Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Alfred George Crow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Alfred George Crow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crow, the carman, was the first person to see the body of Tabram.
He was a bit of a naughty boy though.
Appearing before the beak on May 13th 1895 for a betting scam he was found with a considerate amount of gold and silver in his pockets.

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tabram too? Hadn't realised that - the two victims I was thinking of discovered by carmen were Nichols and Chapman.

I suppose even Diemschutz was driving a cart, but what I'm thinking about is a carman on the way to work...

Chris Phillips

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a carman a cartman then? A car'man?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That makes four then, Chris.

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I got it!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
In Irish mythology, Carman was a goddess of evil magic. Her three sons were Dub ("darkness"), Dother ("evil") and Dian ("violence"). They rampaged through Ireland.

The Tuatha Dé Danann warred against Carman and her sons. Bechuille, a powerful sorceress, was finally able to defeat her. Her sons were killed and Carman was chained, eventually dying of grief.

In historical times a festival named after her, Óenach Carman, was held in Wexford.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carman"

Fits right? Darkness, evil and violence. I'm going to write a book about this, propose a theory and say nasty stuff to anyone who disagrees!

OR
A carman is one who transports goods in a car? that's what a couple of dictionaries said anyway.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris - this is so pedantic it HURTS.

Crow was coming home. It was Reeves who was on his way to work.

Actually it doesn't hurt much at all.

In fact it is rather fun.

Weeeeee!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

A carman was simply someone in charge of a vehicle making deliveries.

The term continued in use well into the 20th. century and was applied to drivers of delivery trucks.

It may still be in use for all I know.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
John

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip

Thanks for pointing that out.

As I mentioned, I hadn't been thinking of Tabram, but of Nichols and Chapman, where the bodies were discovered by carmen either getting ready for work or on their way there.

Chris Phillips

Uriah Hexam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought Crow was a cab driver...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.