Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripperologist issue 55: September 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 55: September 2004 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 24, 2004Christopher T George50 9-24-04  2:32 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally writes: 1. Once again, where did I say the photo of Andy Ailiffe was gratutitous?

Tom replies: What photo of Andy Aliffe ISN’T gratuitious?

Ally writes: That post wasn't talking about Andy Ailiffe. I am not being snotty, I seriously do not understand what you are talking about. On Ripper notes, I thought the pictures of the blood doll things were tacky. I still do. I don't see how that equates with me saying a photo of Andy is gratuitous. Was he one of the models for the blood dolls?

Tom replies: Don’t be obtuse, Allykins. You know I’m referring to the resemblance between the doll on the cover and Andy Aliffe. You should know my warped sense of humor by now.

Ally writes: 2. Tom. Sigh. There is a vast difference between being called an ass-kisser and being called a whore.

Tom replies: Is this knowledge coming from experience? Regardless, I’d have to agree. To get a whore to kiss your ass costs extra.

Ally writes: And if you have a "personal relationship" of the type to which I was referring with Chris George..well I admire your courage in outing the both of you on the boards.

Tom replies: Calling meze a fag, are ya? Sorry, the hinges on my closet door would need A LOT more WD40 to ever come flying open for the likes of Chris the G-man!

Ally writes: I shall alert Mikey that he has been joined by friends.

Tom replies: Who? The kid from the cereal commercials? I heard he’d try anything, but…?

Ally writes: You were definitely referring to my groupie status when you were discussing my sex life and frankly,

Tom replies: You have a groupie status? Do tell!

Ally writes: the only person who needs to be discussing my sex life is me, and definitely not in a public forum and not on an internet message board.

Tom replies: I understand. In that case, please email me the details of your sex life. Photo attachments would be appreciated.

Ally writes: The sex life of any poster has no business being used as a weapon on this board and that includes me, you, Fido and Begg.

Tom replies: Wait! Begg has a sex life?

Ally writes: Don't go there. It's irrelevant to the conversation.

Tom replies: Hold on, back up. Begg has a sex life?!

Ally writes: You insinuated I was a groupie and made reference to me sleeping with someone.

Tom replies: Irony, Allister. I was only pointing out the irony of it all. Now, back to this Begg thing…

Ally writes: When a man has to resort to calling a woman a whore to win an argument all it does is show how weak he is, both as a man and an arguer.

Tom replies: Are you talking about the Diary here? Oh, you’re talking about me! So, was I “insinuating” you’re a “groupie” or “calling” you a “whore”?

Ally writes: If you actually want to call me a whore straight out, feel free, that I don't mind.

Tom replies: Whore.

Ally writes: But do not think you can denigrate my personal relationships on the boards without getting a severe ass-kicking as a result.

Tom replies: Now, now…you said “the next time” I denigrate your relationship you’ll kick my ass. So, I’m free and clear on this one, baby! So, where does Begg meet these women?

Ally writes: In other words, don't bring the object of my affections into it.

Tom replies: Hear that Stephen, you’re just an object to her.

Ally writes: If you want to wrangle with me and call me every dirty name in the book, go ahead

Tom replies: Can I pull your hair, too? Sounds like we’re into the same kind of stuff. I never pegged you for a sub, though. What about Begg? And these are WOMEN he’s meeting, right?

Ally writes: ( I won't go crying to the management like a big cough..sissy..cough)

Tom replies: Cool. I’d prefer Stephen not know about our wrangling too.

Ally writes: but do it straight to me and don't bring the names of others into this.

Tom replies: Don’t worry, I learned my lesson YEARS ago about calling a girl the wrong name during wrangling. But does that mean no roleplay?

Ally writes: Oh and yes I just physically threatened you again, but no, I am not a moderator and haven't been for over a year now, almost two.

Tom replies: I couldn’t think of anything witty or asinine to say in reply to this. Sorry, folks.

Ally writes: I found being a moderator too constricting as I couldn't tell someone that they would get the ass-kicking they richly deserved or what total idiotic morons they were ( not saying you are a moron, just saying that I wanted the freedom to say such things should I choose).

Tom replies: You telling me just now that you weren’t saying I was a moron might just be the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me. Chris, roll over and pass me the tissue.

Ally writes: As for me ever writing a book...shoot,

Tom replies: No thanks, I’m saving my bullets for Slemen.

Ally writes: no way, no how. The only book I could ever write was "The Real Inside Story, The Backstabbing, The Lies, The Quest for Ripper Domination" and who would ever want to read that?

Tom replies: Take the reading audience for ‘Ripper Diary’, multiply it by ten, and throw in Howard Brown. Sounds like a bestseller to me. My Ripper Domination is yet to come. What will the chapter on Begg’s sex life be called, ‘I Begg To Stiff Her’?

Ally writes: So it's clear, the above is not written in an offensive tone.

Tom replies: Yeah, all the whore stuff and ass-kicking talk went down like sweet nothings.

Ally writes: However, it is early and I didn't bother choosing my words with total care.

Tom replies: So, you’re saying you write all your posts early in the morning?

Ally writes: So it may seem that way. It's not though.

Tom replies: Okay, thanks for clearing that up. So, does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Ally writes: Off for a weekend in the woods,

Ally

Tom replies: Guess so.

Ally writes: P.S I am sure that's the pretext Begg used to write to you. If he sticks to that subject I'll drop dead with shock.

Tom replies: Actually, I have no idea what you meant by that P.S. Truthfully, Begg and I have been corresponding mainly about Ripperologist, and he was telling me about a theory he has on some Polish Jew. I told him he should write a book about it.

NOTE: I was only having fun above, because Ally is so fun to talk with. I hope nothing is taken seriously by any parties concerned, and that includes that awesome Andy Aliffe and any women (?) who fear they may be implicated in Begg’s sex life. I DO NOT think Ally is a whore or a groupie. I have too much respect for Stephen P. Ryder to ever think he would maintain for so long a relationship with a woman like that. I absolutely hate conceding to Ally, but she’s right in that it was tacky for me to bring her and Spryder’s sex life into our discussion. I hope Ally accepts my public apology and chooses to move forward so that we may find a new issue to argue over. As for Begg’s sex life, that must remain up in the air.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

Thank goodness you weren't being serious.

