Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Squibby, a.k.a. George Cullen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Squibby, a.k.a. George Cullen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter Dew described a colorful experience with a criminal named 'Squibby' in his memoirs, I Caught Crippen. Squibby was wanted by the police for assault on a child, and was noticed in Commercial Street soon after the Hanbury Street murder. Dew chased him down, but in doing so he caught a nearby crowd's attention - they assumed Squibby was the Whitechapel murderer and raised a cry to lynch him. (You can read Dew's full description of these events at: http://casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.walterdew.html , see part IV)

To my knowledge, Squibby has never been positively identified. The earliest source I can find that tries to identify him is the A-Z, (1991). Based on criminal records and name similarity they suggest Squibby was either a William or Charles Squibb. Sugden (1994) adds another Squibb, Geroge Squibb, in the footnotes to Chapter 7 of his first edition.

Going through the Morning Advertiser today (the next paper on queue for the Press Project), I came across a short police blurb which positively identifies Squibby as George Cullen. It is reproduced below. This account matches Dew's account in every way (right down to Squibby dashing through the legs of a horse), so I think its fair to say we've finally got a positive identification for this colorful fellow.

The above article will be transcribed and added to the press reports section as part of the on-going press project.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work, Stephen! With the above in mind, could the following relate to the murder of 'Squibby'? If so, it certainly has shades of Mary Kelly (with a bit of Ms. Borden thrown in!). It's from The Age of Jan. 5th, 1903:

AN OLD MAN MURDERED.
TRAGEDY IN ADELAIDE.

ADELAIDE, Sunday.
A dreadful murder, perpetrated at Stirling East some days ago, has been discovered. George Cullen, aged 82 years, who had been living apart from his wife in a house alone, was found by the police dead with his head battered in and a blood-stained axe lying close by. From the state of decomposition of the body it is calculated that the crime was committed about Christmas time. Deceased was supposed to have a deposit receipt of the Bank of Adelaide in his possession. This is missing, but the police consider it likely that he handed it to some person for safe custody. After committing the deed the murderer apparently washed his hands in a basin, locked the doors of the house and carried the keys away. A son of deceased visited the house about a week ago, but finding it locked, concluded that his father had gone on a visit to Adelaide. The son returned on Friday last in company with his brother-in-law, and noticed a strong smell in the vicinity. They reported the matter to the police, who forced an entrance and found the body of Cullen lying on the floor almost nude. No motive except theft has been suggested for the crime. Deceased was a retired gardener and carter, and had lived forty-seven years in the district. An inquest was opened at the Stirling East police station on Saturday. Evidence of identification and the finding of the body was taken, after which an adjournment was granted for ten days. The police are actively engaged investigating the matter.
(Age, January 5, 1903)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom -

Another interesting article! The only thing that gives me pause, though, is that this George Cullen was 82 in 1903, which would make him around 67 in 1888. Dew described 'Squibby' as "a young scoundrel", and I'm not sure I could see a man of 67 darting under market carts and horses legs with the police in hot pursuit.

By chance I ran a quick Google search on "George Cullen" + "Jack the Ripper" and came up with a fellow on a Dublin, Ireland genealogy web site whose great-great-grandfather was a "Robert Cullen." What makes it interesting is that this fellow specifically states that his g-g-gf was "confused with Jack the Ripper" at the time of the murders. Granted, this particular Cullen was apparently a doctor (something Squibby certainly wasn't) but you never know - its possible that the jist of the Squibby story was passed down through the generations and became slightly garbled.

This post can be found at:
http://www.lrbcg.com/jtcullen/PostDubl.htm

Either way, it would be interesting to track down our George and see what became of the Squibb-ster. ;-)

Maybe a job for Chris Scott? :-)

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Excellent work, Stephen, to identify Squibby as George Cullen. It seems to me that in terms of the other Cullen references dug up by Tom Wescott and yourself, it is mere confusion because of Cullen being a common name. In fact, the episode recounted on the Cullen genealogical site that you found, with a Dr. Cullen being mistaken for Jack the Ripper, seems to be one of those clear cases where a medical man was suspected by the local populace because he carried the medical bag that the killer was rumored to carry. I should not think it has any bearing at all on "Squibby" aka George Cullen.

