Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Diary: The Inside Story Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Ripper Diary: The Inside Story « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John P. Shimkonis
Police Constable
Username: Aquavalour

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is relatively a new book, ISBN 0750929545, which introduces even newer communications attributable to the Ripper, said to have been recently found. Is this book worth looking into?

My starting point into this case as far as published books go is "Jack the Ripper: First American Serial Killer", ISBN 1568362579. I'm not sure about some other books on the subject I've seen. They might be a little too off the subject for me.

I never bothered to see the film titled "From Hell", I think it was, which may or may not have stuck with the facts.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

In my opinion, if you're looking for information about the Ripper case, the alleged diary should be something to look into after already having a solid background on the case and not when you are first starting out. Most people don't attribute the Ripper Diary to Jack the Ripper, but there is not solid agreement on whether it is a modern forgery, an old forgery, an old hoax, an old attempt to frame someone for the crimes or the ravings of a deranged, delusional mind.

As far as what other books to recommend, if you liked JtR: FASK you could pick up books by Evans and Skinner. The Ultimate Companion (aka Sourcebook) is about as factual as you can get, but it can be dry. Letters from Hell is colorful and interesting, but focuses on communications that generally aren't attributed to the real killer either, but that's all explained in the book.

And of course there are a variety of other authors who have written good books on the subject. You can always check out the reviews on this website to give you a better idea of how accurate and popular each of them are: Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Ripper media section

The movie From Hell would be fairly strongly on the not sticking to the facts side. The graphic novel series it was based upon is a little more factual, but still pushes some pretty absurd and discredited ideas. Entertaining anyway, but not to be taken seriously.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

John, I always recommend Donald Rumbelow's book on the ripper. It was my first introduction to case 20 years ago and it still stands up well as a factual account of information regarding the case written in an easy to read style.
Scotty.

Shelley Wiltshire
Detective Sergeant
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
Ripper films are entertaining but basically that's all they are, just cleverly written stories ( hey...maybe not so cleverly written after all!).
If you want to start off on a good footing, read Donald Rumbelow's book, Stewart Evans 'The Lodger', Paul Begg, Keith Skinner & Martin Fido...You can't go wrong with these books, also pop down to Richmond Kew in London to the Public Records office, you will be sure to find out facts and not fantasies.
The ripper diary is indeed without a doubt a 'Fake', but i believe it to be a modern forgery because it contains information that was only released in 1987, for 99 years that piece of information about the itinery of Eddowes belongings and clothing had only been kept locked away with the police files, until the police decided to release that piece of information to the public in 1987, but none the less it is a clever piece of forgery as far as i can see there are as many mistakes in the diary, as you can count on one hand.
Regards
Shelley
Criminology Student

Simon Owen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started with Rumbelow as well , but I'd also recommend Andy and Sue Parlour's book ' The Jack the Ripper Whitechapel Murders '.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.