Take the reading audience for ‘Ripper Diary’, multiply it by ten,

[ok, 0 multiplied by 10 = 0]

and throw in Howard Brown.

Sounds like a bestseller to me.

And there was I, for one spectacular moment, imagining how rich Howie must be to make a book a bestseller all on his ownsome.

Love,

Caz
X

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And there was I, for one spectacular moment, imagining how rich Howie must be"....Caz

Actually this here latter-day peacenik} will wind up in the poorhouse pretty soon,as he intends to buy Stan's book,Bob McLaughlin's book,Mr.Begg's book,Amanda Howard and Martin Smiths'
book,send Emily[ Mrs. Ivor} Edwards real food from the States,Alan Sharp's book,subscribe to Ripperologist,and use the balance of his shekels to save up for a kupla beers with Tom and Ally at the next U.S.Convention...I've been on the wagon for going on three weeks and I am sooooo frigging miserable..but to have a few Negra Modelos with youse would be worth the wait.
Maybe if I am lucky,I can score some absinthe...I know people.
Add Caz' book to my list...I still have my eye on you woman....

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris George,

Lovely. I do love being called an American hypocrite as if hypocrisy was unique to these shores. Do you actually put any thought into your counter-arguments at all? First, the photo being included in Ripperologist is gratuitous not superfluous and my gripe is not with the photo being included in Ripperologist, I really don't give a rat's rear what's in Ripperologist anymore. My gripe is with your lame attempt to justify it by saying it was not gratuitous. As I also pointed out when you first made the argument, if you felt a photo was needed, there are approximately 30,000 photos of Janet Jackson available that could have been used, you chose the tit one. If Ripperologist wants to be a titty magazine, then they ought to just be one without the lame attempts at justification. It's the lame explanations that are more offensive than the photo as they presume that we are all stupid enough to believe them. Next thing you know, you'll be expecting us to believe you read Ripperologist for the articles.

Tom,

Damn you are a giggle aren't you?

Until next we wrangle,

Ally

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So titter ye not!!!
- but seriously I agree with Ally 100%
it was tacky to publish the picture.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY REVIEW:

I'll be much nicer this time....

When the new issue arrived I said 'Sweet!', and did what every other guy who reads the mag does...locks himself in the bathroom, turns the lights down low, and flips right to the middle section where the 'good stuff' is. I looked and looked...no Janet the Nippler. Instead, Tom Slemen was staring back at me. As hypnotic and brooding as his eyes are, my imagination has its limits. So, I tucked Dr. Stanley (Power Tool, that is) backing and retired to my room to peruse the new issue. Looks good, but then Adam Wood rarely if ever disappoints. However, the description of the cover reads, “Richard Mansfield as Jekyll and Hyde”. I scratched my head and looked at the cover again. I suppose that blob must be Jekyll…or maybe it’s Hyde. But I’ll be damned if Mansfield doesn’t do an awesome Gull, and Warren, and Anderson, and any number of Ripper-time fogeys! I then took a look at the contents. With the exception of a piece on Ostrog (yeah, as if HE was Jack), no Ripper articles. Not one. We’ll get to that later.

