, notably as orange merchants in the Mitre Street and St. James Place areas. Amelia had a brother, Moss Lewis, who lived at 17 Mitre Street in the 1891 census. Whether this is the same Moss Lewis who partnered with JHL in Paddington, I don't know. Lewis is not at this address in the 1881 census, nor does he appear there in the directories prior to 1891.

Scott Nelson
Inspector

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've also found that it's likely that Joseph Hyam Levy's wife, Amelia, was the niece of Mary (nee Barnett) Lyons, who traded as an orange merchant at #30 Mitre Street from the early 1880s until 1889. Mary was the sister of a dairyman, Isaac Barnett, who lived at #87 Middlesex Street in the 1880s to 1890s. Isaac Barnett was recorded under the "address of friends" entry in the Stone Lunatic Asylum casenotes for Jacob Levy, an insane butcher, who was brought there on August 15, 1890 (this later information available in the article of Jacob Levy by Mark King - see Suspects on this site.)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Scott.

Here's the Perry's Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette entry.

And here's Moss in the 1881 census, 4 Westbourne Grove, age 40, fruiterer, born London.
Wife seems to be Ray(?), 25, born London.
Nephew Louis Britton, 15, born Birmingham. Plus a servant and an assistant.

I saw something in the Times a few minutes ago about Moss Lewis and Lyons. I'll try and find it again.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott
The following about Moss and Amelia Lewis may be of interest:
Moss Lewis
69 Brushfield Street, Spitalfields
Head: Moss Lewis aged 56 born London City - Fruit Salesman
Wife: Rachel Lewis aged 46 born London City
Children:
Nancy aged 19 born Westbourne Grove - Cap maker
Solomon aged 17 born Westbourne Grove - Traveller china and glass

1881:
4 Westbourne Grove, Paddington
Head: Moss Lewis aged 40 born London - Fruiterer
Wife: Ray (sic) Lewis aged 25 born London
Servants:
Henry Brown aged 21 born Basingstoke - Servant
Joseph Emanuel aged 17 born London - Fruiterer's assistant
Nephew:
Louis Bretton aged 14 born Birmingham - Fruiterer's assistant

1871:
21 Mitre Street, Dukes Place
Head: Phillip Lewis aged 52 - Orange merchant
Wife: Ann Lewis aged 58
Children:
Moss Lewis aged 30 - Orange merchant
Henry Lewis aged 20 - Orange merchant
All residents born in London

1861:
21 Mitre Street, Dukes Place
Head: Phillip Lewis aged 42 born St Mary's, Whitechapel - Fruit Merchant
Wife: Ann Lewis aged 40 born St James, London City
Children:
Moss aged 21 - Fruit merchant's shopman
Henry aged 10
Nicec:
Louisa Lyons aged 11 born St James
Servant:
Sophia Brown aged 21 born St Andrews, London City

In 1861 Amelia Lewis, for some reason, is listed living at 24 Mitre Street with her grandparents:
Head: Henry Lyons aged 84 born St James - Fruit Merchant (Retired)
Children:
Henry aged 40 born St James - Fruit Merchant
Grand-daughter:
Amelia Lewis aged 20 born St James

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, Brushfield St and Henry Lyons...I think Moss was trading as Henry. I'll try to find the article.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5082
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Nov 27th 1895

Robert

Scott Nelson
Inspector

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both. It appears that the Moss Lewis living in Paddington in the 1881 census is the same one that shows up at 17 Mitre Street in the 1891 census and on Brushfield St. in from the 1901 census (ages, wife's name "Rachael" and children's names)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5085
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott and Chris

Have a look at Joseph H "Lory" (thus transcribed by Ancestry) 124 Mildmay Rd, 1901 census. Right age, right wife, retired butcher. The writing could say "Levy" not "Lory".

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5086
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add, Mildmay Rd in Islington, London.

I'll have to post it in two sections. Both Joseph and Amelia born London City.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, was it agreed that the Mildmay Rd Joseph Lavender was "our" one?

I think in 1881 there was also a Moss and Amelia Lewis living in Mildmay Rd. And I'm sure I've seen another Levy there, somewhere.

Robert

Scott Nelson
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert - Amelia's age doesn't appear to be recorded. They were the same age, BTW.

To follow up Chris' post on the Lipman family at 1 Hutchinson Street in the 1901 census, they may have lived at 4 St. James Place in the 1891 census: Solomon Lipman, 28, fruiterer (green), born Aldgate, wife: Sarah, 26, born Aldgate, no children.

(Their eldest child was 9 in the 1901 census, but the ages of Solomon and Sarah don't tally)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5088
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Scott, it looks like them, though I don't know what's happened to their ages.

Amelia's age is given as 58, on the left of the second image. I had to saw it in half as it was too big.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like Solomon married Sarah Fresco, Sept qtr 1890. There was a Fresco next door.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 3:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
That 1901 entry looks very much like the right fella to me!
Well found
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5092
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 4:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris. I suppose he was a bit young to retire, but maybe as he hadn't raised a family, he had a tidy sum put away.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.