Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripperologist issue 52: March 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 52: March 2004 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 05, 2004Caroline Anne Morris25 4-05-04  5:51 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

PC Maybrick....what do I win ???

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Harry Mann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,
John Percy Galling,warrant no 9339,joined City of London police 1883.Discharged for the reason of perjury 1892.
Faked his own death,leaving a watch and personnel diary,and believed in some circles,to have been the Whitechapel killer.
Do I get both prizes.

Liza
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Caz
I win!
So what's the prize?
A drink will do
Read your mails and you will see I'm working for you!
Did you have a nice afternoon on Sunday?
Nice skirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love
Liza
X

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty, Harry,

Both prizes still up for grabs then, since no one frequenting these boards knows their H division coppers' names, and you two representatives even managed to misread the questions.

Hi Liza,

I should have said, the contest is only open to those who weren't at the Smoke & Stagger to hear the answer to the first question.

But I owe you a few drinks anyway. Lovely afternoon last Sunday thanks. We returned to The Monsoon which was quite appropriate, as the heavens opened the moment we left!

Thanks - Carly said nice skirt too, so I've probably lost it.

Lots of love,

Caz
X

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

PC John Howard, PC James Vince, PC Daniels and PC William Price all number 93.
PC Herbert Brunnen, PC White, PC George Courtney and Station Police Sergeant Charles Cutbush all number 39.
Do I win anything?

For some unknown reason I got Newsletter number 6 in my copy of Ripperologist 52. So I can't attempt to answer the other question.

All the best

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, I too got newsletter 6 in issue 52. "Watch out"? Are you sure you're not winding us up?

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob and Robert,

Yeah, I think there must have been a general balls-up with the newsletters now you come to mention it, cos I got no.6 with my Rip too, and only got no.7 at the meeting.

Bit of a relief, cos there was a photo in no.7 of yours truly (dressed as a lady of the night at the Xmas bash) that thankfully will now only be seen by the few people at the 3rd April meeting!

Thanks Rob, for your very helpful response. Any idea which H93 or H39 was working in 1888/9?

Don't worry though, you deserve a prize. I'll have to put my thinking cap on for something appropriate. Anything you would particularly like?

Lots of love,

Caz
X

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

For number 93 it was PC John Howard who transferred from H Division to C Divisions November 1889.

For Number 39 PC John Tyrrell joined in February 1888, and PC Herbert Brunnen transferred from H Division to A Division in February 1888.

I'll settle for a years supply of Tea bags (Tescos or P.G.), failing that, if we ever meet you can sign my copy of your book. Which I will display proudly next to my signed Rumbelow, Melvin Harris and Stewart Evans.

All the best

Rob

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

How many cuppas a day would that be?

Come to any C&D meeting and bring the book and I'll gladly sign it for you. Or, since you live in Croydon (I'm in Shirley, close to Shirley Library), we could meet in town (Youngs or Fullers?). Bring the book and your favourite pen and I'll bring the tea bags.

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

I don't have the same day of every week (except Sunday), and I don't usually find out till Friday, which day I have of. Let me know what is best for you, I'm easy. I'll try and get a long to one of the C&D meetings, not sure when the next one is though.
Don't worry about the Tea bags, if you knew how many cups I have a day it would scare you .

Shirley? very posh. I have a friend who works in Shirley. She works in the Coral Bookmakers (use to be Richmonds)near the Mcdonalds in Wickham Road.

All the best

Rob

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

I drink gallons of tea but almost always before noon.

Just email me when you are next popping into Croydon centre on one of your days off and I could meet you for a quick cuppa am or swift half pm.

Alternatively, the next main C&D meeting will be the first Saturday of June in the City Darts, people arrive anytime between 4.30ish and 7.30ish. Terrific new barmaid in April - Lily - is the sweetest Japanese girl you ever did see, and she has asked the manager if she can look after us all again in June for the Jack the Lipper meeting.

The McDonalds in Wickham Road eh? Used to be The Shirley Poppy - not a great pub, I'll grant you, but anything's better than bloody burgers and crap fries - it's a bloody disgrace.

