Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripperologist issue 54: July 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 54: July 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Cover of forthcoming July issue.

July 2004 Ripperologist

Regards
Adam Wood
Production, Ripperologist magazine
www.ripperologist.info

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
Its here. I haven't read it yet but i just thought I would mention it!
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received the magazine in the mail. Can't wait to read the Ripper Radio piece. I am a great fan of Old Time Radio (OTR) and have always been looking forward to discovering a good article on JTR OTR. Looks like I have to look no further.

Holger

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Holger

Glad to know that you received the issue and feel that you will enjoy Paul Begg's old time Ripper radio article. I hope you do. laugh

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure did. It was the very first article I read. Another OTR episode that Paul may want to listen to is Cabin B13's "London Adventure" from 480705. It is one of those derivatives that is not 100% a JTR story, but very clearly inspired by the crimes.

All the best
Holger

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got mine yesterday. Congrats to all invloved in this valuable addition.

Mags

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: July's issue...

We've got the TOC, cover image and sample article ("Jack the Ripper in Old Time Radio" by Paul Begg) now up on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2004-07.html

Enjoy!

- Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

For those of you out there to cheap to subscribe to the Ripper mags, here's a heads up on the new issue. It's pretty good. Kinda dry like Rip usually is, and full of fluff, but the fluff is actually pretty entertaining and educational in its own right, though not much actual research about Jack in this issue (the exception being Chris Scott's stuff). For those who've always found Albert Backert to be an interesting character, Scott provides a very thorough history of the man. And, as has been the case lately, the most interesting part of the mag is Chris' 'Newspaper Trawl'. You never know what'll pop up in there! Eduardo Zinna wrote an editorial so good they had to print it twice in the issue!
CM Digrazia, who edited Ripper Notes until he got burned out, writes 'The Last Word' - and end page editorial. Proving he's still burned out on the Ripper, he starts this issue's piece with 'This month's column has nothing to do with Jack the Ripper, mainly because I can't think of anything'. Yeah, just what I wanna read in a Ripper mag. Digrazia's an awesome guy, though, and I'm glad he writes for the Rip, because otherwise I'd miss him.
In the book review section there's a review of 'Clara's Grand Tour: Travels with a Rhinoceros in Eighteenth Century Europe'. No kidding, this is an actual book. A human being spent hours of her life writing a book about a long dead Rhino traveling around Europe, crappin' big and lookin' funny. And this book won a prize for historical research. That must speak volumes about the state of historical research these days (cough-Cornwell-cough). There's a bunch of other reviews for books that have absolutely no connection to the Ripper or Whitechapel, but there's also a review of Stewart Evans' new book 'Executioner'. Buy it. There's news, or lackthereof, on upcoming Ripper books.
In the news, we're treated to such useful information as this: '12-year-old Patricia Sanchez, a seventh grade pupil at Norco Intermediate School in California, went to the National History Day in Maryland in June with a nine minute documentary about Jack the Ripper and criminal profiling. Ms Sanchez's project competed against other students' projects from around the United States. The Rip's own Chris George served as an advisor to Ms Sanchez on the making of the film'. Now, what do we learn here? That finally we have a forum for our pre-adolescent children to learn about and discuss knife-wielding whore killers. Long overdue if you ask me. And now, that Chris George has experience working with researchers of a 6th grade mentality, I guess we know who's most qualified to advise Tom Slemen on his upcoming $25 roll of toilet paper..er...book.
There's more 'gotta have it' news like this, along with a picture of Janet Jackson with her tit hanging out. You know, typical Ripper stuff like that.
The article on radio by Paul Begg, and the piece on Vinyl recordings related to the Ripper by Andy Aliffe are interesting, but one gets the feeling that a lot of the chaps being 'Rip' are, like Digrazia, kind of burnt out on the subject, because, aside from Chris Scott's contributions, there's nothing here of any research value.
Having said that, Rip as of late has been delivering, so we'll call this issue a departure. This is the second best Ripper mag at the moment, so I highly recommend all you cheap skates out there do the Paypal thang and subscribe!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

Thank you for this review of our latest issue. I am pleased that you found some valuable items to cite in the issue, including the newly found information on Albert Bachert discovered by Chris Scott.

You end up being a bit scathing, Tom, about our on-going attempt to chronicle mentions of the Ripper in modern culture. This is actually an important program on our part and is something no one else is doing. The quotes that mention the Ripper show how much Jack the Ripper has become an iconic figure in modern life.

The photograph we published in "I Beg" of Janet Jackson was not simply gratuitous, but was used to illustrate a short piece that she has referenced the Ripper in a song on her latest album. As you will know, Michael Jackson has referenced the Ripper several times as well in trying to defend himself from child sexual abuse charges, in an effort to show he is not "Jack the Ripper."

