Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sadler, James Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Sadler, James « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JAMES SADLER

As I posted on the old boards, I did a search for James Sadler and posted details of the one I identified as being our man. For those who didn't see these details, they are as follows:

1881 CENSUS:
James Sadler
Born 1841 in Ipswich, Suffolk
Aged 40 at the time of census
Fireman on the "Adelaide" at Harwich St. Nicholas, Essex

Although I have as yet been unable to trace this individual in the 1891 or 1901 census, I have found out a little more about him and his immediate family.

In March 1870 a marriage was registered in Ipswich between Charlotte Cadman and James Sadler.
Charlotte Sadler (née Cadman) was found in the 1881 and 1901 censuses as follows:

1881 CENSUS:
17 Daniel Street, Harwich St. Nicholas, Essex
Charlotte Sadler aged 39
Born 1842 in Wickham Market, Suffolk
Mariner's Wife
Children:
Albert Sadler
Aged 8 born at Ipswich

1901 CENSUS
71 Stoke Street, Ipswich
Boarder:
Charlotte Sadler aged 59
Born in Wickham market, Suffolk
Monthly Nurse (Private)

Also in the 1901 Census I have traced James' son Albert:
21 Hamilton Street, Ramsey, Essex
Head:
Albert W Sadler
Aged 28 born in Ipswich
Staionary Boiler Stoker
Wife:
Annie Sadler
Aged 28 born in Bildeston, Suffolk
Children:
William J aged 3
Arthur A aged 1
Both children born in Dovercourt, Essex.

I have yet to trace any family member in the 1891 census but will post details as and when I find them
Chris S

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
i know i have heard of him but remind me again as my memory does not serve me well on this one
jp

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, Sadler was a suspect for the Frances Coles murder. He was charged, but the case was dropped.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks i knew i'd heard of him. i couldn't place it and my room is in the process of being tidied!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Sadler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am James Sadler.. It wasnt me!!!! But perhaps an ancestor? Colchester Essex, which is very close to Ipswich

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 5:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies for joining this thread two years late (!) but I don't think the Ipswich James Sadler is the right man.

In the 1881 census James T Sadler (b Stepney c1839) is listed living at 95 New Rd, Whitechapel with his wife Sarah M and daughters Ruth and Daisy. His occupation is shown as Dock Labourer.

In 1891 he is at the Victoria Home, his occupation shown as Marine Fireman.

His wife and daughters are living at 3 Skinner St, Chatham.

David

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for my own amusement I have been once again reading through trial and police transcripts concerning Sadler and would like to share a few oddities.

Sadler was employed at a Tea Warehouse in Houndsditch, he left that employment on the 26th July 1888 to disappear for almost two months until he returned to the employment on the 15th October 1888 where he stayed until March 1889.
He was employed on a vessel between 17th August 1888 and 2nd October 1888, most likely the ‘Fez’, but judging by the frequency of his discharges from this vessel it is likely that the vessel did not venture far abroad.
Just interesting that his leaving and returning to the work at the Tea Warehouse do match the critical street killing period of the Whitechapel Murderer.

Sadler was resident in three addresses of interest.
Buck’s Row, and then for a time at 36 Hurley Road, Kennington.
And as David points out above, it appears at the time of his arrest for murder he was actually staying at the same Victoria Home as our old friend George Hutchinson.

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the Kearley and Tonge warehouses outside which both Nichols and Eddowes were found tea warehouses?

Scott Nelson
Inspector
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other notables who resided at one time or another at the Victoria Home, Commercial Street: William Turner (Tabram's partner), Daniel Barnett (brother of Joseph) and Joseph Fleming (James Evans.) Any others?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, not just tea warehouses, Diana, they were more like general warehouses where much was stored and shifted, but tea was the prime motive.
Kearley & Tonge were big time, but even in 1888 Brooke Bond had moved into the Whitechapel Road.

Nicely done, Scott, I didn't realise that lodging houses where you couldn't get drunk and murder unfortunates were so popular amongst the men of Whitechapel.

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 829
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In several of the police reports regarding Sadler's arrest, the address of the Victoria Home is given as No. 40 Upper East Smithfield. This was not the same Victoria Home as the one in Commercial Street, and was also often known as "The Seaman's Home" as it was close to the London Docks and often frequented by sailors.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Alan.
There were several Victoria Home's in the area so confusion is bound to arise.
I didn't realise that one was a Seaman's Home though, and I had tracked Sadler's movements through Whitechapel on that night, and it certainly seemed like he knocked on the door of a Victoria Home in the Commercial Street area and was refused entry because he was drunk.
Perhaps I'm confused?
Anyway what kind of Seaman's Home would refuse a drunken seaman admission?
All the beds would be empty.

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 830
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In his own statement he says:

I then went to the Victoria Lod: Ho: in East Smithfield and applied for a bed but was refused as I was so drunk, by the night porter, a stout fat man.

So it seems that this was the Victoria Lodging House he was refused entry to. On the other hand earlier in his statement he states that the first time he met Francis Coles on the 11th he went to the Victoria Lodging House at 8.30, then left and went to the Princess Alice between 8.30 and 9.00. The Princess Alice would obviously have been very close to the other Victoria Home (almost directly across the road if I have my bearings right), so I suspect that this might be where the confusion as to which lodging house it was comes from.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.