Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

James Jenkins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kelly, James » James Jenkins « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently doing some research into James Kelly. The timeline in the Suspects section starts with this:
April 20th 1860 - James Kelly born in Preston, Lancashire, the illegitimate son of 15 year old Sarah Kelly. After the birth Sarah returns to Liverpool leaving James in the care of her mother Teresa. James never meets his mother.

The only household I have been able to find which seems to fit these facts has a 1 year old child listed (in the 1861 census). His name is James and he was born in Preston, but his surname is given as Jenkins. Ths household listed is as follows:
124 Radcliffe Street, Everton, Lancs.
Head: Theresa Kelly aged 52 born Brompton, Chatham - Housekeeper
Daughters:
Theresa Jenkins (married) aged 20 born Isle of Man
Sarah Kelly aged 17 born Altrincham
Niece:
Amelia Hilson aged 23 born Ireland
Grandson:
James Jenkins aged 1 born Preston

It looks very much as if the family tried to pass the 1 year old James, son of the unmarried Sarah, off as the son of her married daughter, Theresa Jenkins. I can see no other reason for listing him under this surname.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julie
Inspector
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Scott

Hi Chris,

James Kelly is still near the top of my good suspect list. The argument against James has always been that his whereabouts could not be established during the time of the murders.
Since we could not pinpoint his whereabouts , to me suggests that he could have just as well been in the Whitechapel area as not.
After reading Tully's book prisoner 1167(?) I felt there was a very strong motive for his wanting to kill prostitutes.
regards
Julie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.