Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Eliot Place Photos Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » Eliot Place Photos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the current nos. 10 & 9 Eliot Place, Blackheath. The darker colored house on the right is the current no. 9. Presumably this stands where Valentine's school once stood.

The sqaurish house on the left is the current no. 10. As far as I know it dates from Druitt's time but was not part of Valentine's school.

If I understand the history the Eliot Place correctly, the building in the center with the three windows in the ground level and the triangular top was an addition to no. 9 that was part of Valentine's school in Druitt's day and is therefore the only remnant of that school building still extant. This photo was taken March 11, 2005. It looked as if there were some renovation in progress to the addition, which is now part of no. 10.

Andy S.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the "classic" photo of Valentine'school. I do not know the date
eliot

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Andrew[and Chris]
Both this and 9 KBW are great -I"ve been wondering what the place looks like today for a while!
Natalie

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pleased you enjoyed your trip to London Andrew,
thank you for your clear and interesting photos.
And good on you, Chris, for providing the classic Eliot Place, Blackheath photograph.
No doubt Andrew caught up with our discussion concerning Mr Neil Rhind on a similar thread?
Something has just occurred to me. Early in World War One, the prominent journalist George R Sims published the interesting fact that the mysterious Jack the Ripper not only suicided, but resided at Blackheath!
No doubt, the war distracted many from this fascinating gem, but I wonder if it generated any comment in local, or other London papers at the time? I think it was 1914.
I'll see if I can rustle up the exact date and newspaper.
***I've done so already. It was PEARSONS WEEKLY of July 24, 1915.
The quote is:
"There was no question of the insanity of revenge upon a certain class of woman as there was in the case of the mad doctor who lived with his people at Blackheath...."
Also, is there any chance someone can down-load a
contemporary map showing the Heath and Eliot Place,the church and river and railway station in Druitt's Blackheath please?

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Sorry that this is not a very timely response. There seems no doubt that Sims had Druitt in mind as his Jack the Ripper and probably used Macnaghten as his source or shared a common source with Macnaghten.

Here is a link to a map showing Eliot Place Blackheath. Zoom out for perspective or click on "Aerial" in the toolbar to get an aerial photo. On the aerial photo, mouse your cursor around to see a map superimposed for reference. You can clearly see where the cricket pitches were located just across Eliot Place from no 9. [Note: the red circle is not where no. 9 is located. I can't figure out how to move it. No. 9 would have been closer to the center of Eliot Place.]

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.