Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

'Whitechapel Mary' & Thomas Cutbush... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » 'Whitechapel Mary' & Thomas Cutbush « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

I just wanted to let anyone know who didn't already that a fictional book exists with Thomas Cutbush as a leading character.

The book is entitled 'Whitechapel Mary' by Sally Worboyes and was released in 2001.

I am currently about half way through this book and it is a very good read. It follows the life of a young girl struggling to survive in the abyss that is Whitechapel, while all around her is the ever present terror of the ripper. The girl in question is friends with a midwife who is the aunt of Thomas.

Thomas Cutbush has been researched meticulously by the author and the character very much reflects what we know of him. He is religous and often quotes from the bible, he is considered by the locals as a bit of a loon, someone to be scoffed at and certainly not feared. Charles Cutbush is also in the cast list as well as other familiar figures.

I am not usually a fan of reading fictional works based on the Ripper case and the only reason I bought this title was that in a review which I read someone mentioned to "Check out Cutbush of Scotland Yard l888".

I would recommend this book as it gives us a very personal look at Thomas Cutbush, not really seen before, and what potentially could have been the truth of what happened in the months of terror in 1888.

This title is available on Amazon.

Regards

David Bullock

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, David.
I'd be very interested in your thoughts once you have finished the volume.
Somehow the author's name is familiar to me.

Debra J. Arif
Sergeant
Username: Dj

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David
I have seen this book regularly for sale on e bay but didn't pay much attention to it.
Seeing as it usually sells for around 99p I might just have one now.

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and Debra

Like you Debra I kept on seeing the book advertised and didn't pay any attention to it until seeing a review.

I bought my copy on Amazon for believe or not 0.01p and I believe there are stil copies available for this price.

It is very interesting to me to read a fictional story which contains such a wealth of factual material and would recommend it.

Regards

David

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just got my copy, but I'm afraid I had to pay £1.50 for it.
These bloody authors and the prices their out of print books sell for!
It is a scandal.

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Happy reading.

You won't have to read too far into the book to find the first mention of Thomas.

Regards

David

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David

I've now finished the absolute joy of reading 'Whitechapel Mary, and I suppose I should feel flattered that this novelist has obviously read the 'Myth' at some point since it was published in 1994, and then purloined my material to factualise her story.
She even has the cheek to quote exactly the same biblical texts as I did.
No matter though, for the book chugs along at an alarmingly slow rate of turgidity that is yawningly matched by the most absurd use of the cockney dialect it has ever been my misfortune to read.
If I see or hear anuffer phrase like 'it was 'im what did it' or 'Cor blimey!' I shall probably sit down at my kitchen table and shoot myself in the head with my trusty service pistol.
As they say in Hackney: 'Cor blimey, mate! Her indoors is 'aving a bubble bath!'
The least she could 'ave done was give this 'ere awfer a few ponies for 'is toil and trouble.

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dj

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP at least you bought the right book, I ended up with The ghost of Whitechapel by the same author...well I was in a hurry when I bought it and it did mention Jack the Ripper and Whitechapel, I really must pay more attention!
I haven't read it yet and if the other book is just a rip off of yours no need to bother with that one either....anyone want to buy a book?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd send you my copy, Debra, but it's probably very wet by now, and possibly in St.Malo, as I hurled it from my balcony into the nearby sea when I turned the last page.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strike me pink! Wot I says is this 'ere : she shoulda got that Dick Van Dyke to 'elp her with the accents. You know, that cove wot painted King Charlie afore 'e 'ad 'is 'ead cut 'orf - Charlie's 'ead, I mean, not Dick's. You with me govnor? Wouldn't a been no use Dick painting Charlie arter 'e 'ad 'is 'ead cut 'orf. now would it? It woulda been too late, and Dick woulda missed the boat on that one. Stands to reason, dunnit? I don't s'pose Dick woulda got paid, neither. You take my tip : if you do somethink for a royal cove, you make sure 'e's not a stiff when you bloomin' do it. I read all about Dick and Charlie in 'istory at school. Charlie wouldn't pay Dick because 'e said Dick 'ad got soot on the painting while 'e was doing 'is sweep day job. Made 'im paint 'im again and again - three times in one picture. Still Charlie wouldn't cough up. In the end Dick 'ad to nick Charlie's silver to make sure 'e got paid. That's toffs for you gov.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.