Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Presentations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » "Jill the Ripper" » Presentations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WeyrCat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where else would I find more data on Jill the Ripper for a presentation for a college speech class? -WeyrCat@hotmail.com

John Savage
Police Constable
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first proponent of this wacky theory, was in 1888 in a letter to "The Times" from one Rev. Lord Sydney Godolphin Osborne, however try: "Jack the Ripper: A New Theory" by William Stewart (1939).
Also I think Conan Doyle wrote some story along these lines, but I don't know the title.

Regards,
John Savage

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi WeyrCat
The problem with finding info on "Jill the Ripper" is that we are not talking about one particular theory or suspect. It really is a catch all term for any theory which postulates that the Whitechapel killer was female.
These range from the theory of an unnamed midwife to versions in which there is a named female suspect such as Mrs Pearcey and Olga Tchkersoff.
The A-Z lists the following theories in which the suspect is female:
1) The Rev Osborne and Conan Doyle's theory of a midwife
2) Edwin Woodhalls thoery on Olga Tchkersoff
3) William Stewart's abortionist theory
4) Convict SY545's story (Richard Herd)

Hope this is of use
chris S

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could Jack have gone around dressed like a woman to fool the victims beforehand and pursuers afterward?

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only if he was Michael Cain.

Cheers, Mark

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Weyrcat,

If I may suggest, on the subject of Conan Doyle
and his theory about Jack the Ripper being
dressed up as a woman, see Peter Costello's
book, THE REAL BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE
TRUE CRIMES INVESTIGATED BY ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE
(New York: Carroll And Graf, 1991), chapter 8,
"THE TRAIL OF JACK THE RIPPER". He apparently
had several ideas about the Ripper, and concluded
that the Ripper was wearing woman's clothing when
he learned that Mary Kelly's fireplace had fragments of woman's clothing in it.

Unlike the plethora of male murderers suggested
for being the Ripper (George Chapman, Dr. Thomas
Neill Cream, Frederick Deeming, William Bury,
Dr. H.H.Holmes/Herman Webster Mudgett, etc.)
Only one female murderer was ever seriously
considered for the role of "Jill" the Ripper:
Mary Eleanor Wheeler "Pearcey" (hanged 1890).
Mrs. Pearcey managed to lure Mrs. Phoebe Hogg,
a successful rival for the hand of Frank Hogg
(Mrs. Pearcey's lover), to her home. She murdered
Mrs. Hogg (nearly nearly decapitating her),
and transported her body in a parambulator (thus
smothering the Hoggs' baby under the body of its
mother), and deposited it on Hampstead Heath.
The discovery of the body was first considered
to be another Jack the Ripper killing, but it
was eventually recognized as a murder for
jealousy. See F. Tennyson Jesse's MURDER AND
ITS MOTIVES (Chapter IV: MURDER FOR JEALOUSY:
MRS. PEARCEY). Some have speculated that a final,
odd message that Mrs. Pearcey had posted in the
newspapers at the time of her execution ["M.E.C.P.
Last wish of M.E.W. Have not betrayed."] may have
some connection to the Whitechapel murders, but
there is no solid reason to believe it does.

Jeff Bloomfield

Isabelle-Marie Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOLA!
(That woman really does look like a CrAZy wrench)Well I am a Senior at my school, and for my persuasive speech I have chosen to go against the Royal conspiracy of Jack the Ripper. Now I am aware that there are 'many' theories other than the Royal Conspiracy, but I have chosen either Sickert or 'Jill' as the possible ripper. So the reason I have posted here is to say How I should be going at it. Better yet which 'suspect' would be an interesting and evidencial (m/s?) case to be able to talk about and for it to come to a 'persuasive' outline. Yet still keeping the attention of my fellow classmates? Well I thank you for any well thought out advice anyone may give me.
~Ciao~
Izzy

