Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Magazines-which one? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Magazines-which one? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wandering which Ripper magazine you guys would suggest to me. I'm having trouble deciding because some seem so expensive for only a year, except Ripperana which is for a cheap price for one year.($15?) But which is the best deal you could get. By that, I mean, you get your money's worth.

-Chuck-

John Malcolm
Police Constable
Username: Johnm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Chuck,
Ripperana, Ripper Notes and Ripperologist are all well worth the money. You won't regret subscribing to any of them. Unlike some of the books currently available, there's no chance of being Ripped off.
John Malcolm

Steven G. Harsch
Police Constable
Username: Mrsteve74656

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm interested in subscribing to one of the ripper magazines, too. John, the three that you mentioned - where can I obtain information about subscribing to them? Thanks!

Martin Fido
Police Constable
Username: Fido

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In alphabetical order with no preference indicated:

Ripper Notes, ed. C-M DiGrazia, 132 Colby Street, Bradford, MA 01835, USA.
rn.editor@verizon.net
$30.00 pa in USA; $35.00 overseas, must be US funds drawn on UD bank.

Ripperana, ed. N.P.Warren, 16 Copperfield Way, Pinner HA5 5RY, England.
nwarren@ripperana.fsnet.co.uk
L8.00 pa in UK [How do I make a pound sterling sign in the boards' format, given that my computer is set to US usage?]. $20.00 US or 20 Euro [ditto the Euro sign?] from overseas: sterling may be in currency, or a UK bank's cheque or draft. Dollars and Euros should be currency.

Ripperologist, ed. Paul Begg.
Subscriptions manager: Coral Kelly, 170 Eswyn Road, Tooting, London SW17 8TN, England.
coralkelly@hotmail.com
$60.00 or L24.00 pa. Cheques in sterling only, made payable to The Cloak and Dagger Club.

All the best,

Martin F }}

Martin Fido
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad proofing, Fido! UD dollars shuld be US dollars.
Apologies to all,
Martin F

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin -

To make a pound sign on an American keyboard, you'll need to hold down the ALT key and, using the numerical keypad (usually on the right of your keyboard - make sure the number lock is set to on) type 1 5 6 quickly, and in that order, while ALT is depressed, then release ALT. £ £ £ £

(Or, you can just copy and paste from my pound signs above....)

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Martin Fido
Police Constable

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

£ It works! Many thanks, Stephen!
Martin F

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Martin et al.:

Sterling work, Martin! dancing

As former editor of Ripper Notes and current North American editor for Ripperologist I am of course greatly biased when I recommend that anyone interested in the case should subscribe to both of our publications.

I am, frankly, less sure of Ripperana since editor Nick Warren does consciously wander into non-Ripper areas of crime although I will say that I have found much valuable information in the pages of Ripperana though I do not at present subscribe. Let me mention that I find the Ripper magazines in general to be a mine of information.

At this present time, I am personally getting much valuable information on the Carrie Brown murder from the wonderful articles by Wolf Vanderlinden and Michael Conlon in the current issues of Ripper Notes (April-July 2003) and Ripperologist (May 2003), respectively. The cover of Ripperologist features a glorious sepia version of a photograph of Carrie Brown taken in life (see below) as well as two mortuary photographs, which, though degraded in detail, are nonetheless valuable in indicating the victims injuries and mutilations. Meanwhile, Wolf's article in "RN" features newspaper illustrations of the victim in life and the murder scene, a floor plan of the hotel where Mrs. Brown was murdered, as well as sketch portraits of witnesses. Wolf also dispells much of the misinformation about the Carrie Brown case and thus his contribution is thought provoking and useful on this tantalizing possible Ripper murder.

