Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Watkins route Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Watkins, P.C. Edward » Watkins route « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joe smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was looking at watkins route, I was wondering.
was there any ally ways that were on his beat,
that he did not take. that the ripper could have used. I'm sure that the constable was given a
certain route to take. to take only the streets
and none of the ally ways

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe,

Was there ? I should coco !

Harvey is supposed to have had Church Passage covered. Watkins is supposed to have checked St James passage but not enter it.

The PCs were given beats to keep to. The had to be at a certain place by a certain time on their beat...BUT, apparently they altered the beats during the Ripper scare, for example they reversed the route.

Monty
:-)

PS Check out PC Watkins (along with Harveys) beat in POLICE OFFICIALS.

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty

That throws up a question I have had in the back of my mind for a while, and seeing as you seem to have looked into this maybe you could help.

There are various theories in various books which are based at least in part on the idea that the Ripper had studied the beat times in advance in order to know at which times it would be safe to be in a certain area.

Now we know that Watkins said he could cover his beat in 14 minutes. But surely that 14 minutes could be thrown off for all sorts of reasons, such as stopping to investigate something suspicious or to question a furtive looking person (or even just stopping to take a leak in the urinal in the middle of St James Place!)

So what I am asking is, would it normally be the case that every single night Watkins was supposed to be in Mitre Square at 1.30 and 1.44, or was it simply that he was supposed to be there approximately 14 minutes after the last time he was there, whatever time that might be, unless something happened to hold him up along the way?

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

The long and the short ??

I just dont know. I see your point. I know that the Bobby who found Clay pipe was in the process of checking locked doors ect. I would assume that if Watkins (or whoever) had a similar orders then his estimation in that timing would include such activities.

Obviously I cannot see him being held responsible for not being at a set spot at a set time if something had cropped up on the beat.

I can see (spot checks)working on different levels, if you follow me, both for and against.. One level PC does his rounds, something happens which must be investigated, Sergent who is doing spot checks at a certain point on the PCs beat notices the PC aint where he should be, Sergeant (who knows the beat) tracks the PCs beat and is able to assist.

Works ok, Now if you swap 'something happens' for 'having a fly cuppa' then hows it work?

But going back to your question, Watkins states it takes 14 mins to do his beat. He also states that nothing unusual happended on that night/morning of 29/30/11/88. It is therefore reasonable to assume that if Watkins was in the square at 1.30am & 1.44am that night then he was due to be there at that time most nights.....but not every single night !

Cop out Monty
:-)

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I think I am questioning is the automatic entitlement of the police officers around Mitre Square to be alone for the time it took in an abandoned area at that time of night.Clearly PC Watkins was above suspicion since there are no recorded irregularities of conduct and had he been of unsound mind for example I believe we would know about it as we do for example aboutSupt.Charles Cutbush who later committed suicide but was part of the team enquiring into the murder of Martha Tabram.The fact that we dont know why he was dismissed probably means that his
work was simply not up to standard or that he drank too much or something like that but it would be useful to find out-but how? Natalie.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.