Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Fate of Anne Deary Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » Fate of Anne Deary « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 13, 2005Chris Scott50 6-13-05  6:41 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard & David,

This Ann Stephenson living at Water Buildings Cottingham, it is some three or four miles from were our seed crushing friends lived. In fact it is mid way between Hull and Beverley.

I can find no trace of Water Buildings for the moment.

Rgds
John

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that - the marriage cert should resolve matters one way or the other.
I would rather have seen Thorne than Doncaster as a place of birth, but as far as I can ascertain Thorne comes under North Doncaster. It certainly has a Doncaster postcode.

John, looking at the adjacent census records, Water Buildings must have been in Finkle Street.

David

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

I managed to have a walk down Finkle Street, it is a street of dwelling houses, mostly built about the turn of the century, I could not find Water Buildings, but it looks as though rebuilding has taken place in some parts of the street.

By and large I guess the residents in 1901 would have been tradesmen and the like. Perhaps these people had no direct connection with our Stephensons

Just for clarification,
Doncaster about 10 miles west of Thorne,
Goole about 6 miles east of Thorne,
Hull 25 miles east of Goole.

Rgds
John

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John.

I have now checked and the Ann Stephenson of the right age who died in 1910 in Sculcoates was not D'Onston's wife. Nor was she the Ann Stephenson of Water Buildings, but a different Ann altogether!

David

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Nina Thomas

Here's the information that I have to date on Ann's death.
GAS POISONING AT HAMPSTEAD. At Hampstead Dispensary, Dr. Danford Thomas held an inquest on Ann Stephenson, aged 53 years, and Kate Lydia Lane, aged 13 years, who were poisoned by gas at 96, Broadhurst-gardens. Mrs. Matilda Mackey said that the deceased had been in her employ as cook and housemaid respectively. Ann Stephenson had only been in her employment for a week, and did not thoroughly understand the working of the place, but Kate Lydia Lane had been there ten weeks, and knew the place well. The housemaid went to bed about half-past nine, and the cook followed about eleven, taking with her a safety lamp and a candle. In the morning it was witness’’s habit to have a cup of tea in bed, but as this did not appear she became suspicious, and went to the servants’’ room. On opening the door she was driven back by a strong volume of gas. After this had cleared off a little witness went into the room and flung open the window. It was then discovered that Ann Stephenson was dead, while Lane was in an unconscious condition. Witness had the latter at once removed to a room downstairs, but she died shortly after. By the coroner: The gas was turned full on, but it was an act of disobedience if the servants had done it, as they had been strictly forbidden to do so, the gas bracket not being in proper order, and they had been told never to use it. Mr. E Mackey, a land agent, said that since the fatality he had examined the gas bracket, and found that the stopping which had been put in to prevent the flow of gas had become slightly shifted. A verdict of ““Accidental death”” was returned in both cases.
The following is for the death certificate that I ordered. Anne Stephenson died in the June quarter of 1896 in Hampstead, greater London, Middlesex - Volume 1A, Page 429 - age 55 The age must be an error in transcription as her age was listed as 53 at the inquest. (See attached image) According to the census’’ with the exception of 1891 where the age was obviously off, her age would have been 52 in 1896. However her actual age, according to her birth in Thorne in 1842, would be 53 at the time of her death. She would have turned 54 in Sept. of 1896.

Check this out folks......also from Nina...

One more little item that I discovered, Ann died at 96 Broadhurst-gardens, and at 53 Broadhurst-gardens there lived a Mr. Walter Sickert. Could there have been a connection between RDS & Walter Sickert?

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Chris Scott:

Anne Deary's parents

1861:
The Green, Thorne, Yorkshire
Head: Charles Deary aged 56 born Norwich - Cordwainer
Wife: Frances Deary aged 49 born Tadcaster, Yorks.

1871:
Ellison Street, Thorne, Yorks
Head: Charles Deary aged 66 born Norwich - Cordwainer
Wife: Frances Deary aged 59 born Tadcaster

Death of Charles Deary:
June 1871 aged 66
Thorne Vol 9c Page 373

Possible 1881 sighting of mother:
Chapel lane, Thorne Yorks
Head: Fanny Deary aged 58 (?) born Tadcaster - In receipt of parish relief - Deaf

Death of Fanny Deary:
March 1886 aged 74
Caistor Vol 7a Page 447

Possible siblings of Anne:
1861:
23 Ouse Street, Goole, Yorkshire

Nancy Deary aged 20 born Thorne - general Servant.
In household of Thomas Bromley aged 67 - Wine Merchand and Agent

In that year Anne Deary was a servant to a household in the same street in Goole, that of Robert J Harrison, a joiner and cabinet maker.
She is listed as a general servant, aged 17 born in Thorne.

1871:
In this year, Anne Deary was a servant in the household of Richard Stephenson, Donston's brother, at Willow House, Church Street, Sculcoates.
She is listed as a domestic servant, aged 27 born Thorne.

Also at Sculcoates in that year, at 25 Albion Street, is listed the following:
Sarah Deary aged 24 born Thorne - Cook
She worked in the household of John Dix aged 42, Surgeon, MRCS and LSA

In March 1872, Sarah Deary married Isaac Bateman in Sculcoates.

By 1881, the Batemans were listed as follows:
Clarks Corrages, Marshland Road, Goole, Yorkshire
Head: Isaac bateman aged 35 born Thorne - Shipbuilder
Wife: Sarah Bateman aged 36 born Thorne
Children:
Annie aged 7 born Leeds
James W aged 5 born Leeds
Lewis C aged 3 born Old Goole
Jane aged 10 months born Old Goole

1891:
26 Millon Street, Hook, Yorkshire
Head: Isaac Bateman aged 45 born Thorne - Blacksmith
Wife: Sarah Bateman aged 46 born Thorne
Children:
James W aged 15 - Blacksmith
Lewis C aged 13 - Grocer's errand boy
Gertrude aged 8

1901:
32 Fifth Avenue, Goole, Yorks
Head: Isaac batman (sic) aged 55 born Thorne - Ship and general blacksmith
Wife: Sarah Batman aged 56 born Thorne
Daughter: Gertrude aged 18 born Goole

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina Thomas recently recieved this death certificate for Ann Stephenson, the woman mentioned in the post of July 27th [ see above ].