* Marmite Arguments, Or Assumptions Revisited: Editorial by Paul Begg
I don’t see why this editorial would cause controversy, but apparently it has. All Paul is doing here is stating the obvious: that discussing the Diary is like NASCAR – You go round and around and around until, eventually, you wind up back where you started (unless you took a right turn, which is what all NASCAR fans are waiting for). These types of discussions are what has pretty much killed these lovely boards in recent years, and that bugs me. Bugs Paul too. He doesn’t broach the subject of his sex life. Must be holding that back till the Xmas issue. In typical Ripperologist fashion, their American readers are ignored. As if we have crap like Marmite here. Please. We have Miracle Whip, and half their buyers DON’T hate it. If I hadn’t have asked, I’d still be in the dark, no doubt like most of us Yanks reading the editorial.
* The Duke of Baker Street by Jan Bondeson
I haven’t read it yet, but it’s by Bondeson so it’s probably good. It’s about Littlechild but, in keeping with the theme of the issue, has nothing to do with Jack.
* The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Saucy Jacky by Alan Sharp
This was a great article. Although it really has nothing to do with Jack the Ripper (remember, this is Ripperologist I’m reviewing), it’s a very well-written, entertaining, and educational read. It revolves around a parallel that’s been explored a few times: modern censorship (like when that chick Thatcher wouldn’t let the Brits watch horror movies in the 80’s) and how the same thing happened in 1888 with Mansfield. Sharp doesn’t mention how people were crying about the bloody and suggestive posters around town (to get an idea of how they griped, read Ally’s posts about the cover of the last Ripper Notes), and how they may have fueled the Ripper’s fire, but it’s the same concept. Any way, good article. In fact, I wouldn’t have minded had it been longer, with some more info on Mansfield himself.
* Plaque Unveiled to the Elephant Man in Leicester, by Neil Bell
The town that tortured and crucified Joe Merrick are putting up a little plaque in his honor, now that he’s a legend. How sweet of them. The article reads, ‘The English weather held out – it was extremely warm that day.’ And believe me, May in Leicester is rarely warm. Maybe someone was looking down on us.’ Maybe someone was, but it wasn’t Merrick, because had he been it would’ve rained yellow and smelled of ammonia. Actually, anyone who’s read the books on Merrick knows he was a cool guy who took his crappy life in stride and enjoyed what he could. Wonder what he’d think of the Diary threads. From what I understand, author Neil Bell is ‘Monty’, who posts a lot on these and other boards – once in a while he even posts about the JTR case! – and it was good to see his debut in Rip. Since Monty is a fraud investigator, I hope Rip keeps him on tab to review Slemen’s book. More on Slemen in a minute.
* Samuel Montagu, MP, and East End Jewish Philanthropist, by Christopher T. George
Talk about Déjà vu, didn’t they just run this article a couple of issues ago? No, wait…this one’s a little different. Oh, it’s ANOTHER essay on Montagu from Chris George. Great. Lotta stuff in here about poor Jews, etc., with Montagu to the rescue. Nothing about Jack. Chris George is a talented writer, but I hope this isn’t turning into a series.
* The Mysterious Case of MFJ Sobieski, by Scott Sanders
An interesting case regarding Ostrog and the similarities he bears to a French guy calling himself royalty and going by the name Sobieski. Scott’s an archivist at Antioch University. I’ve also thought Antioch was a funny word; you know, like ‘manifesto’, or ‘credenza’. I wonder if he has a ‘manifesto’ of ‘antioch’ on his ‘credenza’. Ha ha. Marmite. But anyway, back to the story. It’s cool, and though it won’t enlighten any of us in our Ripper studies (there aren’t any Ostrogists out there, are there?), at least it was about a contemporary suspect and therefore bears relevance to Ripperology, making one wonder how it slipped in.
* From Bereward’s Lane to Middlesex Street, by Coral Kelly
I really liked this piece. It was short, well-written, to the point, and educational. A great, concise history of Petticoat Lane. I hope Coral Kelly does some more like this for other streets of interest to us (i.e. Goulston Street, Dorset Street, Sesame Street).
* Newspaper Trawl, by Chris Scott
Dude, what can I say? Chris the Clipper is back with more press cuttings, some of which will no doubt hold great interest to readers. His contributions alone are worth subscribing.
* I Beg to Report
Okay, since this is a play on the editor’s last name, shouldn’t it read ‘I Begg to report’? Otherwise, the joke is lost. But anyway, here is where we find Slemen. Ostensibly, the piece is a quote in which Tom is refusing to do Ripper Walks in Liverpool, or some such stuff, which makes sense to me, seeing as how Slemen is not a Diaryist. They could have ended the piece there, but Ye Olde Editors have a sense of humor, but are too polite to make an ass of Slemen, so they let him do it himself by running the following quote from him, “The diarist also states that, after butchering Mary Kelly, he left body parts on the table. The official police files state categorically that one piece was left by Kelly’s right foot, and another was placed under her head. People ignorant of these facts still make “pilgrimages” to the grave of James Maybrick…” Although the editors will deny it, they ran this piece to make fun of Tom, since everyone and their grandma - and that includes granny Slemen – know that some of Mary WAS on the table and more than just two “body parts” were dispatched. Can’t wait to read his book! Elsewhere in the news is stuff about Spitalfields and Hanbury Street, Dorset Street, and the stuff going on there. The usual book news, like that Whittington-Egan promises to have his ‘Quest’ book ready for the next centenary, etc. No smut, though. Dammit.
* On The Crimebeat, by Wilf Gregg
Gregg reviews yet more books that I will never read.
* Reviews
This is where the highlight of the issue is. Let’s look at it: “…and there are pieces by Thomas C. Wescott and Howard Brown.” Not that I’m excited about having my name in the same sentence as Howard Brown, but at least they spelled it right this time. Let’s take another look…”and there are pieces by Thomas C. Wescott…” Looks good, but they failed to remark on the sheer brilliance of my piece. This quote’s is from their review of the new, most-godly, version of Ripper Notes, which has a small, but absolutely perfect, article from me in it. All the other writers demanded that their articles appear before mine, so that they wouldn’t pale in comparison to my otherworldly prose, which is why my article was WAAYYYY in the back of the issue (you readin’ this, Dan Norder?). They then go on to talk about Jennifer Pegg’s cute little column, and they give Jennifer’s age. She’s 20. What the hell? Why do we need to know that? They don’t tell us that Wilf Gregg is 103? They then tell us that Jennifer’s column is ‘not afraid to ask questions’, which is a good thing since it’s a survey column. They give RN a glowing review, although I think ‘digest-sized’ is a more fitting description than ‘trade paperback’. They didn’t like the cover, but then neither did my soul-sister, Ally. Must be an Andy Aliffe bug going around.
* The Last Word, by Christopher-Michael DiGrazia
What can you say? DiGrazia is always fun to read, no matter what he’s talking about. They should give him two pages. I noticed he didn’t quote from my Overton-Fuller book. Maybe he doesn’t need it any more. Hmmm…

Overall, a well laid-out issue, filled with great prose and talented writers, but, alas, no Jack. Imagine if all these talents were to put their minds to the JACK THE RIPPER CASE. I’ll bet they’d come up with some great stuff. Begg says he’d love more Jack articles, but they aren’t being submitted. Huh? George is YOUR editor, and he’s writing about Montagu…twice! I understand that Rip can’t afford to pay contributors, but still, when soliciting articles, ASK the writers to submit something on Jack. Where’s Alex Chisholm? Dave Yost? Michael Condon? Tim Moseley (who’s cool because he quoted me twice in his last article form RN, and counted me as part of the ‘future of Ripperology. Word.) These guys always have something to say. From what Begg says, more Jack is on the menu, and in fact they want an article from me…which will be long…and WILL relate directly to the Ripper. So, considering that, I wholeheartedly recommend that all you cheapskates who don’t already subscribe to Rip go to their website now at www.ripperologist.info and subscribe. If you don’t, you have no business posting on this website.

I’m out like all the info on Mary Kelly’s crime scene in Slemen’s copy of ‘Ultimate JTR’,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tom

Thanks for that. Yup I guess you could say that a number of articles in our September issue were tangential to the Ripper story as such, though we might counter with how many articles can you stomach on Mary Jane Kelly's lost key????

As I stated in my previous posting, I think part of our mission is to educate our readership on East End and Victorian history that will illuminate our understanding of Jack and his times. So therefore the article by Coral on Petticoat Lane helps to fill in the background of the area, leading up to the Ripper murders and down to our present time. My piece on Samuel Montagu, not the same as the earlier article on him that centered more on his career, touched other aspects of Jewish East End philanthropy by Montagu and other well-off Jews, hopefully informing our readership about conditions on the mass of poor Jews who lived in the area where the murders took place. I do plan further articles on the Jews of the East End although my article in the November issue, please be assured, will be directly Ripper related, as should most of the offerings in the issue.

