Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Littlechild and Sims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Littlechild, Chief Inspector John George » Littlechild and Sims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Parkinson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Does anyone know of any research done on the relationship between Sims and Littlechild and specifically why Sims was interested to begin with, with a 'Dr D'? Was Sims possibly investigating a Ripper link to either Dr Morgan Davies or Dr Roslyn D'Onston? The tone of the Littlechild letter leads one to think that this was not their first or last correspondance on the Ripper. Did Sims publish anything on his doctor theories? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert.

I don't know what relationship Sims and Littlechild might have had other than Sims was a journalist interested in crime and Littlechild was an ex Chief Inspector of police. The tone of the ‘Littlechild' letter is somewhat stiff as though the two men weren't close friends and indeed Littlechild's salutation is the formal, "Dear Sir."

It is obvious that you are right that this was not the first piece of correspondence between the two as Littlechild writes "I was pleased to receive your letter...," to which Littlechild is responding to, and "I am just going to inflict one more letter on you on the ‘Ripper' subject." So apparently they had exchanged letters about the Ripper before.

George R. Sims had written extensively on the Ripper murders both at the time and in later years. He dined out on the story that a coffee stall holder had identified a photograph of himself as looking like a blood stained man who drank from his stall in the early morning of the ‘double event.' Till the end of his days Sims wrote how he looked like the Ripper.

In January 1899 Sims began to write articles in which he stated as fact that Jack the Ripper was known to the police, that he was a young doctor who had been found drowned in the Thames. Sims offered this solution to the mystery of the Whitechapel murders till the day he died, (as late as 1917 he wrote in his autobiography My Life: sixty years' recollections of Bohemian London," "His body was found in the Thames after it had been in the river for nearly a month.").

This information obviously comes from Macnaghten's "Memoranda" but Sims' original source was more likely to have come from Major Arthur Griffiths' books Mysteries of Police and Crime. Volume one was printed in 1898 and included a bit about the Ripper that was taken from Macnaghten's original rough draft. It should be noted that Sims began to tell the Druitt story only months after this book hit the stands.

In light of this it is more than likely that the "Dr. D." that Sims and Littlechild were discussing was Montague John Druitt which Macnaghten, and thus Griffiths, erroneously claimed was a doctor. There is some evidence that this is the case in the actual ‘Littlechild letter' itself where Littlechild states at the end "...I knew Major Griffiths for many years. He probably got his information from Anderson who only ‘thought he knew'."

Obviously Sims had asked questions about not only "Dr. D." but about Griffiths and where he got his information from as well. This would indicate Druitt.

Wolf.

Robert Parkinson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wolf that is extremely informative and helpful. It makes sense that the Dr D in question was Druitt. Strange that Littlechild had never heard of the link to Dr Druitt but from the little (no pun) i've read on him he doesn't seem to have had access to the same information as others. Once again thank you for your time and effort in this reply.

Tony Carbone
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about gull...but that juwes message definately had something to do with it in my opinion....and therefore someone who was or studying to be a freemason must of had a hand in the whole thing...I don't care what the experts say...it's just way too coincidental for my liking....Tony the Bone}}

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You seem to be a year or two off on the years of birth for these police officials. Littlechild was born in 1848 not 1847 according to the 1881 Census.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Amateursleuth,

I'm sure you are aware that birthdates given in census returns were not obliged to be accurate.

On what are you basing all your corrections?

Bob

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob:

Thanks for responding to my post. I am basing my corrections on www.familysearch.org

Have a great day

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So not the 1881 census mentioned in your post?

I would suggest that before spending time typing out myriad corrections you actually take a bit of time to ensure that you get your information straight!

Debra J. Arif
Inspector
Username: Dj

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amateur sleuth
Here is some information on the history of census taking in the UK.
http://www.amlwchdata.co.uk/census_history.htm
It explains many of the reasons ages are out on the 1881 census.
People were asked for their age last birthday and not their year of birth, this is something added on the LDS site index to aid your search.

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob:

I would suggest that before you respond to people's posts that you take a bit of time to learn some manners. You really need an anger and stress management course. You indeed have some serious interpersonal issues.

Have a great day

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra:

Thank you very much for that information. Very interesting reading.

A.S.

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AS
This is a joke right?

You plaster the boards with your 'corrections' you accuse a chap like Don Rumbelow of making Abberline into an Opium addict, and then have the gall to announce that not only have you not read Don's book, but you don't even know the method of collecting census information on which you are basing all your corrections!

I found the manner in which you posted your corrections to be offensive in the extreme - you were practically saying that us poor boobs were constantly getting our facts wrong and thank God you were there to put us all right!

I would suggest that if anyone needed a lesson in board etiquette it is you my friend.

As for stress management I have survived, bombs, bullets, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires and burning vehicles and have managed very well thank you.

Bob Hinton

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

i wouldnt worry too much if i were you
Jenni
"Does a 'ton up' on his sleigh? Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?"

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AmateurSleuth-(!)

Before you start correcting board manners- I would suggest you learn a few manners here!!!

There are many people here who have a LOT of things to say......not all of us parrots|!

Suzi

(Squawk!)

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amateur Sleuth --

I would appreciate it if you did not sign your posts with the initials "A.S." as those are my initials as well.

I used to sign my posts merely "Andy" until I realized that Andy Parlour also posts here. Since then I've been "Andy S." to avoid confusion. Would you please do likewise?

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.