Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Wideawake or Billycock Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Cox, Mary Ann » Wideawake or Billycock « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks,

Going through my Sourcebook last night.

Came across Cox's statement re Kelly and Old Blotchy Face.

In Cox's statement it reads that Blotchy was wearing a soft felt Wideawake.(P405..I think)

At the inquest Cox's states that Blotchy was wearing a Dark Billycock hat (P415/416...again, I think).

Two different hats !!....and it wasnt even questioned !!!!

Now whats that all about ??

And more importantly....does it matter ??

Baffled Monty

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Monty, I think you have knocked the whole case into a cocked hat! sombrero lol

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a very interesting observation, Monty, and one full of warnings for us all about the unreliability of witness statements, especially if they were taken down from dictation or by court reporters who might have misheard. The two hats are really completely different: a wideawake had a broad brim (being wideawake because of this difference from the narrow-brimmed slouch hat); a billycock was a high-crowned bowler (derby for Americans) supposedly invented or used by William Coke of Norfolk as a more convenient riding hat (with minor crash helmet advantages) than the traditional topper.
All the best,
Martin F

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

In her police statement Cox said the blotchy-faced man had a "black felt hat." Hutchinson reported a "dark felt hat." That word "felt" does make me wonder whether the type of hat worn depended on which policeman was taking down the statement.

One person who seems never to have worn a wideawake is George Clapp. His hat was a soundasleep.

Robert

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin, Robert, Chris,

Roberts post has beaten me to a correction. In the sourcebook it does indeed read that Cox's statement mentions blotchy having a black felt hat and not soft felt hat as I stated. Sorry. But I am sure a widewake was mentioned along with Cox and Kelly somewhere. I was going through 5 different books at the time and may have mixed them up. I shall re-check.

Martin,

I have a question for you regarding Billycocks. As it has links with a theory a friend of mine is working on I would rather like to ask you privately..if that is possible.

I would understand your reluctance to do so and any decline on your part would be totally accepted and respected by myself....but as my Mum says "if you dont ask....."

Cheers,
Monty
:-)

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

Hutchinson in his statement to the "Times" Nov 14 uses the words "soft felt hat". Sarah Lewis saw a man across the street wearing a "wideawake black hat" (probably Hutchinson).

Robert

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

That may be where I went wrong. The thing is, I was specifically looking at Mary Cox statements in different books and therefore had no need to look at anything to do with Hutchinson.

As I mentioned above. I shall go back through the books I used....Eddleston keeps jumping into my head, I think I shall try his book first.

Thanks anyway,

Monty

Scott Medine
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sem

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good observation there Monty.

Hmmmmmmm.............

Peace,
Scott

Wide-a-Wake in Athens.

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,

Perhaps not so good in one way...but theres a connection....of sorts.

Monty

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Just by going on brief memory, i think it was at least three witnesses that mentioned a dark or black 'felt hat'...well spotted, i'll check every one and find out which policeman or if it was policemen, that took the statements down.
Cheers
Shelley
Criminology Student (Ad Crim)

Richard London
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what happened to Mary Ann Cox?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.