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi CG -

I agree, Cullen is a popular name. Still, considering George Cullen's apparent notoriety with the police it would be interesting to run some checks through the various police ledgers to learn a little more about his crimes and character.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Yes I agree that Squibby aka George Cullen deserves greater scrutiny. One of those apparently peripheral characters in the case, but nonetheless worthy of further attention.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good work Stephen!

This would be just the latest example showing all those who think there's nothing left to find out about this case that we still have a ways to go and that new items can pop up at any time thanks to dedicated researchers.

Not only does it give a name to a side figure in the great drama that played out at the time, but it also does a bit to validate Dew's statements, which should be weighted overall when trying to determine the accuracy of what he said in his autobiography so many years later.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does "Squibby" have a meaning?

Dave

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
I am glad that some validation comes from his account of squibby , his recollections have been ridiculed on this site, in my opinion wrongly.
Mayby now we could take his memory as reasonably accurate when he describes Bowyer as a youth[ which is not possible] but McCarthys son was at the time, and he interviewed or was present at the station when the youth... raced in, also he interviewed the youth.... at the murder site.
In my opinion there is little doubt that the first person in commercial street police on the morning of the 9th November was Mr McCarthys son possibly followed at a distance of time by Thomas Boyer.
And because of the age of Master McCarthy , and the hidious experience he was spared the ordeal of the inquest.
Regards Richard.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Squib is a word with a variety of definitions that imply shortness. For example, a squib was a name for a small explosive charge or a short news item.

As Dew explains: "Squibby " was an associate of notorious young thieves, and although short of stature he was stockily built, and so powerful that we used to call him the Pocket Hercules.

Hi Richard,

I said this new evidence should be weighted overall in judging the veracity of his statements, not that his recollection should overrule known facts about the case. Your McCarthy's son theory is in conflict with contemporary legal testimony recorded in the inquest accounts. Sorry, but you're going to need a lot more to convince me that the idea has any merit at all, let alone that there can be "little doubt" that it's correct.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Dan. "Pocket Hercules" is classic.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan.
The fact remains that Walter Dew describes the person as rushing in the station that morning as a youth, noting Dews age at the time , it is absurd to consider he was refering to Thomas Bowyer who was considerably older than himself as a youth.
He clearly states that on the morning of the 9th November approx 1030 am he when Mrs Mccarthy and young McCarthy were about to enter the court for rent from the occupiers,he instructed Bowyer to check upon the welfare of Kelly, as there appears to have been some concern from the residents?.
it was while Mrs McCarthy and son were further down the court that Bowyer announced his discovery.
He would have immediately summoned the others, and the son who was flight of foot would have reported the incident to his father , who would have despatched his son to run to commercial police station , and not stop for anybody, he then send the not so athletic Bowyer in pursuit.
All this scenerio makes sense to me, and i can see no problem with it regardless of inquest reports. even in the last century young people were spare traumatic events...
Regards Richard.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David--

Squibby -- squib: a small firecracker, one that burns but not explode; a witty speech or lampoon, or a filler article

I think the name "Squibby" probably meant that the fellow was a little dynamo, and in as much as he ran under horses to escape from Dew, that incident is probably is a good indication of his feisty character as well.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

The report you give about the discovery of Kelly's body is at variance with almost every other source for the event -- where did you find it? A couple of the very earliest newspaper reports had Mrs. McCarthy seeking the rent among the tenants and a few elements are also contained in Dew's dubious rendering, but otherwise it is not borne out by later newspaper reports, witness statements or inquest testimony.

Stephen,

Great job to finally identify "Squibby," but I would hesitate to say the story "matches Dew's in every way." Dew's account, as throughout his book, is marked by all manner of exciting details that go far beyond the article's description and contains at least one howler of an anachronism -- the crowd yelling "It's Jack the Ripper."

Dew's account of the Ripper murders remains problematic at best despite the desire of many to cherry-pick among his "facts" and then accept those that accord with their own theories. The "Squibby" story validates Dew's book only to the extent that his reporting that there was a murder in Miller's Court does -- and for Dew that remained the seventh Ripper murder.

