Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Tracking the Anderson Suspect Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kosminski, Aaron » Tracking the Anderson Suspect « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to submit the following for consideration, from the 1891 UK Census.

County: London
Parish: The Old Artillery Ground
ED: 19
Eccl. Parish: Spitalfields St Marys

Piece: RG 12/273
Folio: 116
Page: 35

Koshminski, Phillip
Occ: Boot and Shoe Maker
Born: Poland

[Unfortunately, the name of the street is illegible. As far as I can reckon, The Old Artillary Ground was the area to the south end of Middlesex Street, towards Spital Square. A very interesting location. A workhouse is nearby.]

Mr. Koshminski's children were born in London, which should put him in the 1881 Census. Regards, RP

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By going forward and back a few census sheets, I'm pretty sure the name of the street is Cross Street
I cannot as yet find any trace of any family member in 1881 census
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ
After some more digging around, the street where Koshminski lived in 1891 was Gun Street
CS

Scott Nelson
Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check Film # 1341101, piece 0461, folio 102, p. 28 for this family in the 1881 census (Surname spelled "Kosminskia")

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some old notes on (I think) this Philip, giving some details from 1881:

Philip [?]Kosminskia, 26, Poland, Russia in 1881, St Georges St
(wife Dina, 28, Poland, Russia,
son Moris, 3,
Leah 10m, both Wapping, Middlesex)

And a note that in 1891 he was:
33, Poland in 1891, Gun St
(wife Dina 34, Poland,
son Moris, 13,
Leah, 11,
Becky, 8,
Harry, 5, all London)

The 1891 details must have been posted on the old boards, I think.

Chris Phillips

R.J. Palmer
Inspector

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, gentlemen. A reinvention of the wheel, I guess.

I was just re-reading Scott Nelson's interesting dissertation on Kosminski. It's perhaps worth remembering that once upon a time Pizer was considered Anderson's suspect, and Violena the witness. Howells & Skinner wrote about is as if it was a certainly; alas, only a year later the Swanson marginalia turned up.
There's something that still troubles me about Macnaghten stating that Kosminski was 'removed' around March 1888. It's commonplace to make mistakes about dates, of course. On the other hand, not only is Macnaghten only writing three years after the alleged identification, but--inconceivably---he dates the events to a time before he was even at Scotland Yard (!) This is very strange stuff, imho. The events of those years must have been burned his mind. He was snubbed by Warren. Then, drama of dramas, Warren falls from grace at the height of the Ripper scare. In a stroke of revenge, Macnaghten is hired by Monro in late Spring. If Sir Mel is indeed talking about the same suspect as Swanson (and it certainly appears that he is!) how could he have made such a remarkable blunder?

P.S. It's funny how Dina only ages 7 years between 1881 and 1891. I've noticed this strange phenomenon before. No doubt she will be 39 in 1901.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RJ,

What about lies? Maybe Sir Mel was lied to. That's one of my pet peeves and diss-offs about classic, mainstream Ripperology. Lies are seemingly never considered. What if there may not be lies all through the case evidence?

Let's learn to ride the case bareback and naked, and see how it feels.

Point to ponder, food for thought, question is the answer.

Saddam

R.J. Palmer
Inspector

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam--I'm not exactly sure where you're going, but I have a hunch or two. There is some historic precedent from which one might argue that the identification of the Jewish suspect was part of a covert operation... Anderson did engage in secret dealings with Le Caron, for instance. We also have a remarkable instance of Sir Charles Warren telling the Home Office that he would be willing to engage in illegal activities as long as someone else took the heat. Also, the Swanson marginalia on the surface seems to describe something extraordinary--perhaps Anderson's answer to the French system (?). Yes, a lie, or a covert operation might explain why Macnaghten thinks a 1891 event took place in 1889. The weakness of any conspiracy theory, though, is the weakness of all conspiracy theories. Loose lips sink ships, and people love to talk. What if Swanson & Macnaghten compared notes? And if secrecy was at a premium, why did Anderson blab to the press? Or is that a lie, too? (The road to madness) Let me ask, is it your contention that Anderson resorted to extraordinary means, and that these means somehow went hay-wire?

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam,

I like you.

You remind me of a seance I once went to.

Keep it up.

Monty
:-)

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...Let me ask, is it your contention that Anderson resorted to extraordinary means, and that these means somehow went hay-wire?"

>>Yes.

Copyright David M. Radka, 2003

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.