Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Prince Eddy , childhood photographs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Albert Victor, Prince » Prince Eddy , childhood photographs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

I have come across a book from 1935 on the Jubilee of Prince Eddy's brother, King George. I found the book at an antique store and I was interested to know whether or not I should purchase it and if so, how much I should offer. It was called THE KING'S JUBILEE-1910-1935, and was full of amazing pictures of Eddy as a toddler, with his brother and sisters, with Queen Victoria, as a boy, as a teenager and so on.

I need to know if these pictures and the book are rare or rather often seen in The Empire.

Looking at this young boys dull, languid eyes and knowing that many people believe that he was somehow involved in the JTR mystery is interesting to say the least. I would be happy to upload some pictures (while giving the proper aknowledgements of course) if it is worth buying the book.

I noticed that even as a young boy Eddy resembled poor old M.J. Druitt and since I believe Druitt was the near contemporary favorite suspect, even though I feel he played no role in the mystery, I found myself questioning as to whether or not the resemblance may have had something to do with the association between JTR and "the highest in the land', as I have heard it expressed in popular folklore

The book also has, as might be expected, more than a picture or two of May of Teck, later Queen Mary at various stages of her life. Of course she was intended to be wed to Eddy after he became The Duke but she was not the first choice. The Duke objected so strenuously to the original choice because of her appearance that Queen Victoria eventually agreed that this poor soul was "not regularly pretty' and the beautiful May of Teck was chosen. Of course it was whispered in royal circles that Eddy would have just as easily preferred a beautiful young man.

Queen Mary was an interesting woman and it is not commonly known that she had a habit of taking things from stores and other peoples homes without paying or asking permission. The problem got to be so bad that she was eventually followed around by an 'underling' who took care of the renumeration or replacement of the items. If I did this I quess I would be a kleptomaniac, but according to my mother, "such a term cannot be used where the the Royals are involved".

Oh well, any help involving the book would be greatly appreciated. I hope to check into the boards again soon.

All The Best
Gary

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary:

Is this the book by Sir Philip Gibbs, published by Hutchinson & Co., London, 1935? If so, there are a number of copies available through the used booksellers network, ABE Books, ranging from $3.52 to $40.00 in price, depending on condition. It would thus not appear to be a rare title.

By the way, I do notice that a bookseller in Wichita, Kansas, is offering on ABE is offering for $95.00:

Theo Aronson. Prince Eddy and the Homosexual Underworld. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1994, 1997. 8vo 246-pg. ill paperback with minor cover wear, but overall in G condition with index.

Outside back cover excerpts: "In 1970 an article in an obscure British journal made the startling claim that the notorious mass-murderer, Jack the Ripper, had been none other than Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Victor Albert, Heir Presumptive to the British throne. Although this theory was eventually dismissed, rumors about the long-forgotten prince - always known as Eddy - began to gather force. Out of a welter of conjecture, there emerged one accusation that cannot be dismissed: the story of Prince Eddy's alleged involvement in the Cleveland Street Scandal, the notorious homosexual brothel case. The uncovering of this brothel in 1889 led to an extraordinary cover-up by the British government. Such a cover-up is explicable only in the light of Prince Eddy's involvement. Working from original sources, including the files of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Theo Aronson has written the first full account of the strange life of Prince Eddy, placing him within the astonishingly active homosexual underworld of late Victorian England. Aronson explores Eddy's upbringing, his university and military careers, his alleged 'secret marriage,' his links to the Ripper murders, his early death, and, above all, the issue of his sexual orientation. 'Prince Eddy..presents Victorian male homosexuality as a vibrant folk culture, one that pervaded all official institutions. Students of the erotic will love this book, and so will royal-watchers..'".

Best regards

Chris George

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary, did you get my email?

Robert

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks for the information, you have the right book. It is in royal purple color/colour and has some staining on the cover, otherwise it is in nice condition. I would say a poor cover and ex+ inside. There is a beautiful silver embossed print of the royal couple in the center. I called the dealer and he wants $95.00 so I will look elsewhere. He is a millionaire whom I have dealt with for a long time in the business, so I doubt he needs the money enough to cut the price as low as you indicate unless he does it as a personal favor/favour to me. He may be willing to trade for some vintage sports or entertainment memorabilia I have that he can retail.

Aronson's book is fetching $95.00 in good condition? I paid cover price for mine and it is in mint condition. It was worth the strange look the salesgirl gave me when she rang up the sale. It may be rare as I have been asked to find another one and I have not come across one until the one you just mentioned.

