Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

General Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Tumblety, Francis » General « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 05, 2003Jeffrey Bloomfied25 8-05-03  11:32 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jeff:

Hmmmm, don't remember that line, Jeff, or even, "When I leave this saloon, I will give birth to the second half of the nineteenth century!" laugh

As I recall, the lines of the play called for the actor playing Booth to recite from Shakespeare's Richard III and other at-length speeches. Luckily, I had glasses to polish, takings to count, and customers to serve while Booth droned on. smile

All the best

Chris

R.J. Palmer
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff--It's probably been a few years since you've read Roscoe. Actually, he does mention Dr. Tumblety (see p. 301-302). There's a letter concerning Dr. T's arrest during the assassination investigation in the National Achives. Roscoe found it, and ponders at some length what it all might mean. Cheers. RP

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

The line I quoted (or mangled) was supposedly actually said by Booth as he left Taltavul's to
go to the theatre that night. According to Jim
Bishop, another drinker in the bar yelled at Booth
something to the effect that he would never be the
actor his father (Junius Brutus Booth Sr.) had been, to which Booth made his retort. It's a good
curtain line, and should have been in the play.

[By the way, Wilkes actually did take a stab at
being a playwrite. One of his hit roles was in
a play called THE MARBLE HEART, where he played
an egocentric sculptor. He helped write that one.]

Hi RJ

I read the Roscoe book about 1970, and have not seen a copy since. The Flushing branch of the Public Library had a copy, which has long since been discarded. I haven't found a copy available at the Strand or other second-hand book shops since then. Pity, it was a good book. Until I
saw the photos of the victims of Jack the Ripper,
I always thought the most grotesque photo (connected to a crime) that I ever viewed was
in the Roscoe book - the one of the mummified
corpse of one David E. George of Enid, Oklahoma
(d.1903)who was shown around the country by one
Finis Bates as the dead John Wilkes Booth. Bates
had the hair and mustache of the dead George combed and trimmed to resemble a photo of Booth.

Sorry I had forgotten that Tumblety was mentioned in the Roscoe book...at least I remembered Captain
Celestina.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jeff, I don't recall that line in the play I was in but the playwright must have used it!

All, I am not sure that we were aware that Dr. Tumblety's 1872 pamphlet is available on the net at

Narrative of Dr. Tumblety : how he was kidnapped during the American war, his incarceration and discharge. . . .

The transcription is a bit garbled but they also provide links to images of the original pages which will help elucidate what is meant.

All the best

Chris

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 5:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Christopher George.

Congratulations on the further elucidation of Francis Tumblety's bizarre career through the medium of one of the U.S's great strengths: its independent newspapers!
I wish as much information were available on some of the English suspects.
I wonder when the British Library will get round to digitising its impressive newspaper holdings?

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 5:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry. A cornucopia of Chrisses; I meant Chris Scott.
Needless to say, Christopher George also does sterling work elsewhere.
But it is in the field of newspaper research, our friend C.S. appears non-pariel.

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, John:

I agree 100% that the work Chris Scott is doing in unearthing these long-forgotten and out of the way newspaper reports is astounding.

Thanks for the pat on the back to me as well.

All the best

Chris

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This long and detailed article about Dr T grabbed my interest and I hope it is useful:

Williamsport Sunday Grit
9 December 1888

DR. TUMBLETY IS HERE
THE MAN SUSPECTED OF THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS
HE REGISTERED A FALSE NAME
And Arrives in New York, Shadowed by Inspector Byrnes - Some of the Eccentricities of the Strange Man

(Special to Grit)
New York, Dec. 8.

Dr. Francis Tumblety, the eccentric American, who was arrested in London some weeks ago on suspicion of being "Jack the Ripper", the Whitechapel murder fiend, and who escaped the vigilance of the London police, is in this city. According to the detectives, he arrived on the French steamship La Bretagne, from Havre, and although there were a dozen or more reporters on the pier when he landed, all failed to recognize him. Two of Inspector Byrnes' most trusted aides were on the pier, however, and as they had been put there especially to keep an eye on the Doctor, whom they suspected was a passenger on the steamer, they had no difficulty in dogging him.

HE IS SHADOWED
After leaving the pier the fugitive from justice entered a hack and drove to a boarding house on West tenth street. The detectives followed him, and now have him under surveillance. The Doctor has not left the boarding house since he entered it. Inpector Byrnes said that although there was no <illegible> charge on which the could arrest the Doctor, he would still keep an eye on his movements.
After his arrest in London he was released on the Whitechapel charge for lack of evidence but rearrested and held for trial for another offense. He was placed under $1,500 bail, and two gentlemen went on his bond. After his release he evaded the London police and fled to Havre.

HIS AMERICAN CAREER
Tumblety is known in this country. As far as can be ascertained, he was born in Rochester, and in his early life sold immoral literature on canal boats. In fact he grew up like a weed on the canal bank. Afew years after reaching manhood he evinced a great dislike for women, and constantly spoke of the gentler sex as a curse to the land. He was always an easy liver, and at all times appeared to have plenty of money, although nobody could learn how or where he acquired it. His title of "doctor" is also in a cloud, and the testimonials he frequently exhibited are said to be bogus.
His odd ways always won attention on this city, in Brooklyn and in Washington. In the latter city he lived for some time in elegant style, travelling around in the costume of a military man, and having two pet dogs and a colored valet travelling behing. Subsequently he was arrested in St. Louis for wearing the uniform of an army surgeon. Tumblety registered for the steamer under and assumed name.

AN ECCENTRIC MAN
He used to hang around the old New York post office and acted strangely. He is a coward physically, though he looks like a giant. He has been a great traveller, having visited every city in Europe.