Incidentally, our "I Beg" section has nothing to do with the coincidental fact that our Boss's name is Begg. It comes from the polite preamble in the letters written by the detectives on the case. Have a look at Evans and Skinner's indispensible Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion wherein you will see that Messrs. Abberline, Reid, etc., always began their reports with "I beg to report. . ."

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got the latest Ripperologist yesterday.

The cover was freaky. It was like one of those old spirit photographs with people standing around and then the head of some guy floating there. Except with lots of heads.

I mostly just read the reviews (of course) and the news briefs section so far, and skimmed the rest.

Actually, I have to defend Tom Slemen. It seemed pretty clear to me that he was talking about MJK's breasts (based upon the locations he mentioned that they were found at) and that's what he was going on about, and not body parts in general. The diary specifically says the killer put the breasts on the table, and that's obviously what Slemen was saying was wrong.

Who knows, it could be he's shy about saying the word "breasts" or something, either in general or to the local paper he was talking to when he said it. Yes, I know it might be unbelievable to those reading this thread that someone wouldn't want to talk about breasts. Or whatever. But there's no doubt what he meant.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Just going to check the cover of my Rip...

....ah, yes....

...... a journal of Jack the Ripper, London's East End and the Victorian era.

And dont worry, we have a file on Mr Slemen !!!

Woooo ha-ha-haaaaaa !!

Monty
:-)

Neil who ???

Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

You do realize you have just ensured that Ripperologist will now forever be known as Niplerologist, right?

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! some disc here!!!!
Well I thought it was the best Rip for a long time for what thats worth!
Pic not remotely gratuitous Id say
Love the idea about being 'shy' about saying breasts!!! whhhhhhhhhhhho hoooooooooo

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this Jackson woman the sister of Michael? If so, how do we know it's her own tit?

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Chris those articles were great.The Petticoat Lane one by Coral Kelly,Alan Sharp"s one about Dr Jekyll and Saucy Jack and your own about Samuel Montagu-all good reads and lots of interesting info.The one about Ostrog was fascinating too.Sounds like he was your natural "con man".The news Trawls too by Chri Scott.
I still believe the backdrop to the ripper case was predominantly one of massive class conflict as well as the internicine stuff with the established Jewish settlers and the poor sweatshop workers.The dire poverty and desperation was what fuelled Whitechapel and the east end at the time and the ruling class were sh*tt**g themselves as a result.And its interesting that the ripper appears to have chosen two spots at least that were under police scrutuny at the time for insurgents-Mitre Square and The International working mens education club.
I know Ive said all this before but I think it may have some significance to the case itself.The place was wild and ready to rise up.Maybe the murders were a diversion?[no...dont take that seriously]Maybe he was some crazed "agent provocateur"---overstepping the line of duty!!!
Who Knows?
Anyway looking forward to more on the East end.
Best Nats

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe we should start a thread for those who want to say rude words!

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi writes: Wow! some disc here!!!!
Well I thought it was the best Rip for a long time for what thats worth!

Tom replies: You get your Ripperologist on disc? Mine’s paper. Best Rip in a long time? Was it your first issue or something?

Monty writes: ...... a journal of Jack the Ripper, London's East End and the Victorian era.

Tom replies: Thanks, Monty, I’m a dumbass who can’t read. You’ll notice the order in which those run. As a humble subscriber, I think priority should run in exactly that order, and don’t feel that’s usually the case. Sounds like my b*tching’s paying off, though.

Dan writes: Actually, I have to defend Tom Slemen.

Tom writes: There’s something you don’t see everyday. You have to, do ya? Why, does he give you free palm readings, or did he cleanse your house of an unruly poltergeist free of charge?

Dan writes: It seemed pretty clear to me that he was talking about MJK's breasts

Tom writes: No wonder Rip published him, then.

Dan writes: (based upon the locations he mentioned that they were found at) and that's what he was going on about, and not body parts in general. The diary specifically says the killer put the breasts on the table, and that's obviously what Slemen was saying was wrong.

Tom writes: But that’s not what he said, Dan. Or if it is, he was misquoted and, thus far, hasn’t raised a fuss. It’s silly to say ‘there was no body parts on the table’ when you KNOW there was, rather they were breasts or not.

Chris G writes: Thanks for that.

Tom replies: Z’alright.

Chris G writes: Yup I guess you could say that a number of articles in our September issue were tangential to the Ripper story as such,

Tom writes: I could say that, but I didn’t. I said there were no Ripper articles in your September issue.

Chris G writes: though we might counter with how many articles can you stomach on Mary Jane Kelly's lost key????

Tom replies: One really good one would be nice. Still waiting on it. Actually, I have a pretty good idea – take one idea (such as the one you mentioned, or something better) and solicit an essay from three different writers, with a word max, and publish the three essays together. It would be neat to see three perspectives, from the same space of time, from three different knowledgeable writers.

Chris G writes: I do plan further articles on the Jews of the East End

Tom replies: That’s fine. They’re good peeps and have interesting stories. Particularly if your pieces focus on the population contemporary to Jack. I asked about ‘Montagu’.

Chris G writes: although my article in the November issue, please be assured, will be directly Ripper related, as should most of the offerings in the issue.

Tom writes: Woo-hoo!!! See, Rip’s a mag that listens to its readers. What’s your article about?

Ally writes: You do realize you have just ensured that Ripperologist will now forever be known as Niplerologist, right?

Tom replies: If that’s true, we should see their subscriptions doubling in the next month.

Natalie writes: Maybe we should start a thread for those who want to say rude words!

Tom replies: Why, what kind of ‘rude words’ are you aching to say, other than ‘sh*tt*ng’? :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh....Tom...you need a shot of absinthe,my rural partner in whatever-it-is-we-are-partners-in....

A half hour before the "dissing" [ being in the same sentence as me...], you sent me an e-mail..and I quote:

"God How.....you are so kinda cute !" Will we be room mates at the 2006 Convention?? Pretty please???
I have it for anyone who wants a copy over here.