Hi Robert

Nice to hear from you. I just read my e-mail as we have been at the beach for a week. (A week of dismal weather) I will follow up your lead in my impossible quest for a complete collection of all JTR books published in English after 1900.

All The Best
Gary

BAPearce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello I don't suppose anyone has a spare copy of this book.It sounds very good.I have seen some childhood photos of Eddy but not very many.Queen Victoria very much wanted Eddy to marry Alix of Hesse but she would not have himher heart was elsewhere. I have read about May(Q Mary)'s "shopping" trips aparently the dealers got wise and started putting out the less valuable stuffSo May got conned.She also got a lot of the Romanov jewels at "bargin" price.She really hated paying for things naughty

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I am still working on trying to get the book and if I can get it I will upload some pictures I have never seen in any of the books.

As for poor May, she would have been Eddy's intellectual equal. To paraphrase a quote by a member of the government. "Talking to her was like talking to a blank wall. She would just stare at you and be unable to come up with a response" The poor woman probably had some serious prooblems which could not be identified during her era.

Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Royal Watchers

Here is another quote. This one exact." The court diarist...noted that having a conversation with her(Queen Mary) was like "talking to St Pauls Cathedral." Prime Minister Asquith agreed: making conversation with her, he complained, was much harder work than a debate in the House Of Commons" ROYAL BABYLON, The Alarming History of European Royalty; Karl Shaw (Broadway, 1999-2001)

All The Best
Gary

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grandmummy Dearest!!!--

Queen Victoria

This equestrian statue of Queen Victoria may be seen in Liverpool directly in front of St. George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool. The building is currently under wraps, like a birthday gift, ready for Liverpool being spruced up as the European Capital of Culture 2008. A huge "painting" of the Mona Lisa with John Lennon's face and holding a guitar may be seen partially behind Victoria and horse--look down by the horse's legs. As stated in the blurb accompanying the photograph, "This bronze statue was commissioned by Liverpool Town Council and unveiled by the Mayor of Liverpool, Alderman Joseph Hubback, in 1870. The sculptor was Thomas Thornycroft." Yes, indeed, the Thornycroft family, besides making torpedos and torpedo destroyers at their factory at Chiswick on the Thames, off which the sodden body of Ripper suspect Montague John Druitt was recovered at the end of 1888, produced a number of sculptors, of whom one was Thomas Thornycroft (1815-1885), father of Sir James Thornycroft, the military boatbuilder and engineer. That's a six degrees of separation Ripper connection to Liverpool I missed in writing of the 'Pool's connections to the Ripper case in the latest issue of Ripperologist! laugh

All the best

Chris

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Chris,

Is that the same Thornycroft who built lorries in Basinstoke?

Cheers, Mark

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,
The lorry builder and the shipbuilder were both part of the same company. However in later years I think the lorry building division was split into a seperate company.

By the way, if I remember correctly, Thorneycrofts also built small vessels at Southampton.

Regards,
John Savage

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mark:

John is correct. Sir John Thornycroft started off building steam gunboats or torpedo destroyers along with steam vehicles to run on land. He sold off the land vehicle part of his enterprise in the early 1900's when it became obvious that the petrol internal combustion engine was going to outstrip steam as the method of propulsion for land vehicles.

All the best

Chris

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you gentlemen. I know Thorneycrofts (the lorry builders) fell into the evil grip of British Leyland and that was that. There is an interesting display at the Milestones Museum at Basingstoke.

Cheers, Mark

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Princess (later Queen) Alexandra was a keen photographer. I used to have a copy of a book of her photographs issued for charity c1910 I think. It has pictures taken on holiday aboard the Royal Yacht which incklude the late King Olav of Norway as a child.

I assume that Royal archives contain many private pictures of her family taken by Princess Alexandra and including Eddy.

Edward, Prince of Wales (POW) and his family were very close. Eddy was very close indeed to his mother (on the day of his brother George V's coronation, in 1911, the dowager Queen, spent the day at home sobing, "It should have been Eddy", over and over).

Eddy, his mother and his sisters were given to wild romps and practical jokes and much giggling. PAV's dwafness does not seem to have affected him so much - maybe he was more relaxed.

Interestingly, George V and Queen Mary had one son (their youngest, Prince John) who was epileptic. Whether there was a medical condition running through the family at that time, I do not know.

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.