HIS WASHINGTON CAREER
Col. C. S. Dunham, a well known lawyer who lives hear Fairview, N.J., was intimately connected with Twomblety for many years and, in his own mind, had long connected him with the Whitechapel horrors. "The man's real name, " said the lawyer, "is Tumblety, with Francis for a Christian name. I have here a book published by him a number of years ago, describing some of his strange adventures and wonderful cures, all lies, of course, in which the name of Francis Tumblety M.D., appears. When, to my knowledge of the man's history, his idiosyncracies, his revolting <illegible>, his antipathy to women, and especially to fallen women, his anatomical museum containing many specimens like those carved from the Whitechapel victims - when, to my knowledge on these subjects, there is added the fact of his arrest on suspicion of being the murderer, there appears to me nothing improbable in the suggestion that Tumblety is the culprit.
"He is not a doctor. A more arrant charlatan and quack never fattened on the hopes and fears of afflicted humanity. I first made the fellow's acquaintance a few days after the first battle of Bull Run. Although a very young man at the time I held a colonel's commission in the army, and was at the Capitol on official business. The city was full of strangers, ninety per cent of them military men. All the first class hotels reembled bee hives. Among them were many fine looking and many peculiar looking men, but of the thousands there was not one that attracted half as much attention as Tumblety. A Titan in stature, with a very red face and long flowing mustache, he would have been a noticeable personage in any place and in any garb. But, decked in a richly embroidered coat or jacket, with a medal held by a gay ribbon on each breast, a semi military cap with a high peak, cavalry trousers with the brighest of yellow stripes, riding boots and spurs fit for a show window, a dignified and rather stagy gait and manner, he was as unique a figure as could be found any where in real life. When followed, as he generally was, by a valet and two great dogs, he was no doubt the envy of many hearts. The fellow was everywhere. I never saw anything so nearly approaching ubiquity. Go where you would, to any of the hotels, to the war department or the Navy yard, you were sure to find the doctor. He had no business in either place but he went there to impress the officers whom he would meet. He professed to have had an extensive experience in European hospitals and armies, and claimed to have diplomas from the foremost medical colleges of the Old World and the New. He had, he declared, after much persuasion accepted the commission of Brigade Surgeon at a great sacrifice pecuniarily; but, with great complacency, he always added that, unfortunately for his private patients, his official duties would not for a considerable time take him away from the city.

WHY HE HATED WOMEN
"At length it was whispered about that he was an adventurer. One day my Lieutenant-Colonel and myself accepted the 'doctor's' invitation to a late dinner - symposium, he called it - at his rooms. He had very cosy and tastefully furnished quarters in, I believe, H street. There were three rooms on a floor, the rear one being his office with a bderoom or two a story higher. On reaching the place we found covers laid for eight - that being the doctor's lucky number, he said - several of the guests, all in the military service, were persons with whom we were already acquainted. It was soon apparent that whatever Tumblety's deficiencies as a surgeon, as an amphitryon he could not be easily excelled. His menu, with colored waiters, <illegible> et etceras, was furnished by one of the best caterers in the city. After dinner there were brought out two tables for play - for poker or whist. In the course of the evening some of the party, warmed by the wine, proposed to play for rather heavy stakes, but Tumblety frowned down the proposition at once and in such a way as to show he was no gambler. Some one asked why he had not invited some women to his dinner. His face instantly became as black as a thunder cloud. He had a pack of cards in his hands but he laid them down and said, almost savagely: 'No, Colonel, I don't know any such cattle, and if I did I would, as your friend, sooner give you a dose of quick poison then to take you into such danger." he then broke into a homily on the sin and folly of dissipation, fiercely denounced all women and especially fallen women.
"Then he invited us into his office where he illustrated his lecture, so to speak. One side of this room was entirely occupied with doors, outeardly resembling wardrobes. When the doors were opened quite a museum was revealed - tiers of shelves with glass jars and <illegible>, some round and others square, filled with all sorts of anatomical specimens. The 'doctor' placed on a table a dozen or more jars containing, he said, the matrices of every class of woman. Nearly a half of one of these cases was occupied exclusively with these specimens.

THE WOMAN WHO DUPED HIM
"Not long after this the 'doctor' was in my room when my Lieutenant-Colonel came in and commenced expatiating on the charms of a certain woman. In a moment, almost, the doctor was lecturing him and denouncing women. When he was asked why he hated women, he said that when quite a young man he fell desperately in love with a pretty girl, rather his senior, who promised to reciprocate his affection. After a brief courtship he married her. The honeymoon was not over when he noticed a disposition on the part of his wife to flirt with other men. He remonstrated, she kissed him, called him a dear, jealous fool - and he believed her. Happening to pass one day in a cab through the worst part of the town he saw his wife and a man enter a gloomy looking house. Then he learned that before her marriage his wife had been an inmate of that and many similar houses. Then he gave up on all womankind."

FOND OF NOTORIETY
He would do almost anyting under heaven for notoriety. He appeared at Canterbury Music Hall, Washington, in the '60s and then threatened to prosecute becuase somebody had personated him. He pretended to his acquaintances that he had been outrageously burlesqued and sued the manager for libel. One wnight when the play was on, and the alleged impersonator of the doctor appeared, a powerful man suddenly sprang from the auditorium to the stage, exclaiming: "See here, you infernal scoundrel, Dr. Tumblety is my friend and I won't see him insulted by such an effigy as you are. Come, off with that false mustache and duds," and quick as a flash he seized the doctor's hirsute appendage and pulled it for all it would stand, threw his cap among the audience and otherwise showed the fellow up. The "doctor". though a powerful man, made no struggle, except to get behind the scenes as soon as possible.

IN PITTSBURG
He called himslef the "Great American Herb Doctor" and said he could cure everything. His career here was in many respects a remarkable one. He came, he saw, he conquered, was in turn conquered and had to flee to escape the consequences of trouble from two of his female patients. While here he did a wonderful business, and a made a great deal of money. He spent it most lavishly, too, and was knwon to open wine and give away cigars by the box.

