Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Trial of Montague Druitt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » Trial of Montague Druitt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELP!!!
Quite some time back there was posted as a series of articles an Australian press account of an imagined "trial" of Druitt as the Whitechapel killer. This appeared within days of his inquest in January 1889. I am sure I am not imagining this but cannot find it anywhere. I have the Archive CD of Casebook but cannot find it on there either!
If anyone could point me where to find this I wouold be VERY grateful!!!
Chris

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Casebook Message Boards: Ripper Suspects: Ripper Suspects: The Trial of Montague John Druitt. 18 Dec 2002 post by Jules Rosenthal.

Dave
(I took that to be Jules just kidding around)

(Message edited by oberlin on April 18, 2005)

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave Many thanks for that - very useful - I owe you one!
All the best
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave
I can see why you thought it was kidding around but the second message in the thread reads:

Author: Andy & Sue Parlour
Thursday, 19 December 2002 - 08:53 am
Hello Julian,

It's true. It's true. I have a copy of the Geelong Gazette of the same date and it exactly corresponds word for word what you have posted.

Andy.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 813
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I want a scan :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave
Here is what Julian posted back onthe old thread:

PLAYERS:
JUDGE: Mr Justice James Fitzjames Stephen.
PROSECUTION: John Addison QC.
DEFENCE:Sir Charles Russell QC (Probably not the best).
JURY: 12 illiterate Lancashire men, A convicted wife beater and assorted labourers.

OPENING STATEMENT BY THE PROSECUTION:
"Your Honour, blokes of the jury. It is the intention of the prosecution to prove beyond doubt that this man before you is indeed guilty of the atrocities perpetrated against five women of the unfortunate class in Whitechapel last year.

The prosecution will provide evidence that this man, through guile and cunning, tried to establish himself with alibis on the nights of the murders and by committing suicide tried to avoid justice. Once you have heard all the facts and have seen the evidence there will be no doubt in your minds that this man was in fact Jack the Ripper".

OPENING STATEMENT BY THE DEFENCE:
"Your Honour, fellow City Darts drinkers. The innocence of this man is as plain as the beer in front of you. The defence will not only prove this but will also establish it would have been impossible for him to committed these murders. This man is an educated Englishman whose integrity and ability to scull a yard glass is legendary. Should this man be found guilty of murder the greatest travesty of justice in the history of English law will have been committed.
The Defence rests its case!

JUSTICE STEPHEN: Defence, the case hasn't started yet.
DEFENCE: Oh. I guess we'de better get started then.
JUSTICE STEPHEN: Prosecution, would you please call the condemned to the stand.
PROSECUTION: Druitt, get your fat butt up on the stand so I can intimidate the c**p out of you.
DEFENCE: Objection!.
JUSTICE STEPHEN: Overruled.
PROSECUTION: Druitt, for the sake of the jury would you please state your full name, address and occupation.
DRUITT: Montague James Druitt, of 9 Eliot Place and I was a Doctor. Um, no I was a Barrister.
PROSECUTION: Make up your mind, were you a Doctor or a Barrister?
DRUITT: Well some copper reckoned I was a Doctor but I was trained as a Barrister.
PROSECUTION: Which is it to be?
DRUITT: A Teacher.
PROSECUTION TO JUSTICE STEPHEN: Can I hit him?
JUSTICE STEPHEN: Better not, there's people watching.
PROSECUTION: O)K Druitt, are you a teacher of law or a doctored teacher?
DRUITT: I think I'll stick with teacher.
PROSECUTION: Good idea. Now to the best of your recollection, where were you on the morning of 31 August 1888 between the hours of 2.45 and 3.30?
DRUITT: Probably sleeping.
PROSECUTION: Can you prove it?
DRUITT: No, but I was playing cricket the next day against Wimborne and I needed my sleep.
PROSECUTION: So you play cricket Druitt?
DRUITT: Well I like to think I'm a a batsman but I tend to slash around a bit. The Captain wants me to have a stab at bowling but I need more practice. Do you play cricket?
PROSECUTION: I'll ask the questions Druitt. So you like to have a slash with the bat do you?
DRUITT: Oh yes!, It's ripping fun, espescially when you don't get caught.