Is this the mystery woman ?

Comments please.....
death cert.

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and due to size problems with the certificate itself, this is the remainder of the death certificate...

Application no. COL849913

1896 death in Hampstead,County of Londondeath cert 2

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 835
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before anyone goes blind from trying to read this death certificate [ my apologies...] I will put the information in order in another way.

Number-----432

When and Where–April 25, 1896 Broadhurst Gardens

name and surname----Ann Stephenson

Sex-----Female

Age----55

Occupation----Cook [ domestic servant ]

Cause of death----Poisoning by Coal Gas, by escape from burner top , which was not properly turned off...

7 - Signature, description and residence of informant: Certificate received from Geo. Danford Thomas (?) coroner for London inquest held 29th April 1896
8 - When Registered: Thirtieth April 1896
9 - Signature of registrar: Fred V. (Bridges or Bridger) registrar

Sorry about the poor scan jobs...

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 804
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

You need not worry about the question-mark after the name of Danford Thomas. He was a famous London coroner at the turn of the century.
I thought it was an odd, even strange way to die, but if you recall a number of years ago Vitus Gerulaitis the tennis star also died of gas asphyxiation in his home. And, in 1902, the novelist Emile Zola died in his home of coal gas asphyxiation.

Jeff

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 994
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard and Jeffrey,

Apologies for going a little off-topic, but since his name came up Howard, you might find it of interest that George Danford Thomas died while holding the Crippen inquest in 1910. His son, Francis Danford Thomas, was also a famous coroner for the City of London, Samuel Langham's old stomping grounds.

Cheers,
Dave

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 838
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

J.B. and Dave O'

Thanks for these little gems...everything you guys can think of in relation to anything is always beneficial and informative...and always appreciated !

One quick question for both of youse [ or anyone else really...].

Modern gas lines that we in the States have [ I suppose in the U.K. they are the same...I dunno ] are inundated with a chemical that indicate when a gas line is leaking. Natural Gas,as most know,is odorless and simply too risky to have in homes or institutions for cooking,heating,or for any other reason without this chemical....

Did Victorian period gas lines contain this chemical which indicated a leak and alerted the inhabitants of such leakage?

Thanks again for the good info,buddies...

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 995
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I don't know anything about Victorian gas lines, but it appears there was a smell associated with leaks. I had this in my Langham folder.

Times, 22 Jan 1872:

FATAL GAS EXPLOSION.—Mr. Langham held an inquest on Saturday evening, at St. George’s Hospital, on the body of George Johnson, aged 44, gardener to Mr. Hermitage of West-hill, Wandsworth. On the morning of the 7th inst., the housemaid, on going downstairs to the breakfast parlour, noticed a strong smell of gas pervading the whole of the lower part of the premises, and being unable to find out whence it proceeded, called in the deceased to assist her. On his first entering the parlour he felt convinced that the gas was escaping in some portion of that room, which was a very lofty one. He first took the precaution of opening the windows to let out the foul air, and then lit a candle to find out the leakage. He got upon a table and placed the lighted candle close to a large chandelier in the centre of the room, when a terrific explosion ensued, blowing out the windows and breaking nearly the whole of the furniture in the room. The housemaid was thrown violently to the ground, and was severely bruised about the body and rendered insensible. The noise of the explosion brought the other servants into the room, when they found the deceased lying insensible upon the floor, and the whole of his clothing in flames. The flames having been extinguished, a medical man was at once sent for, who, on arriving, found the deceased was frightfully burnt all over his body, and advised his immediate removal to the hospital. He was taken there and remained under treatment until Thursday last, when he expired from exhaustion and shock to the system consequent upon the inquiries he had received. His case was considered hopeless from the first. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death.”

I'm sure there are others who know more about it, but coroners' inquests would be a good source for learning more. I'm sure there are some other cases where there was an explosion with a coroner's jury investigating cause and detection in the interest of the public safety.

Hope that helps,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on August 21, 2005)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to say that carbon monoxide is odourless and people still die from faulty appliances.

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

I tend to think that the 19th Century did not use colorless gas systems. But don't quote me on that, as I have no real background in this area.

Jeff

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert Chazz and J.B.

Thats what I would think too.... What a terrible way to die....She probably never knew what hit her.

Dave O'...

Thank you for providing that story. That reminds me of a time when I shared a house with a couple of guys back in the mid-70's. I went out with my girlfriend to shop for a few hours,while my pals were bringing motorcycles in the back of the big house to work on them. One dude tried to light a cigarette off of an old unused stove in the cellar and didn't close the handle. Hours later,I came home with the chick and I could smell the gas from the front door standing outside. I didn't even try to enter,instead calling the Gas Works from a bar phone. I got stuck with the repair bill and fined for using a flexible hose line [ illegal in Philly ] on a gas appliance.

Those buddies of mine were gasholes.

(Message edited by howard on August 21, 2005)

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Coal Gas, which was used in the UK up until the 1970's allways had a definite odour, which I presume was a natural smell, but if someone were to fall asleep whilst the gas was leaking they may not have woken up in time.

Rgds
John

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John....I just realized that it says clearly on the death cert. that it was coal gas and no other type of gas.

I should have asked about that in the first place.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Regards,
How

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.