ONE WHO KNEW HIM
A gentleman who knew him in Rochester says: "The only training Tumblety had for the medical profession was in a littel drug store that carried on a disreputable business. A few years later I saw him in Washington and he was putting on great style. He wore a military fatigue costume and told me he was on Gen. McClellan's staff. Lieut. Larry Sullivan, who belonged to a Rochester regiment, came up to him one day. He tried to palm the same tale off upon Sullivan, but the latter being perfectly familiar with McClellan's staff, told the imposter plainly just how great a liar he was. During the war and for some time after Tumblety remained in Washington and played the 'doctor' as he had done in Detroit. He got up some sort of a patent medicine, and at one time the walls were covered with large posters advertising the virtues of the Tumblety Pimple Destroyer. He must have made money, for he was able to spend plenty and live in the most extravagant elegance. Knowing him as I do, I should not be the least surprised of he turned out to be Jack the Ripper."

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With regard to the above article I have been asked to post the original if possible. becuase of the length of the article and the 200Kb limit on files size, I am posting below in 5 parts - bear with me!
Any offerings on the words I have entered as <illegible> in the transcription will be gratefully received!

t1

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

t2

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

t3

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

t4

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

t5

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris -

Nice find! This article appears to have most of the same information found in this Rochester article (itself from the NY World):

http://casebook.org/press_reports/rochester_democrat_and_republican/rd881203.html

... though there is a short paragraph on his time in Pittsburg which seems unique, and very interesting. I'm not sure I know what time period Tumblety was in Pittsburg - anyone?
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody recall something about Tumblety in connection with The Battle of Stones River (1862/63)? Maybe I just imagined it--I've read about the lie that Tumbltey was on McClellan's staff and he seems to have been in D.C during this time. There's no record that Tumblety actually served in the Union army, is there? There was either a post or an article about his being AWOL during the Battle of Stones River/Battle of Murfreesboro, but I haven't been able to find it.

Dave

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, David:

Lacking evidence to the contrary, I think we can say that Tumblety's self-alleged Civil War service was a complete fabrication. Given all that was written about him, I think we can be sure someone would have nailed him about him going AWOL in one of the many newspaper articles documenting his life. Another point is that just as he lobbied to get compensation for being unjustly jailed by the Federal government, in the papers filed by him as a "British subject" recently unearthed by Chris Scott, it would not surprise me that despite his supposed desertion (if it happened) he would not also have been suing for back pay, but no such record, to my knowledge, has come to light.

All the best

Chris

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

That makes sense--thanks. I wish I could remember where I read about Stones River in the first place.

Cheers,
Dave

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

The battle at Stones River (or Murfreesboro) in
Tennessee took place Dec. 31, 1862 to January 1,
1863. It was a major battle between the Federals
under General William Rosecrans, and the Confederates under General Braxton Bragg. In terms of battle tactics, it is not a remarkable
battle (both commanders were quite uneven as
both tacticians and battle commanders), and is only counted a Northern victory because Rosecrans
was in control of the field after the carnage of
two days.

By the time of Stones River, George McClellan was no longer on active army service. He had been removed for the second and last time from command of the Army of the Potomac in November 1862, after
he had failed to follow up his victory over Lee
and Jackson at the battle of Antietam Creek (or
Sharpsburg) in September 1862. McClellan was (in
December 1862) in Trenton, New Jersey, with his
wife. His next involvement in the Civil War would be in 1864, when he would be the Democratic
Party's candidate for the Presidency against
Lincoln (who only beat him after Sherman captured
Atlanta, and Farragut won at Mobile Bay).

Tumblety was a liar, and probably had no real involvement in McClellan's staff, but it is
possible (if he was on "Little Mac"'s staff)
for him to be transferred to Rosecrans' command.

Best wishes,

Jeff

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jeff. I live near the battlefield in Murfreesboro, so my interest was peaked when I saw it referenced in connction with Tumblety. I meant to file it away, but have since forgotten where I saw it. It's likely inaccurate anyway.

Cheers,
Dave

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always thought that Tumblety could have served as a model for the character of Cullingworth in "The Stark Munro letters" by Arthur Conan Doyle. It's eerie how the physical description fits and he ends up being some sort of quack herbalist to boot. I wonder if Doyle and Tumblety ever met, even briefly?

Regards, Vincent

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Vincent,

It can always be possible for Doyle to have met
Tumblety, but actually the character of Cullingworth was based on a fellow medical student and doctor he briefly worked with, Dr.
George Budd.

Best wishes,

Jeff Bloomfield

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information. I guess the blustery, quack-physician type was more common than I thought, on both sides of the Atlantic!

Regards, Vincent

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found the text of a letter about Tumblety shortly after he was arrested. This claims that while in England he was actually living in Birmingham and only visited London at weekends. This letter reads as follows:

"My dear Barber.... Do you recollect Dr. Tumblety who came to St. John about 1860 and who used to ride on a beautiful white horse with a long tail, and a couple of grey hounds following after him? Do you recollect how he used to canter along like a circus man? And do you recollect that it was asserted that he killed old Portmore, the Carpenter who built the extension to my house and fleeced me to a large extent? Do you recollect how he suddenly left St. John, circus horse, hounds and all, and afterwards turned up at different places in the States and Canada? He was considered by Dr. Bayard and others an adventurer and Quack Doctor. He is the man who was arrested in London three weeks ago as the Whitechapel murderer. He had been living in Birmingham and used to come up to London on Saturday nights. The police have always had their eyes on him every place he went and finally the Birmingham Police telegraphed to the London Police that he had left for London, and on his arrival he was nabbed accordingly. He must now be 58 or 60 years of age as he left St. John about 1860. He was a tall handsome man and a beautiful rider. When I was in Eastport in 1860 detained by a storm, I met him there and spent part of the day with him. He was very agreeable and intelligent. I do not think he could be the Whitechapel fiend. He now spells his name Twomblety. I believe his original name was Mike Sullivan."

