Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

An Even More Suspicious Statement By ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Maxwell, Caroline » An Even More Suspicious Statement By Mrs. Maxwell « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 12, 2003Eric Smith25 10-12-03  12:45 am
Archive through December 27, 2003Peter Sipka25 12-27-03  5:16 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard and Robert!!!!!!Not waving but drowning huh!!!!!!!!!!!!Brilliant Robert!! really cheered me up! Quite sure that Mary was up and toddling about and possibly throwing up too in Dorset St around 9.00am!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter-The scream.. only if you believe that mary died around that time..what about if Mary had returned to her room about that time,pulled aside the coat..looked in and seen by the light of "the fire" a body ripped up on her bed!!..Don't you think "Oh Murder" would be a reasonable comment !!!?????????
cheers
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 495
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The scream which appeared to come from Kellys room , must have occured, so there are three possibilitys.
a] It was the time of her fatal attack
b] Kelly witnessed a murder, through her window.
C] Kelly had a reoccurance of a nightmare, which she had during october, and which she told her friend Lottie about.
Possibility [a] does not fit in with the mornings events ie, Lewis, Maxwell, mrs Goode?.,
possibility[b] Is to far fetched to even consider.
Possibilty [c] considering the frightened state she was in, its entirely possible, that around 4am she woke suddenly from a nightmare,that she was being attacked, therefore 'oh murder' would have been appropiate.
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

It's true that "Oh murder" on its own proves nothing, as such cries were apparently common.

On the other hand, this is the only such incident
reported - so the cries weren't that common on that particular night, which is suggestive.

But on the other hand again, it's possible the two women heard two different cries at two similar times. This is what might happen if some couple somewhere were having a row.

I think Suzi meant that Mary discovered a murder, rather than witnessed it - though I don't see why she'd hang around for several hours if she intended to disappear.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Richard-
Richard - I don't think that Mary witnessed a murder per se through her window but pulled aside the coat and saw the results! (Right Robert!?)
As to hanging around for several hours Robert..I think I'd be off to the pub to recover having seen THAT sight!..mind you I must admit that could be a slight problem..hmmm must think about that...what do you think??
Cheers
Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Well, suppose that after servicing Hutchinson's toff, Mary goes out to find another client. This time she either doesn't find one, or she services him in a yard or alley and then heads home.

But when she arrives she finds the door pulled to (locked) which is not how she left it. Maybe she thinks that one of her chums has made use of the room to bring a client to. Perhaps she knocks. No answer. So she goes to open the door from outside via the window, and sees the corpse on the bed...

The trouble as I see it is

1. Why only one scream? Blimey, she'd have done her nut!

2. If she sees the corpse on the bed, then the candle is alight (unless somehow the glow of the fire is enough). That means the candle would have burnt away by the time the police entered next day (for surely she wouldn't have actually opened the door and entered - she wouldn't know if Jack was coming back - therefore the candle would be left to burn). Well, maybe the candle did burn away - perhaps Mary bought two candles. That would leave one for the police to find. But if this was stuck in a broken glass, this looks as if it was the one that would have been in use. So her seeing a corpse doesn't seem to fit with the candle business, unless the fire was glowing quite brightly.

3. The natural thing to do would be to scream, wake the neighbours, tell the police...if Mary had a special reason for wanting to avoid publicity (say, fear of the people who took her to France) then why not disappear there and then? Why hang around, waiting till the pubs opened, going into pubs where she was well-known, talking to neighbours and even going back into that dreadful room before disappearing? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Of course, the last point wouldn't apply if it was one of Kelly's friends who found Kelly. Perhaps the friend disappeared. But points one and two would still apply.

However, point two need not apply to anyone if we drop the requirement of looking through the window. Suppose the Ripper left the door unlocked. Then anyone entering and finding a corpse wouldn't need a candle to do it, and could have blown out a candle if it was indeed alight.

Point one would still apply, though, and point three would apply to Kelly.

I hope this doesn't sound confused!

Robert

Donald Souden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm, there is at least one other explanation for the cry in the night (actually there are many). Anyway, consaidering Kelly's means of getting rent money, an "Oh, murder" or two could be her "faking it" signature. After all, she must have received a premium rate for a private room and all and perhaps that required a few extra flourishes. I don't really endorse the theory, but everything has to be considered.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting idea, Don. And who knows, maybe it was even s JTR sex game - perhaps there were already punters willing to pay to act out games in which they were JTR.

I've heard that around the time of the centenary, there were punters anxious to have sex on the actual murder spots.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Robert
O.K, some excellent points old chum!..
What if Mary had looked through the window at some point a.m. seen the body and realised that one of her 'lodgers' a.k.a. Lizzie Fisher/Albrook (love the 'whatever you do don't do wrong and turn out as i have' quote!!..interesting that in itself!)was the body on the bed!!!
O.K...she needs (wants ) to get away so a great alibi would be to squeak 'Oh Murder'..not too loud..just enough to rouse Diddles! and give herself time to scuttle off..Am starting to lose myself in my own theory here..why did she then appear bold as brass the following am?Ah....erm..
Donald- Interesting..
Robert- Again..is that right about the centenary murder spots? Interesting..!Personally I've never had a hankering for multi-storey car parks!..ah well everyone to their own!

Cheers
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ,
Having sex on the murder spots, now that is horrendous,I have albeit in the sixties, walked down Bucks row, passed Nichols death spot at 33Oam in the morning on the 31st august, Frankly it spooked me, to actually do my lovemaking on them cobbled stones, Would do nothing for me , and probable due to the sickness of the deed, nothing for my partner either.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard-
Last time my chum Heather and I were making our way back to Whitechapel Station via Bucks row(as you do!) we were seriously hassled by cruising guys in cars.."Hello girls..fancy a horrible time" sort of stuff so we toddled off to the "safety" of Whitechapel High St. only to have these guys reversing back up Bucks Row repeating their requests!.Nothing changes huh!

Ah well I guess Mitre Square may be a bit more discreet!!...still yuk though!!
Cheers
Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.