Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

24 Aldgate High Street? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » 24 Aldgate High Street? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the uncomfortable feeling that I might have given birth to this new theory:

'Things get a little eerie. There is also the odd coincidence of Katerine Eddows death. On the night she was killed she had been arrested for drunk and disorderly at 24 Aldgate High Street. After her release she walked back in that direction, only to find Jack the Ripper in the fog. Over the past few weeks Katherine had had a little more money than usual, and had been boasting that she'd collect the reward for the identity of Jack The Ripper because she knew him. Now he's the coincidence. City of London, Whitechapel District lists among the inhabitants of 24 Aldgate High Street, one Thomas Cutbush.'

Available at 'Kimberleys Fang Forum' on the net.
I just wish the guy was right.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it was 29 where poor Kate was slumped, AP.

Robert

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number 24 was known as the "Bull Inn Yard" The premise was a livery stable with enclosures next to no. 25, the Bull Inn, which functioned as a coaching inn up until the late 1870s. An oilman, Matthew Lee, shared no. 24 with a "Solomon Zimmerman, a rag merchant until 1889, when the premise was taken over by a tailor, Solomon Davison. The Inn and stables were abandoned after 1890.

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

How do you figure Eddowes was financially flush? She'd been hop picking (evidently none too rewardingly) for several weeks, returned to London with Kelly and she spent the night in a casual ward. The next day Kelly pawned a pair of boots and they used it for breakfast and to buy some tea and sugar. That doesn't sound like someone who'd come into money.

Don.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott, thanks for that information.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, thanks Scott also.
Robert, it was 29 but I thought just maybe this guy had found Thomas Cutbush at 24 and then shifted the numbers to suit his theory.
If he did find Tom Tom at 24 then I want to know about it.
Don... sorry, perhaps how I've written it in the book is confusing. Obviously I meant that after her streak of bad luck for the previous two days - which you detail - she suddenly found enough loot to get howling drunk, remember she couldn't stand up and had to be supported by the arresting officer. Of course she may have turned a 'trick' during the course of the afternoon and that would explain her sudden coming into money, or of course the statement she made about knowing the identity of Jack may well have been true and she had begun to squeeze the suspectfor cash. Remember there was a reward, which if she did know the identity she could have claimed, but if this is the scenario then she obviously thought the reward would be greater by blackmailing the suspect rather than turning him in. Whatever, it is a great mystery, with particular regard to her efforts to reach Aldgate High Street.
As you probably know I have always felt that Eddowes had a destination that night, she just didn't expect it to become a permanent one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.