The whole article in which I found this can be found at
http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/ghoststory/ghost1.html

The article is called Jacj the Quack!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I wonder whether the letter writer has somehow mixed Tumblety up with the medical man from Birmingham reportedly arrested at Euston, mentioned in Chapter 23 of the Sourcebook.

Robert

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
That is possible but from the detailed description of Tumblety given by the writer he is pretty ovciouly well acquainted with him and his appearance
Regards
Chris

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 3:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
Completly off topic.
Leanne and myself were discussing a point about the posibility, that kelly was married to 18 year old James Davies who was killed in a disaster in 1881?[ cannot be more specific at this time, as I am about to set off to work]
I thought as it would add up to what she was reputed to have told Barnett, also he would have been the right age group, also he was a assistant mason, which was the same professional as Joseph Flemming was in when they first met.could have been part of the attraction for kelly?
Therefore my question is , I Would have thought that if a certificate of marriage is traceable between James davies and mary jane, it would have her maiden name avaliable.
Sorry to butt in on Tumblety. But I thought mention it.
Regards Richard.

Catherine Atherton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Chris Scott

The first of the "illegibles" in the newspaper article looks to me to be 'official'. (The others, as you probably know by now, are 'practises', 'and the', and 'cases', all culled from the newspaper report in the NYW; I took them from the 1st edn. of Evans' and Gainey's book on Dr T., pp. 194, 195, 196.)

best wishes

Catherine Atherton

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked for and found a Nov 19,1888 NY World Tumblety-article that I had never seen in its entirety before. It was sent to the Casebook yesterday so maybe it can make its way into the press section sometime in the future. The article provided some extra details to a few old Tumblety stories, and it also revealed a skin problem Tumblety had attained. It was a long article so I'll just quote the highlights of it now. It can be read in full when it appears in the press section.

HE IS "ECCENTRIC" DR. TWOMBLETY

He formerly resided in Nova Scotia where he practised medicine under the name of Dr. Sullivan. About the time of his appearance in this city he was a fugitive from justice, having fled his Nova Scotian home to escape punishment for malpractice.

Ever since his identity became known here he has been under the surveillance of Inspector Byrnes's officers who rarely lose sight of him or knowledge of his whereabouts. For twenty years he has been widely known as the manufacturer of Twomblety's pimple banisher from which he professes to gain a livelihood. His own face is covered with pimples, and although his features are otherwise regular, his appearance on this account is somewhat repulsive. He is a large and heavily built man standing fully six feet in his stockings.

Every afternoon for years he was seen with a large button-hole boquet in the lapel of his coat, walking up Broadway and later in the day promenading up and down in front of the 5th Avenue hotel. The doctor also drove a gorgeously equipped turnout. He was last seen here about five months ago with his leather-peaked cap, white over-gaiters and button-hole boquet.

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oddly, this white button-hole boquet talk unexpectedly developed into something that might need further attention. I drove to a sparcely populated facility yesterday morning. I had been advised to travel to this building so I could obtain paperwork on an Englishman who I suspected as possibly being Tumblety's adversary during the doctor's stay in London. The trip was worthwhile, and good info was obtained. But ironically, the paperwork also revealed that this Englishman would be known to always wear a white flower in his button-hole, too. An accompanying portrait of this man displayed him posing with the white flower prominently shown on his lapel. He publicized the reason for wearing this white flower in his button-hole by stating it was an indication of his blameless life.

Hopefully, I can be able to tell the story of this Englishman in the upcoming months, but for now I'm pondering if Tumblety was mocking his foe by wearing his own white boquet on his lapel.
Maybe Tumblety admired the idea of showing a subtle sign which professed his own innocence, for this would totally be in accord with the doctor's mannerisms. Or maybe it was a just a temporary custom back then to indicate your blameless life by wearing a white button-hole boquet on your lapel!
What I do know is that both Tumblety and this Englishman were both publicly chastised during their days, and they were both known to lash back by using newspaper ink. Please checkout the 'Police Officials' section of the message boards. Under the thread "General Discussions" you'll find a posting there that I just put in. It's under the subtitle "New York vs London Police." A Scotland Yard detective named H.L. Reeves has popped up during some Tumblety-research. His poorly veiled comments that suggest an Irish political connection to these Whitechapel murders is intriguing. Keep in mind that we've just read the NY World's account of how Inspector Byrnes had meticuously kept Tumblety under strict surveillance. Reeve's comments were made four days after this NY World article was printed.

zxcter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just curious,has there ever been another serial killer who mutilate women and did homosexual activities on the "side".

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello there zxcter,

I don't know enough about Renwick Williams to expand further on this, but he'd be somebody I'd look into. I've read on the Casebook how he was somewhat of an effeminate man who attacked London women in the 1788-1790 period with a knife. Others can go more into depth about "The Monster" than I can. Bye! Joe

Timothy B. Riordan
Police Constable
Username: Timothy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Below are some entries from various passenger lists dealing with Tumblety. Remarkable how his age stayed the same for so long. At the bottom is a list of his various transatlantic travels. It is not complete. McGarry (in 1888) said Tumblety made a trip to Glasgow and another to Ireland. I have not found any trace of those trips. Also, the Casebook bio says Tumblety arrived in Liverpool in June 1888. Does anyone know what that is based on?

