Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Notes Farewell Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Ripper Notes Farewell « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goodnight and Thank You: A Farewell and a Plea
Christopher-Michael DiGrazia

Since October of 2001, I have had the pleasure of editing Ripper Notes, the premier American journal devoted to serious scholarship concerning the Whitechapel Murders. During the magazine’s existence, ably helmed at first by Christopher T. George, we have had the cream of Ripper authors as interviewees and contributors, we have reviewed some of the best new books on the case and we have featured articles that have challenged received opinion, ignited controversy and set a standard for future writers. It is a record of which I am proud.

At the same time, my tenure as editor since October 2001 has seen me pass more than a decade studying, researching and writing about the bloody deeds of Saucy Jack. I have had the distinct honour of collaborating with two of the finest modern Ripperologists, Dave Yost and Alex Chisholm, in the book The News From Whitechapel, and I am gratified that in my review of the legend surrounding the Lusk Kidney I have been able to contribute in some small way to the scholarship of the murders.

But these past three years have also seen times where I have been concerned about the contents of RN; while many of our issues have been surfeited with riches, at times I felt our pages were thin of material and not the best our Loyal Readership deserved. My peripheral involvement with certain differences of opinion also occasionally found its way to our pages; this has been a disappointment to me, as I have always wished for RN to be an ‘honest broker’ in Ripperology, standing as an independent journal. And while it may not appear that the production of a 30-40-odd page quarterly journal would be unduly taxing, I have increasingly found the labour of RN to be a millstone rather than the joy it used to be. Such an attitude is neither healthy for my frame of mind, nor fair to our subscribers.

The new issue of RN will appear this week. It will also, after much deliberation, be my last full issue as editor. Therefore, Stephen Ryder has graciously allowed me this forum to offer the magazine, gratis, to anyone who is seriously interested in continuing it. I will be happy to discuss the venture through e-mail at rn.editor@verizon.net, and encourage anyone who has enjoyed RN to get in touch with me. Our subscribers are some of the best-known and best-read people in Ripperology who are unfailingly generous with their time and material; I am sure they would be happy to help a new editor through his or her first steps. Once a decision has been made – whether it is to fold RN completely, continue it with a new editor or, perhaps, to fold it into another magazine – I will post it here. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Until that time, and a final farewell, let me simply thank you for your attention, kindness and support. It has been greatly appreciated.

Cordially,
Christopher-Michael DiGrazia
Editor, Ripper Notes

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Christopher-Michael

Well this is indeed sad news that Ripper Notes might have to fold now that you are relinquishing the editorship. I certainly hope that will not be the case. As we have noted in the pages of Ripperologist, "RN" as we like to call it has gone from strength to strength with your good self at the helm, both production-wise and in terms of the material published. I certainly hope some solution can be reached and that a new Editor can be found for this valuable publication. Meanwhile, CM, thanks for all you have done for the Ripper community in publishing the magazine for the past three years.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. We would be remiss if we did not mention that preceding me as editor of Ripper Notes for the beginning two issues before I took the helm for a year (late 1999 to 2000), Sam Gafford was the first editor of the magazine when it began.

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on March 30, 2004)

(Message edited by ChrisG on March 30, 2004)

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 982
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having never read a single copy of any Ripper journal or magazine - apart from that stapled together photo-copied thing in the early days, and I was then but young and impressionable - I personally feel that it is about time that a woman took over the helm of such a difficult ship as this. It is really not good enough anymore that it is men who sit in sole judgement over the cruel murder of women; and I do strongly feel that the feminine influence on such ventures to be fundamental at this particular time in history.
Make no mistake, I offer not myself for glad slaughter as I fit into no comfortable gender, but I should like to see someone of a female persuasion making their mark.
It is about time.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP

I am sure we will take you as Editor of a Ripper mag in either capacity you choose, male or female or in between. Seriously, of course, a female editor of a Ripper publication would be welcome. It all depends on who steps up to the plate.

All the best

Chris

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The person who gets to be the new Editor should maybe consider interviewing me, when my 'A?R' material appears. I'm sure there will be numerous questions on the part of the public, which would stimulate readership.

B. Winkle

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Monty bows at the feet of the Great Master.

One who I feel will one day join ED and Graz in legendary status.

Monty
:-)

PS Its nice to have someone else think what you're thinking isnt it ?

Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....Hold on...rewind....

....does this mean that A?R will finally be unleashed ??

Monty

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

I second Chris Ts suggestion that you take over.

Decision made...

...Congratulations Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Wolf...you have the job.

