Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

David Lloyd Geoge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » David Lloyd Geoge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I found a reference to David Lloyd George actually going on the a Ripper hunt with the police. This extract is from a biogrpahy by his son:
My Father, Lloyd George
Book by Earl Lloyd George; Crown Publishers, 1961

and the extract in question reads:

During his early months in London my father had an adventure of which I later was to receive a memorable account. The East End of London was being terrorised by the psychopath killer, Jack the Ripper, and with the same love of action which the young Winston Churchill showed some years later in the Sidney Street 'siege', father volunteered to join a police superintendent in a hunt for the murderer. He joined forces with other colleagues in Aldgate, and they set off to track the dark wilderness of one of the worst slum regions in the world virtually by torchlight--beyond Central London, the street lighting was almost non-existent.
'And did you find any trace of the Ripper? I asked him.
'I found something worse. Something that Dante's pen alone could describe. Within a hundred yards of sanity and civilisation, a million people lived in conditions that gave the Ripper's actions a character of mercy killings. The gin houses; the doss houses; the stinking alleys and the gruesome cellars; the rickety tenements; the disorderly houses and the thieves' dens. This was London, the capital of the greatest Empire the world has ever known, the centre of the richest country in the world. I set out to investigate a crime that night; I found evidence of ten thousand.'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I just noticed this little known event in L.G.'s career. It's an interesting thing that two rather unique individuals (Lloyd George and Bernard Shaw) observed the horrors of that autumn of terror from sideline positions, and actually saw the social horror outside the criminal horror.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.