Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The letter before 'Dear Boss' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » General Discussion » The letter before 'Dear Boss' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

A letter was sent to Charles Warren at Scotland Yard, before the Central News Agency received 'Dear Boss'.

This letter, dated September 24, had no stamp on the envelope and written across the top was: 'on her majesterys service'. The postmark was 'LONDON S.E.'. The 34th of Septmember was the closing day of the Chapman inquest. The letter was received by the C.I.D. on the 25th of September. Who wrote this one? With no stamp on it, did the writer mean for it to reach it's recipient?

LEANNE

Brian W. Schoeneman
Detective Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

I'm assuming that this is the one with the little drawings on it that Cornwell says cover some words in it.

I don't know if we can answer your questions. My only guess as to the lack of stamp was that the writer couldn't afford one. But who knows?

B

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Brian,

That's the one!
It read:
'sep 24 1888

Dear Sir
I do wish to give myself up
I am in misery with nightmare
I am the man who committed
all these murders in the last
six months my name is (black silhouette of a coffin, with the words: 'so and so' around it)
I am a slaughterer (the word horse is inserted above slaughterer) and work at (another black box with the word 'name' above it) (then a long black box with the word 'address' above it) I have found the woman I wanted
that is Chapman and I done what
I called slaughtered her but if
anyone comes I will surrender but I
am not going to walk to the station
by myself so I am your truly (another black coffin drawing)

(second page)
keep the Boro road clear
or I might take a
trip up there
(silhouette of a knife, with the words: 'photo of knife' around it)
this is the knife that
I done these murders
with it is a small
handle with a large long
blade sharpe both sides

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Brian,

Patricia Cornwell describes them as little drawings, but they are nothing more than scribbles used to blacken out words.

If the author is confessing to all the murders in the last six months, that would mean that he is confessing to all murders since April. Emma Smith's murder was on the 2nd of April. Would this be an authentic confession? or maybe he just wanted to tease police by blackening out words!

LEANNE PERRY

Brian W. Schoeneman
Detective Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Well, obviously, if he's confessing to "all the murders in the last six months", he's BSing - Emma Smith wasn't a Ripper victim, and Fairy Fay didn't exist. The only two he could be talking about would be Nichol's and Chapman, and since the whole "horse slaughterer" line was dragged through the press in their "advice" to the police, this letter doesn't feel any more authentic than some if its more famous progeny.

B

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Brian,

OK, this letter was hoaxed! Maybe someone didn't like someone who worked on the 'Boro road', and so much for Cornwell's 'little drawings' that suggest that the author was an artist!

LEANNE!

thomas schachner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there,
to give you a better impression about how the letter looked like --> here it is.

greetings from germany.
thomas.

first ripper letter
page1
page 2

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Thomas,

Do they look like drawings to you?

LEANNE

thomas schachner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi leanne,

well...i see a coffin and a knife if my phantasy runs really wild on me..but any artist who draws like this won't get rich. and i think miro is not a ripper suspect .-)
i really believe the letter to be another hoax.

seminephralgic
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,

Nobody seems to have mentioned anything about the very first "Dear Boss"letter.
It is dated 17 september 1888 and appears in John Eddleston's book.

Semi.

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Semi,

Can you please transcribe the text of the letter you are referring to? Here, or you may like to start a new board.

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

September 17 1888, was the day that the Mary Ann Nichols inquest was reopened. It was then adjourned until September 23.

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Semi, Leanne

The letter you refer to is generally regarded as a modern hoax letter, which is why it is not in the book "Letters from Hell". Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner have both seen it and said it looks like it has been written in blue ballpoint! It first appeared in print in Paul Feldmans book "Jack the Ripper The Final Chapter"

The text reads

17th September 1888

Dear Boss
So now they say I am a yid when will
they lern Dear old Boss? You an me Know
the truth dont we. Lusk can look forever
hell never find me but I am rite under his nose all the time. I watch them looking for
me and it gives me fits ha ha I love my work an I shant stop until I get buckled and
even then watch out for your old pal Jacky.

Catch me if you can
Jack the Ripper

Sorry about the blood still from the last one. What a pretty necklace I gave
her.

It appears an amalgamation of the 25th September letter and from hell letter.

Rob17th Sept letter

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I've just started a new board on this letter. Rob, could you please put a picture of it on the new board? I haven't done this yet!...Thanks!

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I've just noticed that I have been promoted to 'Detective Sergeant' by Stephen.

LEANNE PERRY,
DETECTIVE SERGEANT

AVON
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM AMAZED THAT NO-ONE HAS NOTICE THAT THE LETTER DATED THE 17 SEPTEMBER 1888 WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FAKE IS IN THE SAME HANDWRITING AS THE MAYBRICK DIARY .ALSO THE LETTER DATED 6TH SEPT IS IN THE HANDWRITING OF THOMAS BULLING.}}

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.