What are you smoking,T.W. ?

"like when that chick Thatcher
wouldn’t let the Brits watch horror movies in the 80’s"
Again,Mr. Researcher from the Rustic Sector...you're wrong
Mrs. Thatcher was the Head Honcho when "Freaks" was "allowed" to be shown in Britain. That film,which features many Southwestern American archetypes,was banned for 50 years...until Mrs.Thatcher took charge.

Its Mosley,homes...not Moseley. One of the best thinkers in Ripperology deserves better....

....I'll get you back in spades brother,over at you-know-where....remember,I can edit your posts to make you sound as stupid as say.....me. And thats pretty stupid.

All of this is in fun....and I suspect T.W. and I will be tossing back a few beers in 2006....unless I see Jenni or Caz or anything with soft ankles,first.....

I'm watching you,Wescott.......
Your pal.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz (co-author of ‘Ripper Diary’) and Howard (author of ‘Jack sh*t’) wrote a couple of days ago, and my rude self failed to respond. Well, I’ll have to set that straight now. Good peeps, the both of them.

Caz writes: Hi Tom,

Tom replies: Waddup, girl.

Caz writes: Thank goodness you weren't being serious.

Tom replies: Yeah, I don’t like to get mean and hurl insults out of anger. Rarely feel I have a reason to. But I do enjoy flexing my rather biting sense of humor (that’s ‘humour’ for you Brits), especially when people keep sending me e-mails telling me I’m funny. If I start getting lots of hate e-mails (no, Slemen, that’s not an invitation), I’d probably stop. In essence, we’re a fan club devoted to a woman-killer. We’re all weird, you know.

Caz writes: Take the reading audience for ‘Ripper Diary’, multiply it by ten,

[ok, 0 multiplied by 10 = 0]

and throw in Howard Brown.

Sounds like a bestseller to me.

And there was I, for one spectacular moment, imagining how rich Howie must be to make a book a bestseller all on his ownsome.

Tom replies: I do believe you invented the word ‘ownsome’. Or, perhaps you ‘forged’ it? Harris DID say there were three co-conspirators behind the Diary, right? Where were YOU, Linder, and Skinner, between 1988 and 1992? Hmmmm? :

Howard writes: "And there was I, for one spectacular moment, imagining how rich Howie must be"....Caz

Actually this here latter-day peacenik } will wind up in the poorhouse pretty soon,as he intends to buy Stan's book,Bob McLaughlin's book,Mr.Begg's book,Amanda Howard and Martin Smiths' book,

Tom replies: MLaughlin? Smith? Who are they? As for Paul Begg’s new book, I’ve only read about 50 pages, but can already tell you it’s a must have. I’ll do a review once I’ve finished it. I’m also reading Chris Mile’s book. I’m at the part where he he’s finishing his 50th carton of cigarettes (month 5 in his grueling 7 month investigation), and it’s about his 20th visit to a local pub. Oh yeah, and he was the first to ‘identify’ Hutchinson as the Ripper. Mmm hmmm. But I digress.

Howard writes: send Emily[ Mrs. Ivor} Edwards real food from the States,

Tom replies: If you send her our tea she’ll hate you.

Howard writes: Alan Sharp's book,

Tom replies: Shouldn’t this have gone with the other books, before Emily’s food? Anyway, I’m getting that one too. I liked his article in the new Rip.

Howard writes: subscribe to Ripperologist,

Tom replies: Getting tired of reading about JTR, are we? (Just kidding Chris and Paul! Geez!)

Howard writes: and use the balance of his shekels to save up for a kupla beers with Tom and Ally at the next U.S.Convention...

Tom replies: I don’t drink beer, so Ally can have mine, but when she starts getting tipsy, that’ll be your cue to skedaddle and let the Tomster do his thing. You feel me, homey?

Howard writes: I've been on the wagon for going on three weeks and I am sooooo frigging miserable..

Tom replies: Would you like a little cheese to go with that whine?

Howard writes: but to have a few Negra Modelos with youse would be worth the wait.

Tom replies: Negro models sounds pretty tight to me. How many you know? They freaks? Props for sharin’, yo. Don’t hate the playa, hate the game. Peace.

Howard writes: Maybe if I am lucky,I can score some absinthe...I know people.

Tom replies: Watch out, that sh*t’ll make ya psychic. Maybe you can have Ivor follow you around spouting out Shakespeare.

Howard writes: Add Caz' book to my list...I still have my eye on you woman....

Tom replies: Stalker.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well......at least you mentioned my book title and overall contribution to the Case !

All is forgiven

Love....your roomie!

.......and soon-to-be-rewording-your-posts-to-help-you-with-any-possible-sales-of-any-books-you-intend-to-publish-in-the-future !

(Message edited by howard on September 27, 2004)

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I was writing my last post, Howard 'Hooked on Chronic' Brown was typing away.

Howard writes: Ahhh....Tom...you need a shot of absinthe,my rural partner in whatever-it-is-we-are-partners-in....

Tom replies: Absinthe again...notice a pattern here?

A half hour before the "dissing" [ being in the same sentence as me...], you sent me an e-mail..and I quote:

Howard writes: "God How.....you are so kinda cute !" Will we be room mates at the 2006 Convention?? Pretty please???
I have it for anyone who wants a copy over here.

What are you smoking,T.W. ?

Tom replies: Cheaper sh*t than you are, obviously.

Howard writes: "like when that chick Thatcher
wouldn’t let the Brits watch horror movies in the 80’s"
Again,Mr. Researcher from the Rustic Sector...you're wrong
Mrs. Thatcher was the Head Honcho when "Freaks" was "allowed" to be shown in Britain. That film,which features many Southwestern American archetypes,was banned for 50 years...until Mrs.Thatcher took charge.

Tom replies: Howard, you silly man. What usually happens when you call me out as "wrong"? No differene this time. I don't have time to find and quote the necessary documents, but feel free to ask Alan Sharp. I'll bet he knows and can tell you. 'Freak' has nothing to do with 'Chainsaw Massacre', etc.

Howard writes: Its Mosley,homes...not Moseley. One of the best thinkers in Ripperology deserves better....