In order to forestall what happened with an earlier discussion about the book, I am not suggesting Dew consciously lied (which I was accused of previously). It is just that nearly 50 years after the events, in his 70s, he wrote his memoirs with an obvious eye toward commercial success. He had his memories, probably some notes and almost assuredly some press cliipings -- and proceeded from there. His approach was probably no worse than that of many true-crime authors today; that is, he told a story and tried to make it as compelling as possible -- even if it meant a few embellishments. Thus, there are conversations given that he could never have heard, more than a few florid passages and such stock phrases as that for almost everyone who discovers a Ripper victim -- that he had "eyes nearly bulging from his head."

Again, I can only urge people to treat Dew's memoirs (at least as they touch on JtR) with a certain level of scepticism.
Don.

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Times of 16 September 1886:

At Worship-street, George Squibb, 21, carman, of no fixed home, was charged with feloniously cutting and wounding Ellen Marks with a knife. He was also further charged with violently assaulting Police-constables Brown and Martin, of the H Division. The prosecutrix, a very young woman, who said she was a tailoress living at Duke-street, Spitalfields, had, it appeared, formerly cohabited with the prisoner but had recently left him. He had frequently threatened her with violence because she would not return to him. On the previous night, meeting her in the Commercial-road, he again asked her to go home with him, which she declined to do. He then drew out a pocket knife and stabbed her in two places on the left shoulder. She also exibited an injured arm which she said the prisoner had broken on the previous Saturday. A girl named Bridget Reilly, who was in company of Marks, on seeing the assault followed the prisoner and caught hold of him. He turned round and would have stabbed her in the breast if the blow had not been warded off by her corset. Information having been given to Police-constable Brown, he followed the prisoner who ran into a lodging-house. When he apprehended the prisoner several roughs rushed in and attacked the constable. All of them struck and kicked him until he became quite powerless. Fortunately some other constables then arrived. While the prisoner was being carried through the streets the constebles said that thousands of people mobbed them, throwing brickbats and stones, and rescuing other men who had been taken into custody for assaults. One of the constables (Brown) was now disabled, and two other now complained of having been kicked by the prisoner. The knife alleged to have been used had not been found. The prisoner, who said nothing as to the affair except that the young woman had been drinking with him on the previous hight, was remanded in custody in consequence of the non-attendance of the medical witnesses, upon which Mr. Bushby on the previous day commented strongly, and said he hoped it would be understood that doctors in cases of wounding, &c. would be required to attend to give evidence on first hearings.

The Times of 17 September 1886:

At Worship-street, George Squibb, 19, was brought up on remand from Wednesday on the charge of cutting and wounding a young woman named Ellen Marks, and assaulting with violence two police-constables of the H Division. The evidence in the case has already been published. The prisoner inflicted three wounds upon the woman ( with whom he had previously cohabited) with a pocket-knife. The case was adjourned for the attendance of the surgeon who had dressed the prosecutrix’s wounds. Dr. White, of the London Hospital, now said he found two deep wounds, one on the right arm and another on the shoulder. The two constables stated that they had been incapacitated for duty through the prisoner’s violence; and a police officer informed his Worship that the prisoner had been identified in connexion with a highway robbery last Cristmas Eve. The magistrate could not go into that case, as the person robbed was not present. Mr. Hannay now committed the prisoner on two charges of wounding and assault.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

It is research such as this that gives me hope that one day we will crack this case.

The amount of knowledge and hard fact that has been added to the store of information about the murders by this website is truly staggering.

Congratulations to everyone concerned.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This could be the same man :

"Times" Jan 12th 1893

Robert

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Stepan

George Cullen aka Squibby and George Squibb might have been the same man, although you would think that the police would know the man's correct name and prosecute him under that name, not at different times under the name of George Squibb (1886 and 1893) and George Cullen aka Squibby (1888).

The reported ages vaguely coordinate: George Squibb said to be age 21 and a carman of no fixed abode in September 1886, George Cullen aka Squibby was stated to be age 25 in September 1888, and George Squibb was cited as age 28 in January 1893. Cullen was characterized in 1888 as "a notorious street gambler" while Squibb was described in 1893 as "the most dangerous of a very bad gang of East-end criminals" and the same type of violence was attributed to him in 1886 and in 1893.