Monty

PS Respect to CMD.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah sure
you can imagine me arriving for an editorial meeting with bottle of brandy in hand, tartan mini-skirt, fish net tights, and a team of dubious Swiss doctors in tow, attempting to adjust my hormones with injections of lamb's blood...'Jack the Ripper!' they would scream and bolt for the door.
I was an editor. I was a journalist.
I was once even a Jack the Ripper author... I think.
These days I'm just me.
I had to laugh last week when I saw myself described on E-bay as 'one of the foremost experts on the Jack the Ripper case'. I was so overcome with false pride and brandy that I bid on me own book.
No way was I paying a hundred quid for it though.
What planet these people think I fell off?
I got a warehouse full of 'em.
Respect is respect.

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please consider it A.P. I would support you (as an editorial assistant). You're far too great a writing talent to pass up an opportunity like this.

BTW, you never answered a question addressed to you earlier. Are you also known as Barbara Michaels, the author of Egyptian books (novels?) If you are of Russian ancestry, what's your last name? Just curious.

B.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"One who I feel will one day join ED and Graz in legendary status."

>>I have no plans to be permanently banned from this website.

B.

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Christopher-Michael,

I wish to record my appreciation for your tenure as Editor of Ripper Notes and my sincere sorrow that you may be considering the possibility of stepping down from that well-deserved position. I use the word "considering" advisedly, as I hope that you may still change your mind and remain at the helm of possibly the second best magazine devoted to the Whitechapel Murders (I had to phrase this last remark in exactly that way, didn't I?) I believe you are a tad harsh on yourself and that neither your position as an honest broker of Ripperology nor the contents of Ripper Notes can in any way be faulted. So, give it another thought, OK? Would your life be more rewarding or fulfilling without Ripper Notes? Ours certainly wouldn't.

All the best,
Eduardo Zinna

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, AP

Bullwinkle,

Nor would I want you to be. It would be a duller place without you.

AP,

Im imagining it......Im imagining it !!

Monty

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott, you say the nicest things.
I fear that I am far too radical, jocular and outspoken to occupy any position with an implication of seriousness.
I must have missed that question?
Yes, I do have an interest in Egyptology, and have published volumes on the subject, but they are not novels… the novels I have produced are books best left in the gutter as that is where they came from. They are terrible.
No, I have no Russian ancestry, but I once had a great-uncle who was called Stalin if that helps. My mother is Irish and my dear old dad was an East-End cockney, gawd bless him!

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripper Notes is/was the best Ripper mag ever. At least it was the most fun, most consistent in its Ripper-related content, and had two killer editors (both Chrises take a bow!). The idea of Ripper Notes continuing without CMD and, even worse, not at all, is pretty disturbing. That leaves only Ripperologist (which, I must say, has become a MUCH better magazine in the last year!) and Fillerana, which has become a joke (almost as bad a joke as AP's suggestion of RN's future editorship). If Ripperoo still exists, I don't know about it. RN has always been, and always will be, my personal fave. I hope it continues, and if it does, I will lend my full support, both as reader and contributor. Man, just as I get a new comp and come back to the Ripper front, the whole thing looks to be going to pot.
Ripper Notes and CMD rule!!!!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP and Scott sounds like a dynamite combination to me. AP's flair for the colorful and Scott's no-nonsense research on the case are a great dovetail.

Bullwinkle

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If no one presently wants to take up the postition permanatly perhaps someone can take over temporaily (until someone suitable is found) who would not mind doing so for this part time basis (ie any of those mentioned) so as it can keep going.
????
Jennifer D. Pegg

Lil Berdy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry about RN. An arrangement to keep it going is no doubt in the works. News to this effect will most likely be appearing shortly.

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehehe, let me guess a "Lil Berdy" told cha so?

Oh, and David:

">>I have no plans to be permanently banned from this website.

B."

Interesting... Not that it's up to you to begin with, but I would venture to say that there are many who would have no plans of permanently keeping you.

crix0r

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As has been mentioned elsewhere on these boards, I am taking over the editor position of Ripper Notes starting with the upcoming July issue. I plan to honor the proud tradition of the magazine as best I can by keeping the existing writers involved and bringing new ones into the family as well. Anyone reading this who wants to know more about how to go about submitting article ideas can feel free to email me (the name in the signature is now an email link).

If you are interested in seeing what the current status of Ripper Notes is, you can take a look at our new site at www.RipperNotes.com for some sneak previews of what to expect in the next issue. It also has a page with updated subscription information, including new credit card payment links.

I'd like to thank Chris for his trust and for all the great help he's already given. Hopefully I will not let him down, and with any luck he'll be contributing reviews and articles to the magazine for a long time.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan -

Great web site! I'm sure you'll do CMD proud. :-)

I've updated your page at:
http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/rippernotes.html

... to include all your new subscription information, and to officially switch the Editorship line from CMD to yourself.

Best of luck with the upcoming July issue!

Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I just checked out the new site. The cover and logo of the new issue is AWESOME. I hope everyone reading this messageboard will check it out and subscribe online.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.