Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Assault charge June 1889 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Tumblety, Francis » Assault charge June 1889 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After Tumblety fled back to the US in December 1888, all appeared to go quiet for a while. However, I found today a short article referring to a court appearance by Dr. T in June 1889 on a charge of assaulting one George Davis on June4 of that year. Whether this assault was of the type for which he was arrested in London (i.e. sexual in nature) or of another type is not made clear. I have yet to find what the outcome of the case was.
The article is from the Decatur Saturday Herald dated 29 June 1889:

tumbcharge1889

(Message edited by Chris on February 05, 2004)

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting Chris, can't wait for you to find out more, I know you will. You never stop digging until you get to the bottom of it!

Mikey

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good work Chris!!

Perhaps we should come up with a title or slogan for you? :-)

What about...

"Chris Scott: Laying the smack down on historical records, so you don't have too"

or

"Chris Scott: He aint lyin', he does his homework. He's keeping it real like a spray'd snow tree"

Then of course...

"Chris Scott: When it comes to fact finding.. he's got more game that Tiger or Jordan"

And perhaps my personal favorite..

"Chris Scott: Historical Pimp. When you absolutely, positively must know everything there is to know in the historical records, accept no substitute"

Of course, my patch just kicked in and I could be rambling because of the massive amount of nicotine just released into my blood stream :-)

Like Michael, I eagerly await a follow up.

crix0r

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tumblety assaulted Davis with a cane, and was himself injured. It was a street confrontation. Tumblety's defense was that Davis had attempted to steal his watch, but there was no charge against Davis. Sorry if I'm a bit circumspect, but I've spent a fair amount of time researching Tumblety's later years, and am keeping some new information back for a future publication. RP

Wolf Vanderlinden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not so new information.

"The Herb Doctor was not to stay hidden for long as Tumblety reappeared in New York City in late Spring of 1889 and once more found himself in trouble with the law. He was indicted for assaulting one George Davis with his cane on 4 June. When his trial in Part 2, General Sessions, New York came up on 24 June the doctor was nowhere to be found having once more skipped bail and fled leaving his banker, Henry Clews, who had posted the bail, out $300." #

"# Henry Clews & Co. of New York remained Tumblety's bankers till the day that he died and for a time was one of the executors of his estate. See George, Christopher. The Cardinal and the Ripper Suspect, Ripperologist Issue 21, February, 1999."

A short paragraph and footnote from Part III of my article on the Carrie Brown murder which looks at some of the suspects. Part III will be published in this April's edition of Ripper Notes.

Wolf.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This must mean either that the NYPD didn't know of SY's interest in Tumblety or that SY had lost interest by June 1889. Otherwise, NYPD would have notified SY of T's whereabouts and possibly held him.

Andy S.

Wolf Vanderlinden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy.

The NYPD certainly did know of Scotland Yard's interest in Tumblety but they would not have held him or turned him over to Britain. The "nominal offence," as Chief Inspector Byrnes called it, (i.e. the gross indecency and indecent assault charge), was not extraditable. In effect it was too piffling for Byrnes to care about.

Wolf.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.