Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Abberline article Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Abberline, Inspector Frederick » Abberline article « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian Parrott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
Does anybody recollect reading an article about Frederick Abberline which gave a little information about his days as a watchmaker?
The article also spoke of a fellow watchmaker,a Prussian man I believe.

Frustratingly,I read this article many years ago and cannot for the life of me remember where.

Can anyone throw any light on this one?

Many thanks.

Ian Parrott

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know the source - the only mention I could find was from a very unlikely source- a quiz about Johnny Depp's career!!
One question and answered listed is:
6. Before his career as an Inspector, what was Abberline's profession?

the A-z does say:
"Frederick woked as a clocksmith before joining the Metropolitan Police in 1863."

Hope this helps
Watchmaker (Was he also a police officer for Metropolitan police?)

Ian Parrott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.
Thanks for the response.

It must be about 20 years since I read this particular article.Unfortunately a can't remember the rest of the details,although I do remember it was quite a lengthy piece.
I don't think the other chap joined the police though.

It looks like I'm going to have to twawl through my collection of old books and yellowing newspaper clippings.

Ian Parrott

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2775
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Knowing how rare the name "Abberline" is, I was a bit startled to read this on the A2A site :

FILES ON INDIVIDUALS
[Access Conditions] FILES ON INDIVIDUALS ARE CLOSED TO CONSULTATION. Permission for access may be obtained from the Director of the Family Welfare Association.

FILE - Abberline, Edward and Lily (case 32932); writers of begging letters; document file and key file - ref. A/FWA/C/D/297/001 - date: 1922-1934
[Access Conditions] CLOSED

I know that Abberline had a brother Edward, but as far as I know there is no mention of a Lily Abberline in the 1901 census. Does anyone know anything about this, please?

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
Edward's wife appears to have been called Ellen. Is Lily a pet version of that name?
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

Not as far as I know. Nelly yes, but surely not Lily?

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.