Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Stephenson In India... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » Stephenson In India... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thread will materialize soon,folks,just like the snakes that pop up out of baskets in the days of the Raj...coming soon.
HowBrown

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 796
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephenson's social circle included,at one point in 1859 and subsequently in 1878, the son of Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton. In 1859, at the age of 18, Stephenson is said to have met Lytton fils while in Paris. His full name was Edward Robert Bulwer-Lytton, 1st earl of Lytton..

When twenty-five years old,[Lytton fils] he published in London a volume of poems under the name of Owen Meredith. He went on to publish several other volumes under the same name. The most popular one is "Lucile," a story in verse.

Therefore,Lytton was 27 at the time of the meeting with the then 18 year old Stephenson.

Born on Nov.8th,1831, he was educated at Harrow School and at the University of Bonn. When eighteen years old, he went to the United States as private secretary of his uncle, Sir Henry Bulwer, who was Minister at Washington, DC.

Just as an aside for a moment..this information indicates that Lytton was in the US during the time of the California Gold Rush. In 1849, Lytton was 18 years old....

This is NOT an inference that Lytton was a participant of the Calif. Gold Rush whatsoever.

In addition,information obtained from a British Columbia Freemasonry site states...

"November 8, 1831 - November 24, 1891
British diplomat and viceroy of India (1876-80), Edward Lytton also wrote under the pseudonym of Owen Meredith. He was also titled 1st Earl of Lytton, Viscount Knebworth and 2nd Baron Lytton of Knebworth.
He is sometimes confused with his father, Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, by writers unclear on the difference between R. W. Little's Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia (S.R.I.A.), founded in 1866 and William W. Westcott's Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (HOGD), founded in 1887.
There is no record of any occult or rosicrusian interest on his part". emphasis mine

Lytton fils definitely served as viceroy of India (1875–1880) and ambassador to Paris (1887–1891). His daughter Lady Constance Lytton (1867–1923) was a militant suffragist who also worked for prison reform.

Stephenson,after two years of marriage to Anne Deary,set off for India. There he reunites with the now 47 year old Lytton,the Viceroy. Meanwhile,Anne sits at home keeping the home fires burning...or did she? One wonders where Anne was during this time...

Lytton fils judging by the information provided on the Canadian Freemasons site,did not share his father's interest in occult mumbo jumbo to the point he would write about or get involved with this field.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

A side issue my man. Try to find a classic "Bad poetry" anthology called THE STUFFED OWL one of whose editors is Wyndham Lewis (presumably the novelist). It came out about 1930. They have a selection of verses in it by "Owen Meredith", one of which describes a woman whose throat is slit while she is on her bed.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 800
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

J.B.

Brother,I found it...and it is bad. Oy what a load that "Lucile" was...I spent about 15 minutes reading it and started to nod out..

Jeff,anything about these people involved with Stephenson isn't "a side issue" to be honest. Maybe somewhere there is an article pertaining to Sudden Death that no one has seen to date.

I'll tell ya..that poetry gig may be my calling...I have this poem I invented and sent in to the poem peeps....goes like this...Its called "Ode To My Wedged Cheeks".........

"There once was a lady named Ally...
who got mouthy with Howie her pal-ly...
At the Ripper Convention
with her butt in wedged suspension...
she said,"Pull homes...don't dilly-dally !"

Ain't that the goods,J.B. ? Sounds like Lord Byron a little,doesn't it? Admit it !

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

Well, like Lord George Byron, or do you mean his granduncle who killed Mr. Chaworth in a duel? I was never much of a judge of poetry.

"Maid of Athens" anyone?

Has anyone (as far as you or Ivor or Harris ever knew of) looked at any letters or journals of the staff around Robert Lytton when he was Viceroy?

Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff.
I am to poetry what Pauly Shore is to comedy...not much,sir. Thats a sapient conclusion. I'm still trying to figure out that "There once was a lady from Nantucket..." rhyme.

That is a possible source for information that you've mentioned. I've never seen anything written by Lytton's staff, not sure about the other two men..thanks for the suggestion J.B.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.