Thanks,

Tim

Roll 318, List 1062, Line 6
1869 13 Sept. ship Nevada; Liverpool & Queenstown to New York

No. 619
Name Francis Tumbleton
Age 32
Sex M
Calling Gent
Citizenship USA
Destination USA
Loc of Pass. Salon

Roll 400, List 851, Line 8
1875 17 Sept. ship Greece; London & Le Havre to New York

Name Francis Tumblety
Age 40
Sex M
Calling Physician
Citizenship USA
Destination USA
Loc of Pass. Salon

Roll 424, List 382, Line 1
1880 13 April ship Arizona; Liverpool & Queenstown

No. 820
Name Dr. Tumilty
Age 40
Sex M
Occupation Gentleman
Citizenship USA
Destination USA
Loc of Pass. Salon

Roll 512, List 1297, Line 3
1887 7 Oct. ship City of Rome; Liverpool & Queenstown to New York

No. 247
Name Francis Tumblety
Age 40
Sex M
Calling Gent
Citizenship USA
Destination USA
Loc of Pass. Cabin
# of bags 3

Roll 528, List 1616, Line 36
1888 3 Dec. ship La Bretagne; Liverpool & Queenstown to New York

No. 36
Name Frank Townsend
Age 45
Sex M
Calling no occ.
Citizenship USA
Destination NY
Loc of Pass. 1st Place
# of bags 4

Atlantic Passages

1869 July Sails for Liverpool on steamer Nebraska from NY

1869 Sept. 13 Arrives in NY on board the steamer Nevada from Liverpool

?? Sails for Liverpool from NY

1875 Sept. 17 Arrives in NY on the ship Greece from London

1878 April 23 Sails for Europe on the Guion line steamer Montana from NY

1880 April 13 Arrives NY on steamer Arizona from Liverpool

??? Sails for Liverpool from NY

1887 Oct. 7 Arrives in NY on the ship City of Rome from Liverpool

1888 <July 27 Sails for Liverpool from NY

1888 Dec 3 Arrive in NY on ship La Bretagne from Le Havre

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim,

I know this may sound like an odd or impossible thought, but is there some way to review the passenger and crewmen lists for those vessels that Dr. T was on to see if any other person frequently travelled on the same boats as the bad doctor?

Jeff

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That settles it, I'm your new best friend, Tim! What a revelation that last posting of yours was. The point of focus must be the July 27, 1888 sail from NY to Liverpool. If we can obtain the name of that ship and its arrival time in Liverpool, it can then be directly compared to the Aug 7th George Yard murder.

Tumblety would have had to arrive in Liverpool and immediately travel to the London area. At first glance it seems like a tight fit, but makeable in 10 days of travel time. The Nov 19th NY World claimed that Tumblety was in the NY area "5 months ago" meaning mid-June 1888. People assume he traveled to Europe right after this, so I suppose that's where the "Tumblety arrived in England in June 1888" theory could have originated. Thanks for a great posting, Tim.

Timothy B. Riordan
Police Constable
Username: Timothy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

As far as I can tell, Tumblety was traveling alone. None of the names of the other cabin passengers look familiar. Nor did there seem to be any consistent fellow travellers.

Joe,

I may have caused some confusion. The July 27 date is merely when he had to be in London (It is the date of his first assault charge). The angle sign in front of it was meant to indicate a date before which. I do not know when he sailed for Liverpool that year. I really wish I did.

It is easy to track people arriving in the US but much harder to find them leaving. The British National Archives has lists of Inward passengers. If someone was so inclined, they could check ship lists for Liverpool for this time. Given the limited time frame, it should not be too hard.

Tim

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,

I got out my old Tumblety scrapbook and I was going to log into July 27, 1888 that he set sail for Liverpool when I noticed that I had already labeled him with his crime upon Albert Fisher in Middlesex County on that same day! I didn't catch that little angle you had put in before the July 27th date. Ooops.

As for the 1887 sail from NY to Liverpool, I'd estimate that as being in the late May to early June time frame. The Nov 21, 1888 NY Herald had Tumblety in Wash DC around May 1887, and the quack met the abolitionist Douglas in Liverpool by June 10, 1887.

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This must be my lucky day. I finally found a picture of the La Bretagne. www.kinshipsprints.com/catalog/ships/b/labretagne.htm

That should do the trick!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe

Here's a bunch of them including the picture you referenced which is labeled as the Official CGT postcard of La Bretagne.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CGT_PCs_03.html#anchor797198

La Bretagne

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe

An interesting thing. The official postcard view for La Champagne is the same as for La Bretagne, only the names have been changed! See below. I am assuming they were sister ships.

La Champagne

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

The CGT was a French Atlantic line that was in competition to the Cunard line and the White Star line. It's style of vessel seems to be the positioning of the two funnels in the front of the liner. All of the vessels had names beginning with "Le" and a geographic location.

Unfortunately, just as "White Star" conjures up "Titanic" rather than "Olympic", CGT conjures up an 1898 tragedy which horrified the globe.

The steamship "Le Bourgoyne" was rammed in a fog off Sable Island (Nova Scotia, I believe) by a British ship, the "Cromartyshire". The crew of the French ship went totally beserk, grabbed all of the life rafts and boats, and fought violently against passengers trying to get into them. Only a handful of passengers survived (most survivors were the crew). ONE woman and no children survived. The one woman who lived was fortunate to have a husband who protected her with her to get into a life raft. About 560 people drowned (or were clubbed to death) in the disaster. Ironically enough, it occurred on July 2, 1898, the same day as the U.S. naval victory over the Spanish at the battle of Santiago Bay. One American and about four hundred Spaniards died in that battle. More people were killed in Le Bourgoyne.

The period was not a happy one for the French, with it's humiliation at Fashoda by the British, and negative criticism about the Dreyfus affair.
Mark Twain (never a fan of the French) used Le Bourgoyne as a convenient club to bash them with, but he wasn't alone.

Le Bourgoyne was in service for a long time. IN 1889 Thomas Edison went to the Paris Exposition with his exhibits on board her.