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Izzy

Forget about about 'Sickert' and 'Jill the Ripper'. They have about as much chance of being Jack the Ripper as I have.
I have always believed he may be a local man, and lately I have leaned towards Joseph Barnett as a likely suspect but only for the murder of Mary Kelly, I am dubious as to his involvement in the other murders.
Personally I think you should pick up a copy of Phillip Sugdens 'The Complete history of Jack the Ripper' to start with, and follow it with a copy of Bruce Paley's 'Jack the Ripper the simple truth' and finally 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z' by Paul Begg, Martin Fido and Keith Skinner.
At the end of the day you you'll have to draw your own conclusions, as there is no proof against anyone only circumstatial evidence, nobody is even sure how many women he killed.
And don't forget it isn't just about someone going around with a knife cutting women up, you have to take into account the social conditions of the time, the suffering these poor women went through.
If you do get stuck and need some advice you'll find we are a helpful bunch.

All the best

Rob

Alan Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Izzy
Wow what a school you must attend, Spanish and Italian in one post.
If you are doing a speech I suggest the suspect who may be of most interest to your audience would be James Maybrick, alleged author of the "Diary of Jack The Ripper". Not that I am suggesting that he is indeed the man but to the casual listener he is the most interesting candidate.
His case presents the most tangible piece of "evidence" the diary itself.
His own life has all the ingredients, love, betrayal, alleged murder, sensational court case, (Where the Judge is linked to another Ripper suspect). Take it from me Izzy, youll have them on the edge of their seats.

PS Despite what all the old cynics will have you believe, the diary has yet to be proven to be a fake.

Alan

Isabelle-Maire Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~Hiyaz~
'At the end of the day you you'll have to draw your own conclusions, as there is no proof against anyone only circumstatial evidence, nobody is even sure how many women he killed.'

Thank you! Thats what I was looking for. Just for more...evidence/circumstances that at the end is my own opinion on my own research. Thank you for suggesting those books. Im trusting you on the good material of those 'suggestions'.

'And don't forget it isn't just about someone going around with a knife cutting women up, you have to take into account the social conditions of the time, the suffering these poor women went through.'

LoL Yes I understand. Thats why I came here. So that I will get some thourough(m/s?) advice on how to make my speech authentic, interesting, and maybe and hopefully enlighten some people in the progessions of a...well Jack The Ripper. He is in his own category I suppose. So thank you...
~Ciao~
Izzy
All the best to you my friend...thanks again.}
*writing down names of books and running out to the library/barnes and nobles*

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5236
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This item appeared in the "Chicago Daily Tribune" Dec 2nd 1893 :

MAY BE A WHITECHAPEL MURDERER.

---------------------

Mrs. Holliday Makes Fragmentary Confessions While in Jail.

MONTICELLO, N.Y., DEC.1. – (SPECIAL.) – Mrs. Holliday, in prison here awaiting trial for murder, refused to take any solid food and is rapidly failing in health. The Sheriff this afternoon was asked : "Has anything particular been said by her about the coming trial?" "No, but recent investigations show that Mrs. Holliday is in all probability connected with the famous Whitechapel murders. It has been proved that she was in Europe at the time. She frequently refers to the subject, both when she is in possession of her mental faculties and when she is raving. Mrs. Holliday is constantly speaking of these murders. She also talks of many women brought from New York who have been robbed, killed, cut up in small pieces, and dumped in the Hudson River."

She was in Europe - now we've got her cornered.

Robert

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm . . . frequently refers to JTR . . . sometimes sane and sometimes raving . . . constantly speaks of the murders . . . talks of other killings of a similar nature . . .

Sounds like, had she been born 100 years later she could be one of us!

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 811
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

Good post -- but on the evidence of the article she sounds too sane to be a regular.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't be one of us, Diana, she's dieting.
Mags

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant argue with that, having just downed two chocolate candies.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
This article refers to Lizzie Halliday - see the thread at
../4922/5874.html"#DEDDCE">

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Chris. I must agree with Richard, she looks a bit masculine.

Robert

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She's a two-bagger for sure,Robert...

I thought it was Oscar Wilde from the profile.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.