PROSECUTION TO JUSTICE STEPHEN: Do I have to keep going?
JUSTICE STEPHEN: 'Fraid so. There's still four more murders to convict him of.
PROSECUTION: "Druitt. Where were you at 5.30am on the morning of 8th September?
DRUITT: "Probably asleep. I had to play cricket later that day.
PROSECUTION: "And I suppose you were asleep during the mornings of 30th September and 9th of November?
DRUITT: Probably, I think I was playing....
PROSECUTION: "Let me guess? Cricket the following day?
DRUITT: "How did you guess? Well I was goping to play cricket on the 10th November but decided to kill myself instead.
PROSECUTION: How did you get to these cricket matches?
DRUITT: "By train. A couple of tickets were found in my coat when I was dragged from the Thames.
PROSECUTION: "Do you think your poor show at cricket might have lead your team mates to throwing you into the Thames with your pockets full of stones?
DRUITT: "No. I did that by myself. I was trying to build my arm muscles up and I thought swimming with stoned suit might help.

JUSTICE STEPHEN TO MR BLOOMFIELD: Sor. You will leave my sone out of this or I will hold you incompetent. As for Mrs Maybrick, she'll get a fair trial after she's murdered her poor, long suffering husband who had to put up with her affairs.

*The jury notes with interest the comments from the gallery - in particular those of Mr Parminter - regarding the possibility that the rocks found in Monty's pockets were in fact placed there to help weigh the body down after the cricket team murdered him. These comments and others made by Vicki, Ky, David and Chris will be answered when Monty takes the stand again later.

And Mr Cochran. I believe Macnaughty may have actually planted his evidence in Monty just to make things appear the way thay do.

MARY ANN NICHOLS TAKES THE STAND.

PROSECUTION: Please state your full name, age, address and occupation.
NICHOLS: Polly Nichols, my age is none of your business, I sleep where I can and with whom I can, Do ya wanna bit:-).
PROSECUTION: Ah, thanks but no thanks. Could you please tell the jury your movements on the night of 30 August till the time of your murder, and if you recognise Druitt as the one who murdered you, don't hesitate to say so.
POLLY: Druitt? Oh him. It could have been but I can't be sure. It was someone who looked a bit like him, Prince um, Prince someone he called himself.
Anyway on the 30th it was raining so I decided to go and have a few pints of gin dxown at the Flying Pan. About 12.30 I stagger off to the White House in Thrawl St to get a roof over me head but the deputy tells me to bugger off 'cause I ain't got me doss money for the night. I tells 'im to 'old a bed for me 'cause I got me this beaut new bonnet which has helped me pick up three punters already today so I shouldn't have no troubles gettin' another one.

About 12.30 I were hoofing it up Osborn St when I runs inta me mate Emily and I says g'day Em, 'ow's it goin'. Em were just comin' back from watchin' them fires down at Shagwell docks and she reckoned I didn't look to good, she reckoned I was looking a bit pickled. "Occupational azzard'" I tells 'er, all me punters wanna get me as pickled as what they is so's I don't look so bad. Anyway Em, I tells 'er, I just gotta get done one more time tonight and I can get a doss for the night.

So's I leave Em and stagger up Bucks Row when this real fine gent come over and says 'ow much. I was gunna say nuthin' 'cause 'e were a bit of all right ya know, but I wanted the dosh so I says 3 pence.

D'ya know what the bastard went and did then? He pulls out this bloody great knife and says "that's too bloody much for a whore like you" and cuts me throat.

"A whore like me! I'll give 'im bloody whore like me next time I see 'im."

"Anyway guv, that's almost about it. Next thing I know I'm lyin' on the pavement with blood comin' outa me neck but this bastard ain't done yet. 'E lifts me skirts and starts carvin' me belly up. I reckon if it weren't for them blokes Charlie n' Bob I woulda been done a lot worse."

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Chris,

Bring on Mr. Justcice Cocklecarrot and the twelve red bearded dwarfes!

Rgds
John

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.