Jeff

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

Thanks for those pieces of information which all add to my knowledge of the era.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My January 4th posting on this thread spoke of a man with a "white button-hole" boquet. I can finally reveal him now. I was speaking of a Member of Parliament named Colonel Francis Charles Hughes-Hallett. The 'press reports' section of the Casebook has this Colonel featured in the Oct 8, 1888 Reno Evening Gazette. (That article mistakenly referred to him as J.C. Hughes-Hallett when they should have called him F.C. Hughes-Hallett.)

In this Reno Evening Gazette article, Hughes-Hallett identified the Ripper as a man "who left his club as I was then doing..." The Colonel goes on to describe the Ripper as not only being a fellow clubman, but a man who was either an army doctor or perhaps a retired army surgeon. Hughes-Hallett also declared this clubman to be a person who had "studied medicine as a fad." The current issue of Ripperologist goes into more detail concerning this Reno, Nevada article. Hughes-Hallett had suspected this phony doctor as soon as the George Yard murder was committed, and HH kept quiet for two months before he came to America to talk about this. He chose to speak to the American Press within a week after the Batty Street Lodger had fled.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe

Thanks for posting this. As you note, your article in the current issue of Ripperologist provides a full discussion of Tumblety and Colonel Francis Charles Hughes-Hallett, M.P. for Rochester, Kent, and his statements about a suspect who you make a good case for having been Francis Tumblety. Good work, Joe, and since this is only Part I of your article on Dr. T and the M.P., readers have more to look forward to in the next installment, which will appear in our July issue.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe has asked me to post this Vanity Fair picture of Highes Hallett:

VictorianGa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One must consider that Col Hughes Hallet's veracity is not without challenge. He was in Reno having been driven from the House of Commons after a scandal in which he seduced his young "ward" and managed to get several thousand pounds from her to pay his political debts. The Colonel's wealthy American born wife went home and he pursued her there, trying but failing to get a marriage settlement. Not a nice guy.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 937
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi VictorianGa,

Thank you for that piece of information. It helps, possibly, fit in one more piece of a puzzle that Joe was working on, and writing about, regarding Hughes-Hallett forming an alliance with fellow clubman Sir Richard Burton.

Joe had found that both Hughes-Hallett and Burton had a mutual enemy in the journalist William T. Stead. With regards to Burton, it was about his "ponographic" writing (i.e., THE ARABIAN NIGHTS translation that remains a monument to his fantastic scholarship of the Middle East and it's customs, traditions, and lore).

Stead, besides being a prig and a puritan, was modern in one sense - he championed a reformation of the divorce and alimony laws of England. In the 1880s he was working overtime trying to get a fair break for a Mrs. Mildred Langworthy, whose husband Edward was denying the legitimacy of their marriage, and refusing to make a decent settlement. Eventually, through Stead's activities, Mrs. Langworthy did get a fair settlement (literally pulled out of her husband). Unfortunately, the success in the Langworthy case led to Stead believing that newspapers could overturn court "mistakes" or even become an unofficial policy creator. This led to his championing Israel Lipski (despite being anti-Semitic himself) in the 1887 Batty Street Poisoning Case.

Stead would have disliked the supposedly respectable Hughes Hallett for being a hypocrite with seducing his ward and stealing her money. Then he would dislike the fact that the Colonel was trying to get an undeserved marriage settlement in the divorce itself. No doubt he must have commented plenty on all this (though I did not find anything in the one or two times I checked THE PALL MALL GAZETTE, but I have not checked everything). The Colonel, of course, would have enjoyed joining with Burton to battering Stead in return.

No, the Colonel was not a nice guy at all - neither, despite his remarkable career, was Sir Richard Burton. But Stead too had plenty of blemishes.

Boy, this stuff really deserves a full book study - I don't think there has been a study of Stead's career in decades.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HH's marriage problems with Emilie Schaumberg were also spoken of in the Oct 17, 1887 Brooklyn Daily Eagle (Page 1, Column 2) and in the Eagle's Sept 21, 1892 edition. (Page 4, bottom of column 5.)

When Stead wrote against HH, he probably did harp on the Knighted Colonel's marital matters. Yet the voters ignored the detraction writing thus resulting in HH coming out victorious in two Parliamentary elections. Stead would have better luck at disrupting the political careers of Dilke + Parnell over marital issues. (The Crawford and O'Shea divorce cases.) As for HH, I remember reading that he ended his political career in the Chiltern Hundreds.

Even though HH's words appeared in the Oct 8, 1888 Reno Evening Gazette, this interview was conducted by a NY World reporter two days earlier during HH's stay in NY's Breevort Hotel. VictorianGa's previous posting spoke of HH being in Reno. Perhaps he was there at some other time. I don't know. But on Oct 6, 1888 he was talking to a NY World reporter in NY.

When Tumblety was introduced to us 10 years ago, he was presented as the possible Batty Street Lodger who was pursued by the CID to Liverpool beginning in the first week of Oct 1888. This Liverpool investigation was in progress while HH was being interviewed by the NY World. HH was a politician, and he spoke like a politician during this interview. The Colonel knew the score on disclosure issues, and he wasn't going to say anything at this point which would jeopardize the Liverpool investigation. There was no way he was going to mention Tumblety's name at this critical juncture. Instead, HH slyly spoke of a so-called 'theory' of his which just happened to give a remarkable synopsis of Tumblety's entire career. Upon reading the Reno article, the similarities between HH's references and Tumblety's life are striking:

* Tumblety had "studied medicine as part of a liberal education" at Lispenard's clinic when he was a young man.

* In his middle age, Tumblety did pass himself off as an "Army Doctor."

* In 1888, Tumblety was most likely parading himself around as a "retired Army Surgeon" from the Franco-Prussian War. He even showcased a phony Brittany Cross diploma to punctuate this.