Tom replies: I know his name. Musta been a typo. You're write, Tim is cool. Anyone who publishes an article in which I'm alluded to as the future of Ripperology HAS to be considered one of the best thinkers in Ripperology.

Howard writes:....I'll get you back in spades brother,over at you-know-where....remember,I can edit your posts to make you sound as stupid as say.....me. And thats pretty stupid.

Tom writes: Nothing to say to that, folks.

Howard writes: All of this is in fun....and I suspect T.W. and I will be tossing back a few beers in 2006....unless I see Jenni or Caz or anything with soft ankles,first.....

Tom writes: As I'm the habitually sober one, I'll see them all first and get there first. Aren't you 20 years older than me, as well? The race is on, my friend, the race is on.

Howard writes: I'm watching you,Wescott.......

Tom replies: Stalker.

Your pal.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom..........Timmy ain't usually wrong..

I'll bet money on it.

Peace.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim isn't wrong about what? I'm talking about what you said, that Thatcher had nothing to do with the ban on 'video nasties' in Britain in the 1980's. Wanna bet, do ya?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In essence, we’re a fan club devoted to a woman-killer. We’re all weird, you know.

I've got to agree with that one!! (I'm certainly weird !!)

Jenni

"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Howie and Tom show was filmed before a barely live audience !

The Announcer.

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's not saying much for the previous issues Suzi!

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

Just a small point regarding your continued comments on the amount of Ripper related material in Ripperologist: it has always been the aim of the various Editors, from Mark Galloway through Paul Daniel to Paul Begg, that the magazine should encompass not just the Ripper but also East End history and Victoriana. This has been printed on our masthead since the turn of this year.

Which other magazines document the history of Petticoat Lane? Or the fact that 'modern' Dorset Street is about to be built over and will forever be inaccessible?

We appreciate that there are some who only want to read Ripper material, but equally there are others who value this kind of research, which will often go undocumented if not published in our pages.

The next issue (November) marks the 10th anniversary of the first issue of the magazine. We must be doing something right!

Regards
Adam
www.ripperologist.info

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh to be young again - and easily pleased.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

I prefer Bovril.

Cheers, Mark (it's the beefy goodness - err, that's me not the Bovril)

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To answer the points above:

Freaks was indeed certified during the time Thatch was in charge, but it had nothing to do with her being in charge. In the UK all film censorship is arranged through the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification). The film was resubmitted to them and they saw no reason not to certify it uncut.

The video nasties act, on the other hand, was an actual act passed by the government banning around 150 movies, mostly exploitation flicks from the 70's, including such wonderful titles as "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Zombie Flesh Eaters", but also some actually very good movies including "Last House on the Left".

At the time the newspapers made a huge fuss around one of the films, called "I Spit On Your Grave" which they held up as being the epitomy of depravity. At this time I was about 18 and most Fridays I used to head down the pub with my mates and on the way we would nip in and hire a video for after they were shut. I always remember that a couple of weeks after the ban came in we were in the video shop searching the shelves and the guy behind the counter shouted to us "looking for anything in particular lads" and one of us laughed and said "Yeah, I Spit On Your Grave". The man looked around furtively, put his finger to his lips, and pulled a plain video case out from under the counter.

Actually it would have been better if he hadn't. That film deserved to be banned. Not because it was depraved and likely to lead to violence. Just because it was such a bad film!

I don't know if the video nasties act is still in operation, but most of the films banned under it have since been re-classified and are now available for purchase.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

'Cannibal Holocaust' is a wonderful title and deserved the BBFC ban. IMHO a must see film.

"Visceral. Disturbing. In a perfect world, all horror movies would be accurately described by these three important adjectives. But it's not a perfect world, and as genre fans, we often find ourselves settling for movies that are maybe only one of the above -- if we're lucky. And that, my friends, is why Cannibal Holocaust is one of the greatest horror/exploitation movies ever filmed.

Released in 1979, Cannibal Holocaust was one of the last titles released in the popular Italian cannibal cycle, yet it's regarded by many critics as the finest film in the entire subgenre. Director Ruggero Deodato (Jungle Holocaust, House on the Edge of the Park) manages to create a classic "chunkblower" in terms of onscreen gore, yet he also infuses the work with a sense of morality that seems strangely out of place in an Italian exploitation flick.

The film utilizes the mock documentary setup nearly 20 years prior to The Last Broadcast and The Blair Witch Project, focusing on several young mondo-style filmmakers who enter the South American jungle (referred to as the "green hell") to find a lost tribe of cannibals. The filmmakers never return, leading a professor (Robert Kerman: Cannibal Ferox, Eaten Alive, and a whole ton of pornos under the name R. Bolla) to go in search of them roughly a year later. Kerman finds the tribe, barters for the footage, and returns to NYC -- where we see what happened to the film crew.

As is to be expected in an exploitation flick, the acting is pretty bad (although not as bad as the NYC scenes in Cannibal Ferox). Each thespian plays their character with a completely over-the-top sense of glee, especially the members of the film crew, who are the antagonists for the first half of the film. Kerman turns in a decent performance as the professor, but everyone else around him who isn't a cannibal is overacting... badly.

But no one watches a film like Cannibal Holocaust for the performances, right? No, we watch a movie like this mainly for the gore. So, does it deliver the goods? You bet. This is one of those films that separates the men from the boys. The FX work of Aldo Gasparri (White Slave, Django 2) is impressive, especially when you stop to consider that this movie was made in the '70s with a very limited budget and little of today's FX technology. Scenes like the woman impaled on a pole -- through her vagina and out her mouth -- are incredibly realistic and much more powerful than any of today's big-budget CGI horror FX. Other atrocities caught on camera include: a castration, some beatings with large hammers, gut munching, some real-life cruelty to animals (sadly, several real animals are killed on tape), and a few rapes... you're not gonna want to have a screening of this one for grandma and the kids.