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

I usually manage 15 to 20 cups a day (Its my only vice).
I'll send you an email Friday evening, I'll be working till about 9 0'clock, and let you know my day of for next week, and we can take it from there.
I will try and get to a C&D meeting one of these days. It is to early for me to say for certain whether I will manage June but I will try.

All the best

Rob

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not trying to offend anybody, but where has the Rip thread gone?

Only joking - we just like input from the readership - even from those who only look at the pictures.

Love Caz, love all - catch up with you all soon, I hope.

Eduardo

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo,

I received the magazine today. Thank you.
Interesting stuff, and Daniel Olsson's article was a good one, displaying significant research efforts, (although some very minor details regarding the prostitution material puzzled me a bit), and I also very much enjoy the telephone article.

The mag seems well worthy a subscription, so I promise I'll apply for it in the summer, when my financial situation hopefully improves.
But, just a well-meant advice, from someone who works in the field -- change the typeface! There are more suitable ones, like Minion, Janson or Sabon.
It would not only improve the aesthetic look inside, it would also make the texts more readable. I know it's an occupational hazard on my part, but nevertheless...

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo,

Now, now--don't think I only looked at the pictures. In my defense, I'd only just got the issue :-)

You, Chris, Adam, and Paul Begg put together an issue worthy of reading several times over (and keeping on hand as a reference tool). I'm on my second go--while I enjoyed the Liz Stride piece, I think the real star of this issue was Andy Aliffe's telephone article. It had never occured to me that Whitechapel had telephones (although in limited numbers). Surprising that there was one installed in Kearley & Tongue, but as Aliffe wrote, it's too bad there was really no one to call (except Wynne Baxter, whose portrait I'm still delighted with and make no apologies for it).

I also really enjoyed your article on scandals. I never realized what an ass Alfred Douglas turned out to be as he grew older. His dad would have been so proud. And I was glad you included Crown Prince Rudolf, hinting that his story may have found their way into the Albert Victor/Annie Crook fable.

I admire your conversational writing style, by the way. It's an article I'm looking forward to re-reading.

Who writes the book reviews? Is it one person doing the reviewing? Whoever it is, the reviews make for enjoyable reading, because it's clear whoever's writing them knows their history/true crime.

See the thread for the Liz Stride article, for my thoughts on it (my post is a couple of weeks back, if you're interested).

Anyway, I'm glad I subscribed. It set me back, you know. But it's worth it.

Best,
Dave

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buenas tardes, Eduardo.

...even from those who only look at the pictures.

Ooh, get back in the knife drawer, Senor Sharp!

I'm only half way through your article as we speak, but I've had a hectic old week. I always love your writing, and you'd make an essay on Yellow Pages fascinating, so I never miss your stuff.

Hasta - Junio, espero.

Love,

Caz
X

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, David, Glenn,

Now you've made me blush.

Caz, I wasn't being serious in my comment about those who only look at the pictures...It's a remark one uses to take the mickey out of friends...And, by the way, much effort by Adam and the rest of the crew goes into trying to make the mag visually attractive as well as, we hope, readable and informative. In my view, the impact of Daniel Olsson's article, for instance, results as much from his original research as from the photographs, reproductions of documents and other graphic materials accompanyinng it.

Thank you all again. I'll pass our comments over to the rest of the team. Caz, I do hope to see you in June at the C & D.

Best,
Eduardo

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Eduardo

"It's a remark one uses to take the mickey out of friends" That's a nice sentiment, thanks for that.

I feel a little guilty--if I'd taken the time to write a comprehensive article, and the only remarks were about the illustrations, I guess I'd be a little disappointed :-)

Once again, thanks for putting together a grand issue.

Best,
Dave

adam wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Thanks for your comments on the magazine. Just a short note regarding the typeface; as someone who also works in design for a living I take great interest in your suggestions, but would respectfully answer that typeface preferences are nearly always a personal choice. I changed the original typeface 18 months ago in response to a couple of requests for a more legible text; until your post nobody has mentioned it since.

Please let me know the reasons why you feel the typeface should change; I'm not adverse to changing the magazine's appearance but, again with respect, it needs to be more than one person's viewpoint

Kind regards
Adam
Production, Ripperologist

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.