* Tumblety was "a man of wealth + intellectual qualities" who could portray himself as a gentleman when required.

All these hints above were referred to in HH's 'theory' about the Ripper being a fellow clubman of his. His NY World interview was cleverly revealing, yet mindful + protective of the current circumstances in Liverpool. It's a fabulous read especially when considering the NY World's track record of obtaining solid tips on Tumblety during the autumn of 1888. Ripper Notes made an astute observation when they correctly wrote that the NY World "seemed to have had the inside track on almost all of the Tumblety related news stories."

HH's military club was The United Service Club in Pall Mall. It wasn't surprising to me when I discovered that the only United Service Club Registry Book which is currently missing is for the year 1888. Thanks for your input, VictoianGa. HH is a tough man to find info on, and you've helped out. Jeff, great job as usual.

Joe

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 989
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately Hughes-Hallett didn't say that the Ripper was a member of his club, he said he believed the Ripper was the kind of a person who would belong to a club. There's a huge difference there.

Furthermore, the theory he gives about the kind of person he guessed the killer would be threw out so many different possibilities that taking bits and parts and ignoring others means the description could be applied to lots of other people... pretty much anyone with any sort of medical experience at all would apply equally as well as Tumblety.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 5:15am NY posting makes it 4:15am in your neck of the woods, Dan. You're quite a night-owl, sir!

"I was convinced my man left his club as I was then doing..." HH quoted in the Oct 8, 1888 Reno Evening Gazette.

Over this passed year, I must have shown over 60 people that quote. The conclusion that HH was speaking about himself and a fellow clubman of his who were members of the same club has been running at about a 97% approval clip. With your latest vote, Dan, we're now down to 96%.

HH made sure to state that this clubman physician of his was a phony military doctor. We know that HH's club was a military club. This further emphasizes the thought that both of these men were members of The United Service Club. If I were to lay 5 bucks down on the premise that these two men were members of two seperate clubs, I'd ask for at least a 20-1 payoff.

As for any notion that HH did not have a specific clubman in mind when he made his quotes, I think we can turn to the Oct 7, 1888 Atlanta Constitution to rationalize this. HH spoke of how he had conducted a night time hunt for this bogus military physician on the London streets shortly after the Tabrams murder. There were over 5 million people living in London at this time. Are we expected to believe that HH loaded up a revolver and hit the streets without having a clue about the physical appearance of the man he was hunting? "Hey, I think I'll just go out and blindly shoot for the moon in Whitechapel tonight." Does anyone seriously think this type of unorganized nonsense is what earned that Knighted Colonel the command of an entire British Artillery Division? Colonel HH knew the identity and the physical description of the phony military doctor whom he was trailing. HH even made it a point to declare that he himself was heavily disguised during this search. I'll have a hard time buying into any assumption that HH hunted incognito to avoid being recognized by a clubman "whom he has never met" before. The news account of his night time search for the Ripper enhanced the thought that he had a specific clubman in mind. It didn't contradict it.

During a critical stage of the Ripper killings, a British Parliament Member gave an exclusive interview to a NY World reporter. HH was the only Parliament Member I know of who spoke of these killings at that time. Yet, the contents of this interview only appears in three newspapers in the world. One in Atlanta, one in San Francisco, and one in Reno. I think I know how + why HH's words ended up in the small town of Reno and 3,000 miles away from NY. But I'm always curious to hear other peoples' opinions as to why, too!

Hey Dan, I'll be on the Berkeley campus tomorrow. I'll be looking up an article in the Dec 23, 1899 NY Herald. Robert Linford discovered that Tumblety mailed that article along with a letter of his own over seas. These documents ended up in Nottingham University. Let's see what this is about! I'll give the article to Robert first though. After all, he found it. Researchers protocol ya know!

Joe

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5254
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, they are willing to provide a photocopy of the letter, so I will send off for it. It will take two or three weeks, apparently.

Robert

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe,

I'm more of an all hours owl, actually.

If you take the phrase you quoted above out of the context of the rest of his statement and read it using modern American English then, yes, I can see how someone might wrongly assume he meant the same club. But the "as I was then doing" doesn't directly mean that Hughes-Hallett was leaving the same club. All the phrase means is that Hughes-Hallett was also leaving his club at the same time he imagined his theoretical suspect was leaving his own club. There's nothing to say that the two clubs were the same, and since he's quite clear in saying that he's only guessing at a broad type of person the killer might be, there's no way he could know that the killer was in the same club.

Look at it this way. Assume I said, "John had taken his girlfriend out to dinner, as I was then doing..." Does that mean that I was taking John's girlfriend out to eat or that I was taking my own girlfriend? You can't just ask people who aren't used to the way Victorians phrased things to vote on what a segment of a sentence from 100 years ago means without using the rest of the statment for contextual clues. You've assumed one precise meaning for a somewhat ambiguous statement even though it directly contradicts everything else the man had to say.

When you take a look at the full statement all doubt about the meaning goes completely out the window. The whole rest of the statement is full of words indicating that he did not actually know the person but that he was just guessing. The end part makes this especially obvious: "My theory is that the Whitechapel murderer is an Army Doctor, or a medical student, or a gentleman, and a man of leisure. Or perhaps a retired Army Surgeon." These options can't all describe the same man. He's descibing a theory. He even uses the word theory, and he uses words like "perhaps". This was not someone talking about a specific person.
Dan Norder, Editor

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And regarding some of your quotes...

"HH made sure to state that this clubman physician of his was a phony military doctor."

He said Army Doctor or retired Army Surgeon or medical student or a gentleman, not phony military doctor.

"Are we expected to believe that HH loaded up a revolver and hit the streets without having a clue about the physical appearance of the man he was hunting?"

