Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Poveretta Sketch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Sickert, Walter » Poveretta Sketch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked at the picture listed in the link. It is difficult to tell if there is a shadow or a person behind the lady. I am distressed with the overall theme of the sketch because I believe that the purpose is humiliation. First of all the lady is named "Poveretta" indicating powerlessness. The whole picture screams vulnerability. She is dehumanized and degraded. You may say that that is too subjective, but that is what art is about, being subjective.

Having said that, I dont think you can make Sickert the Ripper based on this sketch. I dont like what it seems to suggest about his attitude toward women. But being a misogynist is not enough by itself.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True, true, Diana.

I agree with your interpretation of the picture and as you say, a case can't be built solely on elements like these -- especially not when they are open to subjective reading.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Want to buy some pegs, Dave?"
Papa Lazarou

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn and Diana

In case anyone is wondering the Sickert sketch is at

"Poveretta"

I would have to agree that there does appear to be a man standing behind "Poveretta." Presumably the artist meant to show male physical and sexual dominance over the woman. I would agree that this is no indication that Sickert was the Ripper but the sketch is on the disturbing side, intentionally so, I should say on the artist's part.

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you guys looking at the small version or the large version?

I could see how someone could think there was a person there behind her in the small version if the idea was already planted into one's head, but the bigger one is clearer.

In the large version all I see is sketchy line work and shading and nothing whatsoever to indicate a man hiding behind her, misogyny or anything like that... it's a nude with rough lines.

"Poveretta" doesn't quite mean "powerlessness" as much as it means pauper or, like it sounds, someone in poverty. That's a reasonable term for a prostitute, as many of the nudes were meant to be based upon who he had modelling for them. He also used the word in the title of an earlier painting, which, while also conveying powerlessness in a way, can't be seen as misogynistic.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

I've looked at both the large and small versions of the sketch. To me, it looks as if there is another figure, in dark shading, behind the female nude, behind and to the left of the nude as we look straight ahead at the sketch, and the person appears to me to be a male. I agree that the conclusion is not definite but there is the curve of a head and marks that seem to show hair (or baldness), sketched in with strokes not unlike those done to indicate hair on the female, and others that seem to indicate an ear. Dan, are you ready to drive over with the white coat and the van now, or what? yikes

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

I can't see a figure behind the woman in this sketch.. just looks like dark shading, or shadow, perhaps... I do know that I need to get glasses (just putting it off, you understand)

Bestest,

Lyn

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At best I can see a figure that seems to be leaning over the woman's right shoulder with its chin on her shoulder fairly plastered to the contours of her body (the shadowing). I don't know if I would have seen this, however, if it hadn't already been suggested.

Let's remember that Sickert was an artist and it was his job to make us look closely and to do more than give us a photographic representation of reality. That may be the deliberate suggestion of Man (all the Johns who have opressed her) or even the Spector of Poverty or some such clinging to her like a shadow.Or of course it might just be a shadow.

I have no doubt that Sickert was a-sorry!- sick bastard with a macabre sense of humor and a deep interest in this case and probably all crime cases,which he indulged in his work. If he knew that we would be searching for clues he'd proably get a big charge out of it.
Mags

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I can still only see shadowing in this picture..
Somebody please point out to me exactly how I can see a figure.. (maybe if I do that cross-eyed thing..like you have to with 3D pics)

I want to see what the rest of you see!

Lyn

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn-

If you look at the pencil marks to the woman's right-- just about in line with her eyes is a C shaped thing that could be the man's right ear. Above that is the suggestion of hair- sort of short and smoothed down with a part on his right.

That's how I see it, anyway.
Mags

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags,

I still just see pencil shading...
I guess I'm just a no-hoper here!

Bestest,

Lyn

Tommy Nilsson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana!

You are right, it is about humiliation. You can be sure that there is a man behind her, his right hand/fingers on her right shoulder, pointing at her mouth or neck, or both?
There is nearly always a lot of hidden information in Sickerts work pointing towards different kinds of humiliation of women. This is only one of them.

Regards, Tommy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.