Needless to say, Cannibal Holocaust has been banned just about everywhere. It was one the first of the "video nasties" to receive an outright banning in Britain, and it was even banned in Deodato's homeland, Italy. In fact, in an unprecedented move, Deodato had to endure an obscenity trial after being unable to convince Italian authorities that the footage was indeed staged. Deodato lost the original trial, and all prints were to be destroyed. He managed to have the ruling overturned in the early '80s.

The film is well shot, with the second half documentary footage looking extremely real. Unlike The Blair Witch Project, the footage is relatively steady and shouldn't cause anyone to clutch for the Dramamine. Also worth noting is Riz Ortolani's (Revenge of the Dead, House on the Edge of the Park) score, which is strangely mellow, yet contrasts the onscreen carnage quite nicely.

Gianfranco Clerici's (Jungle Holocaust, New York Ripper) script is better than would be required in a film of this kind, managing to balance the exploitation and depravity with some moral themes. One character wonders who the real savages are in the film, and the story certainly points out that it is us. Whether it be the mondo-journalists willing to go to any extreme to get what they want on tape or the audiences who watch their efforts, it's clear that in Cannibal Holocaust's universe we are indeed the monsters. Sure, it's all dealt with in a heavy-handed way, but let's face it, nothing in this film was geared toward subtlety.

Finding a copy of this film is relatively difficult... you're not gonna see it at your local Blockbuster. Bootleg copies abound, as well as a few foreign versions and a laserdisc release. If you want to see this one, you're gonna have to work for it... which is sort of the way it should be. Seeing a film like Cannibal Holocaust is sort of like joining a select club -- only certain fans with the diligence necessary to go to the ends of the earth to find a copy need apply. And when you do find it and see it, you can secretly gloat in the knowledge that you've seen a film that would make the average Scream fan puke.

Ultimately, Cannibal Holocaust is a study in contrasts. Both praised and vilified, it's a powerful film that demands more than a casual viewing. It's a film so filled with images of depravity that after seeing it, you'll never be able to forget it. Fans looking for gore and nothing else would be advised to go elsewhere. Viewers looking for a film that's powerful, visceral, and disturbing have a new title to add to their must-see list. There's something here guaranteed to affect even the most jaded viewer, and for that, I give it an A rating."

http://www.flipsidemovies.com/cannibalholocaust.html

"Last House on the Left" exploitation wise, doesn't make it.

Kevin

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam writes: Just a small point regarding your continued comments on the amount of Ripper related material in Ripperologist: it has always been the aim of the various Editors, from Mark Galloway through Paul Daniel to Paul Begg, that the magazine should encompass not just the Ripper but also East End history and Victoriana. This has been printed on our masthead since the turn of this year.

Tom replies: Yes, I know. You and Chris stick to this story. Paul, on the other hand, states he’d publish wall to wall Ripper material if the submissions and quality could justify it. Since they don’t, he’s had to widen the banner to encompass more subjects, thus generating more submissions. Let’s tell it like it is.

Adam writes: Which other magazines document the history of Petticoat Lane?

Tom replies: Did you not notice that I gave Coral’s piece a rave review and said I hope for more just like it?

Adam writes: Or the fact that 'modern' Dorset Street is about to be built over and will forever be inaccessible?

Tom replies: Yes, this is news, and Ripper-related news at that. What’s your point?

Adam writes: We appreciate that there are some who only want to read Ripper material,

Tom replies: Paul does, at least.

Adam writes: but equally there are others who value this kind of research, which will often go undocumented if not published in our pages.

Tom replies: Adam, are you aware that you’re talking to a longtime subscriber and one of Rip’s most vocal supporters? Are you aware that a large portion of your subscriber base (included those who haven’t renewed) share my opinions? Obviously, you’re a busy man, because it seems to me you’ve only skimmed my writings. I can’t blame you there as I’m incoherent half the time. But you’ve taken me way out of context. My b*tch isn’t that you run non-Ripper articles. I’ve LOVED a lot of those. My b*tch is that these far outweigh the Ripper material. And, despite what your masthead says, the name of the magazine is STILL ‘RIPPEROLOGIST’. I say with a little pimping in the right places, Rip could get the kind of contributorship that would make it possible to have the mag’s content be more balanced, i.e. 75% Ripper research, and 25% East End history.

Adam writes: The next issue (November) marks the 10th anniversary of the first issue of the magazine. We must be doing something right!

Tom replies: Again, bro, I subscribe AND I send you subscribers. Your tone is one that smells of condescension. If you want to publish a magazine, you have to expect feedback, and not all of it will be of the nose-to-behind variety. As for doing something right, you sure are…you’ll be publishing a new article by me (though not in the November issue), and it’ll be a good one, so I want a cover story this time, M’kay? A really good cover, too. My sparkling prose should inspire you to create your masterpiece. As for the November issue, I look forward to reading it and sharing my thoughts with other readers and potential readers. If the quality is there, you have nothing to worry about from me.

Regards
Adam
www.ripperologist.info

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"be more balanced, i.e. 75% Ripper research, and 25% East End history."

Nah, Tom--fifty/fifty, that's balanced. I like the East End history stuff. The whole point of studying the Whitechapel murders is to use it as a vehicle to learn about the East End and the Victorians, IMO. Sure, the mystery's fun and I guess the serial killing/profiling stuff is sexier than the straight history, but you've got to have the history to keep a good context.

That's why I enjoyed Viper's posts so much--he was all about history, not mystery. I'm sure you'll agree with me about that--Viper cleared up a lot of misconceptions simply because he was well-versed in the history of the area.

But I read your review and know that you like the history, too. I sure hope you do, since you're the Future and all (kidding).

Looking forward to your article,
Dave
PS KISS bites it

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

It would appear Tom Slemen WAS misquoted by the people interviewing him, and that is why his quote regarding Kelly came out so asinine. Here's a message he wrote to me on another thread explaining:

By the way Tom, here's the original copy on the piece you quoted (presumably from the local press website):

http://www.geocities.com/tom_slemen/maybrickdiary.html

Only a British editor would change breasts to "body parts". The research is going well, and the writing; I have unearthed some fascinating gems regarding the Ripper - and his friends

Well, there you have it folks. Dan Norder was right, which really sucks, because that means I was wrong (don't tell Howard Brown!). But I'm glad to see that Slemen is not a drooling, raving idiot, though I'm not sure how Paul Begg will take to Slemen's assessment of 'British editors'.