Thus, it might be the same man or it might not. It rather defies logic that the same man could be up on trial at the same police court (Worship Street) in the same police district (Met H Division) but under different names.

Is there room to think that Cullen and Squibb could have been two different men, with Cullen perhaps somehow earning his nickname "Squibby" from the notoriety of the better known George Squibb? Note that the ages given for Squibb, 21 in September 1886 and 28 in January 1893, match more readily than the three ages put together. It could be that George Squibb was two years younger than George Cullen aka Squibby. Or am I all wet? laugh

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by chrisg on November 30, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald Souden

You wrote:

"Dew's account, as throughout his book, is marked by all manner of exciting details that go far beyond the article's description and contains at least one howler of an anachronism -- the crowd yelling 'It's Jack the Ripper.'"

Donald, how is this anachronistic? We have a number of examples from press reports of the mob at various times going after different individuals believing they had found the murderer.

Just because the people in the mob were mistaken does not make the incident anachronistic. In fact, inasmuch as an "anachronism" is something that is out of time, such incidents were of the time, even if the mob was mislead in its suspicions.

Best regards

Chris George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris -

I think Donald's point was that they called Squibby "Jack the Ripper" instead of "Whitechapel murderer" or "Leather Apron". Consdering this occurred on September 8th (possibly 9th), the name "Jack the Ripper" supposedly didn't yet exist.

Nevertheless I don't consider that a serious fault in Dew's recollections... the point wasn't so much that they were screaming "Jack the Ripper" but rather that the mob was convinced this was the man who would later be known as Jack the Ripper. In fact, Dew got a surprising number of facts right in relation to George Cullen's arrest, 50 years after the fact - namely his age and description, his nickname, the date and location of the chase, the detail of running through "market carts and horses legs", the details surrounding Squibby's original crime, the details surrounding the mob's actions during the day, and even the sentence of 3 months' imprisonment. I would say this means one of two things - either Dew had an exceptional memory, as some would suggest, or Dew simply used a press cutting (or journal entry) of this incident as a research aid when writing his memoirs. Either way I would agree that the corroboration of the Squibby story in practically every detail should make us consider Dew's memoirs in a slightly more favorable light.

Donald Souden
Inspector

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris & Stephen,

Yes, the anachronism I referred to was the use of Jack the Ripper several weeks before that name appeared in print. My intention in pointing that out was to suggest that throughout his memoirs Dew sought to make his account "a crackling good tale" and he certainly succeeded. Despite an overall redolence of an earlier time, even for 1938, the prose is exciting to read.

But, those very embellishments cause me, at least, to wonder how much veracity can be placed in the details. The capture of Squibby is a case in point: it is a thrilling narrative, but was he really tripped, did he then take the time while in hot pursuit to bludgeon the fellow with his truncheon and did that fellow then crash through a shop window and so on?

With all due (Dew?) respect, I still don't find the Inspector's story corroborated in every detail. But as disagreements go on these boards ours is rather mild and -- I hope -- quite amicable.

Don.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald -

Honestly, I had the same feeling as you before I came across the police brief in the Morning Advertiser - that Dew's story smacked of Victorian melodrama. But in the case of Squibby at least, I think Dew has been vindicated. Just my opinion of course. ;-)

I don't see how we can classify details such as Dew being tripped, or his pushing the offender through a plate-glass window, as "embellishments" just because they weren't specifically mentioned in a press report. Truly, I would have considered Squibby "darting through horses' legs" as a melodramatic embellishment, but there it is plain as day in the Advertiser.

Of course, I'm not suggesting we automatically take Dew's word as gospel - undoubtedly embellishments did seep into the text, as they did in virtually all Victorian (and indeed modern) memoirs - but in this one isolated case, again, I think Dew had a remarkable grasp of the facts some 50 years after the incident occurred. That's the only point I wanted to make.

(And of course its an amicable disagreement!)

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a sidenote, there is a possible identification of Squibby's unintended victim, Betsy Goldstein available at www.british-jewry.org.uk.

A "Betsy Goldstein", age 16, appears in the 1891 census as living in Rothschild Buidings, in the vicinity of Flower and Dean Street. If this is indeed our Betsy, that would make her 13 at the time of the incident with George Cullen. So at least in terms of name, age (she was described as a "youth") and location, this Betsy is a pretty good match to what we would expect to find.