Best regards

Chris George

Carrie Brown

Carrie Brown ('Old Shakespeare') © NYC Municipal Archives

Martin Fido
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In defence of Nick's editorial policy, Chris, I'd have to say that Ripper discussions often turn on questions of characteristics common to certain types of serial killer - especially when contributors like Jon wish to challenge the orthodox opinion that these were sexual serial killings. (A debate on this front is opening up again on the other boards). So it can be useful to keep seeing whether serial stranger killing proves almost impossible to solve without scientific evidence of a kind that didn't exist in 1888, or whether any type of killer other than the sex maniac tended to mutilate his vicims' genitals and remove body parts.
I don't know that I'd call Nick's ventures into general multiple murder territory any more strikingly "irrelevant" than Ripperologist's permanent interest in the general history of Whitechapel and Spitalfields - which I also think valuable.
All the best,
Martin F

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Martin:

Thanks for your thoughts on Ripperana. I also think that some comparison with other serial killers is useful.

All the best

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I confess I'm lamentably ignorant about the various multiple mutilators who have appeared since the time of Jack. Could someone give me a rough idea how common (or uncommon) it has been for such murderers to operate
1.In populous towns (not in woodlands etc)
2.On the street (not killing in rooms)
3.On foot (not using a vehicle for a quick getaway)

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Martin Fido
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert!
Can't give you much idea about the statistical basis of mutilating murderers which you would apparently like. But I can offer the suggestion that
(i) If they select their victims from prostitutes, they let the prostitutes select the sites, which may be rooms (Cummins in the London blitz), or a variety of rooms, playing fields and concealed urban outdoor corners (Sutcliffe). When it became too dodgy to go on concentrating on prostitutes, Sutcliffe also killed chaste women in open air sites.
(ii) The selection of prostitutes as easy targets will predetermine urban settings, as prostitutes themselves inevitably gravitate from the hayfield to the city or harbour bar where there is a larger potential clientele.
(iii) Wheels always if the killer has wheels. If not,then like Peter Kurten, he will go on working on foot.
All the best,
Martin F

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin

Thanks for that. I shall have to read up on all these other murderers, because as you, Chris and others on the Boards have suggested, there are some valuable insights to be gained. I mustn't let the unique magic of this case blind me to the similarities with other crimes!

Robert

Julian Rosenthal
Police Constable
Username: Jules

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day everyone,

I'd just like you to know that 'Ripperoo' is still in publication and is not a bad read.

All enquiries can be sent to either myself or Leanne at Ripperoo2000@yahoo.com.

Julian Rosenthal
Editor
Ripperoo

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

My dad said that the F.B.I. said between 40 to over 200 operating at any given time in the U.S.A.

Trevor Weatherhead
He is coming back Monday from a conference on law In Charleston.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They can't say more accurately because of the victims being nameless people who go missing and unreported for years.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Trevor and Gary, thanks very much.

Robert

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo,

As someone who is receiving a subscription to the Ripperologist...thats Ripperologist, what do I get exactly for my monies worth ??*

*Monty fully accepts that there are other magazines out there which are just as good.

(Message edited by monty on December 09, 2003)
Monty
:-)

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Well, that's a hard question to answer, in a way. I have suscribed to every Ripper magazine - including the Whitechapel Journal - at one time or another, and I have enjoyed them all, though perhaps not to the same degree. I must also admit that I am biased in favour of Ripperologist, but the reason for that should be obvious.

