Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"Up and down the goddam town ..."... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » General Discussion » "Up and down the goddam town ..." « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know anything further about the following example of the Ripper's "sallies in verse", quoted by Donald McCormick, The Identity of Jack the Ripper (1959 edn, p. 83).

'Up and down the goddam town
Policemen try to find me.
But I ain't a chap yet to drown
In drink, or Thames or sea.'

'I've no time now to tell you how
I came to be a killer.
But you should know, as time will show,
That I'm society's pillar.'

Melvin Harris made a strong case that McCormick manufactured another Ripper poem, "Eight little whores", and passed it off as an extract from Dr Dutton's Chronicles of Crime. That poem, with its reference to "Henage Court", served a purpose in McCormick's scheme, as he seems to identify the doctor arrested by PC Spicer in Henage court with his suspect, Dr Pedachenko.

In contrast, no source is given for the poem above (it immediately follows the poem "I'm not a butcher...", extracted from Macnaghten's memoirs), and it seems to play no part in McCormick's scheme.

Chris Phillips

John Ruffels
Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris,
Just looking at the above poem one word strikes me: "goddam": is the author of the poem conveying a sort of music hall Americanism?
And, others might know, doesn't that term have modern usage feel about it?

Chris Scott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
I have never seen any provenance for this verse but two things strike me about it.
1) It seems to be a parody of a well known nursery rhyme - "Pop Goes the Weasel". The full version of this rhyme starts: "Up and down the City Road, In and out The Eagle..."
2) The one thing that gives me serious doubt that it is contemporary with the killings is the reference to drowning in the Thames. This seems an obvious reference to the Druitt suicide. Although we know this was reported in various newspapers in January 1889, there is, as far as I know, no reliable reference to Druitt being seriously considered as a suspect until the MacNaghten document of 1894, and even that was a confidential document kept in police files.
Unless the writer had access to police files before Druitt's identity and suspicions about him were made public in the 1960's, I think this verse has be looked at with a very sceptical eye.

Chris S

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Yes, I agree we should be sceptical about it, particularly in view of the suspicion that McCormick concocted another Ripper poem based on a nursery rhyme.

Really, the reason you give - the reference to drowning in the Thames - was the reason I was interested in its provenance.

I think we do have one significant reference before 1894 - the "West of England" MP's belief in 1891 that the Ripper was the son of a surgeon who had committed suicide (though drowning in the Thames is not mentioned). We also have the story, likewise of dubious provenance, because it comes from McCormick, that Bachert was told in early 1889 that the killer had drowned himself in the Thames.

Chris Phillips

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.