1891 census Rothschild Buildings

No 38

Jacob Goldstein head 47 cigar maker Holland Amsterdam,
Leah Goldstein wife 39 Holland Amsterdam,
Betsy Goldstein 16 tailoress London,
David Goldstein 13 scholar London,
Isaac Goldstein 8 scholar London,
Aaron Goldstein 6 scholar London,
Henry Goldstein 4 London,
Benjamin Goldstein 2 London,

Judeth Draajen mother in law widow 62 Holland Amsterdam

Courtesy:
http://www.british-jewry.org.uk/New%20Member%20Area/Gaby%20Laws/rothschild_buildings.htm

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 4:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donald said"Yes, the anachronism I referred to was the use of Jack the Ripper several weeks before that name appeared in print."

As suggested by Andy and Sue Parlour, maybe the name was already on the streets. It is very possible that the journalist who wrote the "dear boss" letter didn't invent the name but used it after hearing it on the streets.

Best Wishes,

Lee

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 5:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

At present we have no enough information to assert definitely identity of Cullen and Squibb.

For example, in 1881 one George Squibbs was in "Her Majesty's Prison" (Clerkenwell).

1881 Census:

George SQUIBBS
b. 1863
Birthplace: Weymouth, Dorset, England

Is he Squibby (Cullen) or George Squibb? I don't know.

Stepan

Donald Souden
Inspector

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee,

You will note that the newspaper story Stephen discovered says that the cries were "it's the murderer" and so on. The name "Jack the Ripper" was so evocative of the horror he was wreaking that once it saw print in the letter it spread around the globe within weeks. If it were in any general use before the letter I am confident one or another enterprising journalist would have leapt upon the term.

Don.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lee -

I tend to agree with Don. Going through the early- and mid-September press reports, there are literally dozens of stories in the police blotters where husbands threaten to "Whitechapel" their wives, or where drunks claim to be "Leather Apron" just to scare a girl, and get hauled up before a magistrate because of it. If "Jack the Ripper" really was a term being used by the locals before the Dear Boss letter was released, I would think it would have appeared in the press, or in some written document. There was just too much being written about the murders throughout the month of September for such an obviously marketable name not to be immediately jumped upon by the press.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald

Many thanks for clarifying what you meant when you said Dew's use of the term "Jack the Ripper" for an incident in early September is anachronistic -- yes, of course, you are right. Good point.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is just an an idle observation, but young women with the name of Goldstein seem to have been magnets for trouble in Whitechapel.

A tailor named James Henderson brutally beat an unfortunate named Rosa Goldstein, threatening to rip her up. Rosa appeared in court with a heavily bandaged head and appeared weak from loss of blood. Henderson was given a light sentence because he was drunk at the time of the attack and the magistrate reckoned the incident was out of character for him.

Nathan Reuben held a Polish immigrant named Anne Goldstein captive in his room for five weeks. Four months after arriving in G.B., Anne thought she was entering into a domestic service situation with Reuben but instead found herself a prisoner. In a way, I guess she did find herself engaged in domestic service--Reuben sold her into prostitution during her captivity and had johns turning up in her bedroom. Detective-sgt. Thick handled this particular case.

Then there's Betsy Goldstein here, which makes three troubled Goldsteins during the Autumn of Terror. Goldstein must have been a very common name in Whitechapel.

Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

I believe your assumption is correct, that "Goldstein" is a common Jewish name, like Smith among gentiles. It is surprising how many Jews in London were named "Barnett." The "M. Barnett" mentioned on another thread who is said to have been a property owner in Miller's Court, was probably a Jewish Barnett not related to Mary's Joe Barnett, who apparently had an Irish background. "Hyams" or "Hyam" is another common Jewish name (vide Hyam Levy about whom Mark King has written), and there actually was an individual named Hyam Hyams! (Per The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger).

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick note on 'Squibby'.
In 1886 George Squibb's age is given as 21 but also 19.
What I found remarkable was that George Squibb's encounter with Ellen Marks in Commercial Road at night sounds just like Liz Stride's encounter with her unknown attacker, and it could have easily ended up with her death.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.