If he hoped to catch the man in the act, or to turn up some other clues somehow, then yes. In fact we know that a significant number of people did hit the streets hoping to catch the killer without knowing what he looked like.

You've read a lot of things into imprecise statements, which is always very dicey, but more importantly you've declared that he must have been deceptive in the parts when he was being quite clear in order to make it fit with your speculative interpretations of ambiguous comments. If two interpretations conflict with each other, you should pick the one that has a more solid foundation and not the one that requires changing facts around to make things fit.
Dan Norder, Editor

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I arrived at the Berkeley campus yesterday morning, and I didn't get back home until the early evening. That was one long day. The old campus still has some pep though.

I read your opinions, Dan. Yes, I know the Colonel did not specifically say the exact phrase 'phony military doctor.' I felt he impled it. I based this on HH's expressed thought that the man he was hunting for had studied medicine "as a fad" combined with the Colonel's stated belief that the doctor was connected with the Army. This is becoming a bit tedious now. What's discouraging is that future progress won't be made on this subject until the place that keeps the records of The United Service Club is willing to provide some basic assistance.

Yesterday I was able to locate the NY Herald article which I believe Tumblety mailed out. (I'm glad to hear you've received that article from me, Robert.) We'll all look forward to reading it along side Tumblety's letter when the time comes.

Though the British won the Boer War, the Boers were putting up a good fight during the 1899 Christmas season. The Dec 1899 NY Herald accounts that I read yesterday provided in-depth coverage of what was happening in South Africa.

As for the NY Herald article which provoked Tumblety's written response, it was a short article with a somewhat antagonistic ending. It jabbed at the "continental critics" of England's involvement in the Boer War. I get the feeling that Tumblety's letter, the one Robert is waiting to receive from Nottingham, will be a letter of rebuttal to this NY article. I'm interested to see if there was any particular Boer War critic whom Tumblety desired to defend in his letter. "British Peers Off to Fight" was the title of the story in the NY Herald edition which I came across. Nottingham University's NY Herald edition has the title listed as "Noted Peers of England Who Want to go to War." It's probably the same article, but we'll find out for sure. Thanks for all your help with this, Robert.

And finally, I had mentioned in my last posting about why San Francisco + Reno were two of only three cities that printed the HH interview. It's tough to determine why, but I'd consider Fred H. Hart as a possible reason for this. Hart was a respected author and journalist for the San Francisco Daily Report. He wrote of the Whitechapel murders, and he was in direct communication with William Pinkerton. Hart was also the former editor of The Territorial Enterprise of Virginia City, and The Reese River Reveille of Austin, Nevada.

Virginia City is on the outskirts of Reno, and Austin is in the vicinity, too. The NY World reporter could have wired the HH story to Hart who in turn relayed it to Reno. We'll never know. But the interview did appear in San Francisco print on Oct 7th, and it was in Reno print on Oct 8th. Not only did Hart have connections with Reno, but he was also originally from NY. I'd consider him as a possible link for this NY-SF-Reno connection.

For anyone who is looking for a Tumblety-involvement with Hart, well it did exist. Hart claimed to be in agreement with William Pinkerton's assessment that Tumblety was fully capable of committing these Whitechapel murders. (SF Examiner Nov 23, 1888) Tumblety also previously approached Hart in New York City in a failed attempt to recruit him for a criminal scam. A further Hart-Pinkerton article could be found in the Nov 21, 1888 San Francisco Daily Report.

I'm shutting it down for a couple of weeks guys! My mom has a steel rake waiting for me up at her house. I've been putting this off too long. I'd rather fight in the Boer War than take on all those autumn leaves + weeds she's got. It's just my luck she'd have the only cactus garden in California, too. Take care, everyone. I'll catch all of you again after Thanksgiving.

Joe

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 948
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe,

When you get back from using the steel rake consider this: in the Second Anglo - Boer War of 1899 - 1902, the second in command of the British troops in South Africa was none other than Sir Charles Warren in 1899 - prior to the disaster at Spion Kop which he was held responsible for. Could that possibly be why Doc T. was interested in the current British involvement in the Boer War?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After two weeks of brutal weed warfare, I've signed an armistice with Field General von Cactus. I'm now obligated to cease any further hostilities with my steel rake. In exchange, the Field General has agreed to a gradual withdrawal of his weed + cacti forces.

This will be a bitter-sweet month for me here. The bitter part is that December will be my final month of public postings on the Casebook. I sure have enjoyed openly talking with other members about the Whitechapel topic for the past year and a half. But my family has wanted me to look for ways to free up some time. I'll still research as usual, and I'll privately talk with anybody on this intriguing subject. Just click on the red Malta Joe thing to the left over there and you'll get me!!

The good part is that during December, Santa Joe will open his bag and share a couple of things I've stored up. Ho Ho Ho Santa Joe opens his bag today and what do I see? I see we need to find a 19th century NY court case reference book called "Daly."

What's frustrating is that we know the volume number and the page number of some good info inside this Daly thing...but we just can't find that doggone reference book! (Technically, my attorney-older brother says that Daly was the name of the 'reporter service' which contained the Appellate Court opinion of the Tumblety NY court case I'm checking.) Robert Linford gets the credit for discovering the cite in a Law Treatise book. Whoever finds the Daly NY reporter service wins a cigar.

Most impotantly in December, I'll finally reveal the pivotal aspect of the Hughes-Hallett study that I've kept quiet about for almost a year now. I know some of you will like to hear the comments from the Royal Military Police concerning this. It was very tough for me to hide this for so long, but I needed to privately look into the matter for months. Check for it within a few weeks in the "Victims - Tabrams" section of the Casebook.

Oh, I actually won the weed war, but it wasn't worth the fight. Dead cactus branches are sharper than heck!

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe,

I sure will miss your imput! I wish you the best in your research. I am looking forward to your December post.

Your friend, Brad

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.