More specifically, if you get the 50th issue, which came out in November, you will find articles by Victorian mystery author Anne Perry on why we remember Jack the Ripper, novelist, critic and presenter Kim Newman on 'Jack the Ripper' DVDs, Donald Rumbelow on 'Rumbiliana', or what a world-famous Ripper author does in his free time, L Perry Curtis on the Irish Connection, Shirley Harrison on the history of the Ripper Diary and its American connections, Stepan Poberowski on Nikolay Vasiliev and the Russian Castrati, Birgitta Leufstadius and Ted Nye on Elizabeth Stride's early life in Sweden, Bernie Brown on the man who caught Charlie Peace, Eduardo Zinna on Santa Claus and the Ripper, Wilf Gregg on violent crime, Rob Hills on Jack the Knacker, Chris Scott on census research and Christopher-Michael DiGrazia on time travel (of sorts), plus previously unpublished JTR letters, an I.D.of Mary Kelly - since disputed in these Boards - news, reviews, adverts, memorabilia, competitions and the Abberline Jr cartoon. An aspect that is often neglected is that Ripperologist is fully illustrated: no pics of the Ripper yet, but you'll find pics of Liz Stride's grave, the church where she worshipped, Russian Secret Service agents, Goulston Street, Samuel Pepys, Mike Barrett, you name it.

And if you had got issue 49th you would have read an article about the Elephant Man to which you inadvertently contributed.

Anyway; try it, you'll like it. I promise.

Cheers,
Eduardo

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo,

And if you had got issue 49th you would have read an article about the Elephant Man to which you inadvertently contributed.

Wheres my money ???!!!

Aint got any issue yet. Its a Christmas pressie. Im assuming they are being held back.

Oooh, KnackerJack eh ? Thats gonna sting in the morning son !

Thanks for the low down,

Monty
:-)

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Monty:

To borrow the promotional rah rah from ABC Wide World of Sports here in the U.S., the editorial team at Ripperologist scour the globe for the latest in Ripper news, publish the most up-to-date and best research in the field, review all the latest books and movies, etc, on the Whitechapel murders, East End history, and Victorian history. Need you ask for more? laugh

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist santa
http://www.ripperologist.info

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Must admit that I have a nostalgic fondness for RIPPERANA. Back in the halcyon days before the Internet it took me more than a year to find ordering information after a chance remark about the magazine in some Ripper Book. How did we ever survive offline?

Have to say, though, that it can indeed be annoying to often have more than half the (slim) issue devoted to all things non-Ripper.

My current magazine of choice by far is the RIPPEROLOGIST. I have only subscribed since #49 and own just one additional back copy, but that mag is everything I ever wanted in a magazine of its kind. A perfect 10 if you ask me.

Holger

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I've been reading Ripper Notes, Ripperologist, and Ripperana for a very long time. Ripperana used to be really good, back in the day, but really aren't any more. Ripper Notes, content wise, is (in my opinion) the best and most fun to read. Ripperologist is much dryer and less Ripper-oriented. Ripper Notes is almost exclusively Ripper. Unfortunately, Ripper Notes is a quarterly whereas Ripperologist a bi-monthly. However, RN editor CM DiGrazia has his finger on the pulse of Ripperology and knows how to put together a killer magazine that'll have you looking forward to each issue. Chris George's presence is missed on the pages, but it's good to see he's still around on the Rip. My suggestion would be to subscribe to both Ripperologist and Ripper Notes, and to email Nick Warren for a complimentary copy of Ripperana so you can see for yourself what it's like. As for Ripperoo, I've never read it, but I DID read their sample articles here on this site (Dissertations section) and was not impressed - It read as if the authors were just condensing facts from Jack the Riper A-Z and offering nothing original. But I admire the effort, and hope Ripperoo will grow to be a force in the industry. At that time, I'll gladly subscribe and sing their praises on this site.

Tom Wescott

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

I miss the good old times when you used to review each issue of Ripperologist in detail. It's always good to get feedback, whether on a single article or the magazine as a whole. Any chance of your returning to your former role as unpaid, but not unread or unappreciated, critic?

Bes,
Eduardo

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which magazine makes for the best bathroom reading? It's an American tradition to keep such publications available on the toilet tank top to peruse whilst awaiting the bowels to work. Based on my experience, I agree with Mr. Wescott above, re: "RN editor CM DiGrazia has his finger on the pulse of Ripperology and knows how to put together a killer magazine that'll have you looking forward to each issue." C-M does know how to make a big splash.

Bullwinkle

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.