David,

KISS bites?!!! Thems is fightin' words! And you're right, I do like a good piece on local history, and 50/50 would be all right with me. I also agree wholeheartedly regarding Viper (R.I.P.), who will not be forgotten. If I'm the future, it's a darn good thing you're all living in the past! :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've kept out of this so far because mine is one of the "non-Ripper related" articles being debated and it seemed churlish to respond. However I will say this. The Ripper, in my opinion, was a product of his times and his environment. Understanding that environment helps us to understand him.

For example, the way in which society treated Joseph Merrick is highly enlightening regarding that society and its treatment of those with disabilities and disfigurements (we don't know that the Ripper wasn't among them).

Therefore I see articles such as these as adding to our knowledge of the environment in which the Ripper operated and thus, albeit periferally, very much Ripper-related.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really must read this month's edition. I've been so busy, I've barely had time to sit down and relax at all. I'll try to have a look at it tonight.

Ooo, it's all getting to controversial.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying Macromedia flash advert that keeps appearing on the page. I can't shift it, even if I click on it. I hope this isn't just me.
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sarah,
that keeps happening to me too! Its annoying as hell!

Yes you must read it, it's good!
Jenni

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

Again...I'll say it again...I have nothing against well-written, informative, local history articles. My problem is when that's ALL that's being published (along with some seriously boring ones). Seeing as it is, first and foremost, a Ripper magazine, and I'm paying $60 a year for it, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in requesting a fair amount (at least 50%) of worthwhile Ripper research. That has been the whole and the extent of my complaint. I assume you read my review of your article.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

Your opinion has been received and registered. Obviously, we value you as a subscriber, Tom. We appreciate your comments on the contents of our issues. Please be assured we endeavor to please all constituencies among our readership.

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally managed to read this months magazine, although not every single word, as I barely got about an hour to myself last night for the first time in ages. I thought the articles I did read were very interesting, however I do agree with Tom that I would have liked more Ripper articles. I've got to renew my subscription this month. I only hope I remember.

Keep up the good work.

Sarah

BJMarkland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I Spit On Your Grave"

Oh, God!!! They made a movie of the nun's story?

*groan*

Billy

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TOM
paper here baby!!!!!! Not a disc in sight!!!!!

Sarah
S'well worth a read!!!! think us girls should come up with some 'stuff' though......whatd'ya reckon....OK concentrate girls! we've got a lot of things to say I reckon!!! whether it'll be printable of course!..........?
Cheers!

Suzi

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I know you know where I'm coming from, but it was obvious that others thought that I don't appreciate the historical content of the mag. That's not true. Some of the best stuff ever written on the subject appears between the cover of Rip. Just so everyone knows.

Sarah,

Before you forget to renew, do it now online at www.ripperologist.info. I need to renew as well, so let's do it together, M'kay (meaning renew our subscriptions, that is!).

Suzi,

Good idea. Why don't you girls get together and write a piece on the clothing of the day, or whip up some Victorian po' folk food like the victims and cops would have eaten. You know, girls stuff like that. :-)

Billy,

'I Spit On Your Grave' (a.k.a. 'Day of the Woman') was not a horrible film, but certainly not about nuns! (yes, I know you were joking). It was a revenge tale about a woman who got raped and then killed her attackers. Personally, I think 'Last House On The Left' was better and certainly more effective.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Good idea. Why don't you girls get together and write a piece on the clothing of the day, or whip up some Victorian po' folk food like the victims and cops would have eaten. You know, girls stuff like that.

Just guessing here mate but Im reckoning that you're single !

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
spoken like a true feminist!

Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seriously, though, we could do with the feminine angle on here. I have been told that Kelly wouldn't have worn the pilot coat, even if it was raining! Bizarre, but I have to accept it, because women have said so.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seriously, Robert,

you should accept everything women say as the gospel truth!

Jenni

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

What women told you that? I would certainly wear a coat if it was raining, regardless of whether I was out soliciting myself. I don't personally make a habit of this of course.

Tom,

You liked 'Last House on the Left'? I suppose it was ok. It was supposed to be scary though (at least that's how it was advertised) but I just found it gross. Like when the wife bit that man's bit off. Yes you all know what bit I'm talking about. I only saw the uncut version though and still found it gross. I heard what that bloke did to one of the girls and that sounds like I would have been sick (apparently he sliced her up whilst raping her or something). Vomit!

Sarah

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3131
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, it was you!!!! (and Caz).

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Girls!!!!!
Right I feel an article on Victorian Bondage clothing coming on!!!! Can I do the pics please!
Seriously tho(!) How about a cut out of Kate with all the clothing to fit on with little tabs etc!!!!....may take some time but what a beauty 'eh!
I think we could do something like this with a maybe a little recipe at the end........for fish and potatoes maybe!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Joking apart(first time for everything!)
I think we should do something!!!!.....just to show 'em eh?
!

Cheers

Suzi

ARR
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear that Ripperologist no longer has anything to do with the Cloak & Dagger Club, is that right? If so what about subs and club admission. Why the break up between the magazine and the club it represents?

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripperologist has not represented the Cloak and Dagger Club for a year, and is published independently.

Subscription is purely to the magazine, while the Club is open to anyone who wishes to attend. There is no membership fee although there is a nominal door entry charge of 50p minimum.

The Club publishes its own short newsletter. Details on the Club can be found on its beta site, www.cloakanddaggerclub.co.uk

Adam Wood
Ripperologist magazine
www.ripperologist.info

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3147
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cover art, table of contents, and sample article are now available for the Sep 2004 issue of Ripperologist at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2004-09.html

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

I'm sure it wasn't me. I remember Caz said something like that. Hmm, maybe I did. My mind has gone blank. Well, I've had a change of heart then. Ignore what I said.

Suzi,

You should produce some art for the mag maybe?

Sarah

P.S. Don't quite know why I phrased that question to Suzi in such a strange way.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.