Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Photographs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Deeming, Frederick » New Photographs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some new photographs of Deeming and his family, courtesy of John Godl. They're a bit small, sorry. :-)

Deeming as Baron SwanstonFrederick DeemingDeeming's Child (1)Deeming's Child (2)Emily Mathers
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Glenn L Andersson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting pictures indeed, Stephen. Thanks a lot.
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

thomas schachner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello there,

maybe those are new, maybe not.
well..here they are!

thomas.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Stephen, the second photograph you included of
Deeming, glaring at the camera, is from the O'Sullivan biography A MOST UNIQUE RUFFIAN (as is
the top - hatted, elegant Deeming that preceeds
it). As I remember, the mustache was drawn in, as
was the beard, because Deeming purposely shaved off his facial hair with a piece of broken glass on the train back to Melbourne, while in police
custody. This was to make possible identification
more difficult. Interestingly enough, when Neill
Cream was awaiting his police hearing and later his trial, he purposely let his beard grow to make his identification difficult too. Whether
Cream got his idea from Deeming's example or from
other criminals I can't say.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I knew I'd seen that second picture too recently, but I never read the aforementioned book. After a brief search, it turns out that all of the pictures shown in Stephen Ryder's first post above are to be found at www.crimelibrary.com (the piece on Deeming)

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently found a long illustrated article in the Williamsport Sunday Grit of 24 April 1892 and as some of the illustrations were of Deeming and his family I am posting them so you can compare with the photos above. I'll be posting full article when done.
Chris

d1
d2
d3
d4
d5

Julian Rosenthal
Sergeant
Username: Jules

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day everyone,

There's also a booklet called 'Albany's Brush With A Mass Murderer' written by Beth Martin. It's got some great pics and background into Deeming and his other alias's.

Deeming's my 'pet' topic at the moment, so if you wanna have a yarn I'm here:-)

Jules

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"On the twenty-first of May,
"Frederick Deeming passed away;
"On the scaffold he did say-
" 'Ta-ra-da-boom-di-ay!'"
" 'Ta-ra-da-boom-di-ay!'"
"This is a happy day,
"An East End holiday,
"The Ripper's gone away".

Sorry if this is already posted on some Deeming thread I have not seen.
I believe this is one of the street ballads published in books and articles about Deeming
and his alleged connection with the Ripper murders.
Coo-ee Julian!

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if you will all have seen this so I thought I'd post anyway:-)
This document (which by context can probably be dated to some time in 1892) compares the handwriting of Deeming and the Dear Boss letter. The small commentary below reads as follows:
As the impression is gaining ground that the perpetrator of the Windsor and Rainhill atrocities is identical with the fiend known as "Jack the Ripper", who perpetrated the terrible murders and mutilations of females in the East End of London some years ago, a comparison (of) what is undoubtedly the writing of Williams with a specimen believed to be "Jack the Ripper's" cannot fail to be valuable and interesting. "Jack the Ripper's" production was received by the London police the day after it was dated. It will be noticed that though this seems to more carefully written than Williams's, there is still a strong resemblance to be detected here and there. Allowance must also be made for the fact that over three years elapsed between the dates of the two documents and some change might easily take place in a man's handwriting in that time. Possible also "Jack the Ripper" attempted some sort of disguise, and this would account for the evident care with which he wrote.
"Jack the Ripper" wrote in red ink and his letter bore the London E.C. post mark

deemrip

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I refer you to Jonathan Goodman's book, BLOODY
VERSICLES: THE RHYMES OF CRIME (Kent, Ohio, &
London, England: Kent University Press, c. 1993).
On pages 13 - 16 he deals with Deeming. Here are some choice bits:

Like a tinker, like a tailor,
Like a long and lathy draper,
Like a murderer full of scheming,
Big and brawny, small and slim!

Like a weather-beaten sailor!
Every illustrated paper
Had a different kind of Deeming,
But they all could swear to him.

or this one,

By the churches and the chapels
Where the saints in glory sing,
Sure as God made little apples,
F.B.D. has got to swing.

The Deeming Case is from 1892, so Ta-ra-ra-Boom-De-Ay! was the popular tune of that day. Soon
the Deeming doggeral that John Ruffels just republished above on this thread was replaced by
a more imperishable quadrain, for another grisley
killing of 1892:

Lizzie Borden took an axe,
and gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
she gave her father forty-one!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is an illustration and short article from the Helena Weekly Journal (Montana) of 12 May 1892
Chris

deemjck

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully in a short time, a police photograph of the actual crime scene.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5407
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here we go, AP.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert, much appreciated.
Them police sure make a mess of your kitchen when they are looking for a body.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A.P.

Actually, it was bodies - Deeming buried his wife and children under the kitchen floor.

That is, if this is from Rainhill. If it is from Melbourne than it would be only one body.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.