Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Mrs Buki Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Mrs Buki « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neal Shelden
Police Constable
Username: Neal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the search for the elusive Mrs Buki, I have a come across some alternative candidates on the 1881 census that I didn't post to the previous boards.

At 21 St Mary's Road, Islington. An EMMA BEWICKE aged 62, Income from Domestic and self born Lec?
Daughter MINNIE BEWICKE aged 36, born Suffolk.

At Totterdown Lane, Hornsey. CATHERINE BEUKE aged 56, Retired Milliner born Middlesex.

At 1 Dorset Street, Spitalfields. DEBORAH BEUNSKY aged 28, born Netherlands. Husband SAMUEL BEUNSKY aged 32, cigar maker born Netherlands. Son NATHAN BEUNSKY aged 6, scholar born America.

I consider that the first 2 are more likely than other versions such as Bookey, Buckey, Bakie etc, on the census.
Not one of the 3 appear on the 1901 census.

All the best
Neal

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal
Very interested to see your research on the elusive and potentially important Mrs Buki. I also have done all the usual searches on the Bookeys, Buckeys etc. which I posted on the old message boards.
Thinking about the origin of the name BUKI which searches of the 1881 census show not to exist at that time, I have concluded that there are three possible explanations:
1) BUKI is reported absolutely correctly and the woman in question came to the UK after the 1881 census (or her husband did and she married him subsequently). A propos of this I tried to trace if there is a valid surname BUKI to be found anywhere and it appears to be a Hungarian surname. The following (unrelated) quote from the Philadephia Inquirer says: "... A native of Hungary, Mr. Buki escaped
the then-Communist country in 1948 with the help of Benedictine monks"
2) The name was reported phonetically, hence the plethora of Bookey, Buckey, Bewkey alternatives.
3) Letters were transcribed in the initial reporting and so the name was reported wrongly from the beginnning.

The one possibility I have found under category 3 is the name BUIK. There is one household in London under this name in the 1881 census:

Address:
21 Sandbrook Road
(I have checked the location of this road and the only modern road of this name is in London N16 in the Stoke Newington area)
Head
Robert Buik aged 60 born Scotland
Commercial Clerk General Depot Trade
Wife:
Margaret Buik aged 36
Son
Thomas Buik aged 16 born St Botolph
Commercial Clerk varnish and paper Manfr
Nephew's daughter:
Mary Justinson Craig aged 30 born Scotland
Shirtmaker
Lodger:
John Thomson aged 73 born Scotland
Annuitant

Hope this is of interest
Chris S

Neal Shelden
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
It's very interesting that she could have been Hungarian? It is a worry though that many people appear to be missing from the 1881 census index.
It's going to be difficult to place one of the candidates in the East End for the right time, unless we can find a birth, marriage, or death, of either her or one of her family around 1884/5.
A Scottish Mrs Buik is quite possible, in the same way that George Hutchinson could've had Scottish roots? From a research point of view we have to hope she didn't go home to Hungary about 1885/6?

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal Im trying totrace the Buiks in the 1891 census. In the meantime here is a list of all BUIKs in the 1901 census:

BUIK 1901

Andrew Buik aged 14 born Scotland
Resident in 1901 West Derby

Charlotte Buik aged 54 born Finsbury, London
Resident West Derby
Seamstress

David Buik aged 40 born Scotland
Resident Rickergate, Cumberland
Commercial Traveller

Edith Buik aged 4 born Carlisle, Cumberland

Edward Buik aged 8 born Scotland

Maggie Buik aged 35 born Scotland

Mary Buik aged 6 born Scotland

William Buik aged 18 born Shoreditch, London
Resident West Derby
Apprentice tailor

William Buik aged 22 born Scotland
Resident West Hartlepool, Durham
French Polisher

William Buik aged 48 born Perth, Scotland
Resident West Derby
Drapers porter

I see one born in Shoreditch - might be of interest -
Chris S

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neal
I've been able to verify that Buki is indeed a Hungarian surname and it even has variant spellings in Hungarian!!! Why is nothing ever simple?

I found a message on one of the genealogy message boards which mentioned this name and included a link to an Hungarian genealogy site in case you want to have a look.
The relevant part of the message is:

Janos Bogardi, aka Radix, has a database he has compiled of the craftsmen and shopkeepers in Hungary at the turn of the century. For me, it has become a fantastic reference for variations of the spelling of surnames. I suggest you go to his index for the letter "B" at this site:

http://www.radixindex.com/public/ipab.shtml

Here you will find several different spellings for your Buki/Bukki/Bukky etc. surname.

Hope this helps
Chris S

Neal Shelden
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, That's great.
To me it provides a strong case for supposing that the true spelling was in fact Buki, rather than other variants.
And if she wasn't here in 1881 or 1901, maybe she was on the 1891 census? I just wonder why she didn't come forward in 1888 if she was still in the country?
Thanks
Neal.

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal - one last message for the moment!! On the same message board I found a refernce to a Polish BUKI name and also the name they changed it to after they came to England. Thought this might me of interest:

"Our lot spelt their name BUKI in Poland, but changed to Bookey when they came to England about 1898. They came from Wyszograd. My Grandfather, born there, was Joseph Ber Buki.Two of his brothers emigrated to the USA about 1902."

CS

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.