Among the news stories in "I Beg" you noted the documentary on the case by Ms. Sanchez. Tom, you wrote:

"In the news, we're treated to such useful information as this: '12-year-old Patricia Sanchez, a seventh grade pupil at Norco Intermediate School in California, went to the National History Day in Maryland in June with a nine minute documentary about Jack the Ripper and criminal profiling. Ms Sanchez's project competed against other students' projects from around the United States. The Rip's own Chris George served as an advisor to Ms Sanchez on the making of the film'. Now, what do we learn here? That finally we have a forum for our pre-adolescent children to learn about and discuss knife-wielding whore killers."

I don't know whether that last part is meant to be facetious but Stephen's "Casebook: Jack the Ripper" site shows that the Ripper is not a topic for merely prurient interest but represents a subject for scholarly study. I should think that a high school student who wishes to approach the Ripper as a historical subject like any other historical event is worthy of notice.

Quite apart from that I happened to help Ms. Sanchez with her project, the fact that she won a prize for a documentary film about the Ripper is itself remarkable because it shows how the Ripper crimes are being used in school as a way of introducing kids to late Victorian history.

You also cited our review of the book, Clara's Grand Tour: Travels with a Rhinoceros in Eighteenth Century Europe. Might I say that our readership has an interest in off-beat history, and that is the value us telling them of books like Clara. As for it indicating the state of historical research, try researching an obscure story like that and see if it tests your skills enough to be deserving of an award.

One other thing, if Eduardo Zinna's editorial was printed twice in the copy of the issue that you received, it must have been a faulty copy. It only appears once in my copy.

Thanks for your support, Tom, and I am glad that you think the "Rip as of late has been delivering". You might like to know that our November issue will mark our 10th Anniversary of publication, so we are planning some special content on the case to mark the milestone.

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on August 22, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Please! Get real, CG. Of course the photo of Jackson was completely gratuitous. There are approximately 30,000 photos available of Janet Jackson that could have been printed with that piece if it was even necessary to print a photo of her at all, seeing as how there were no other photos of other people who have mentioned JtR printed in the article. It was gratuitous and everyone knows it and trying to palm it off like it was necessary to the piece is even cheaper than printing it in the first place. Tits are tits and who really cares, but don't try to maintain a high academic and scholarly tone while pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Thanks for the response. No need to defend the mag as I was just having fun. The boards here are rather dull these days, so from time to time I like to liven them up a bit while at the same time drawing people's attention to the publications out there that might otherwise escape their notice. You know better than anyone that often there's more useful and entertaining material in an issue of RN or Rip than in the latest $20+ Ripper book. If the worst I can say about your mag is that you fill space with some rather lame news bites and pics, then you're fairing rather well (see my review of the new Ripperana).

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

TomSlemen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom Slemen has noted Tom Westcott's comments.

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and I have noted Ally's comments !!

"Tits are tits and who really cares..."
I do Ally...I do !!!

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom Slemen

How are you doing, Scouser? Please excuse Mr. Wescott's seeming facetiousness. As you see, he was being facetious all round in that post so you were not the only one so treated. We are of course awaiting your upcoming book on Colonel Claude Reignier Conder as a Jack the Ripper suspect with much interest.

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom Westcott [sic] has noted Tom Slemen's notation of Tom Westcott's comments.

Thank you, Chris, for being so diplomatic on my behalf. You are a true gentleman AND a scholar! I was, in fact, being facetious with that post, and just having a bit of fun. I'm a tightwad when it comes to subscribing to mags, and only subscribe to three currently (two on Jack and one on KISS), which means, in my estimation, Ripperologist is one of the three best mags in the world!
As for my remark on Tom Slemen's book, it's not really out of whack with what many others have said. Might even be considered polite in comparison. His notebook should be full at this point. Obviously, since I haven't read the book, I don't KNOW that it's toilet paper. But I have done some research and found that Slemen's a sly devil. I do know he's put a few years into this project, that he's a capable writer, and his book, at the very least, will be a more enjoyable read than many. Will it be a responsible work? That remains to be seen. In the end, the product will speak for itself. I'd still like to know, though, why Slemen tries to pass off D'Onston's Ada/Louise story as an unrelated piece of folklore (after he's changed a few details, of course), when it's nothing of the sort. And then there's his 'Frank Cater' claims. Can't wait to read about those in his book. And yes, I'll be lining Slemen's pockets with my money when his book comes out. Might want to add that to your notes before you send poltergeists my way, Tom. :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.