Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Joseph Barnett Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Joseph Barnett « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith Barnard
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the people who think that the police in 1888 would have picked up some suspicious behaviour in Joseph Barnett after questioning him, would do well to remember the case of the Yorkshire Ripper whom the police- in our own time as well- questioned Peter sutcliffe some 9 times, and, let him go on after each occasion. For me Joseph Barnett remains the most likely suspect - not least because he lived and knew the area where the murders were committed.

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Keith.

I don't follow. Thousands of people lived in and knew the area where the murders were committed. That doesn't point to Barnett any more than anyone else.

I'd agree with you though that simply having been questioned by the police and discounted as a suspect wouldn't necessarily mean that someone wasn't the killer.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 907
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Keith/Dan,
I am glad that you both agree that just because Barnett was not suspected by the police of being the killer of kelly, that he was innocent.
What we know of Barnett suggests that he was proberly a cunning man, that could conduct a respectable presence when required, he shows at the inquest that he thought out his answers carefully, infact the repeating of the last line of a question , before answering shows his brain proberly working overtime.
It has never been ascertained where Barnett disapeared to shortly after the events at millers court, he seems to have vanished for 18years.
I have always wondered if he kept out of the way for safety reasons, as it was believed by some in the immediate vacinity that the kelly murder was committed through an act of Jealously.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard-
Ok Barnett was probably a sort of cunning chap but who wasn't?..... living in the environs of Dorset St,... as to his respectable prescence at the inquest....he obviously put on his (or borrowed!) best clothes so as to be seen/drawn well!
Is there any information as to where Joe went during the 18 yrs after the murder?.....is this relevant? If Joe wasnt guilty...then perhaps he just carried on with his life selling the odd orange and playing the odd game of whist!!
Notwithstanding I do feel that the MJK murder was one of jealousy...but maybe not Joe B....for what that's worth!
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 908
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,
We have no record of Barnett from after the inquest untill 1906, eighteen years is a lot of missing gaps, it is intresting that the murder at millers court was considered by some , not to have been part of the series, but a crime of jealously, or passion, I wonder where that roumour
started?.
We only know three contenders in her life during that period Fleming,Lawrence, Barnett, so one of them would have been the jealous guy.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 881
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard
At the end of the day I still have to think that Martha was No 1 and that Mary (bless her HEART!!!!)
was actually nothing to do with the whole thing
at all!and in my heart of hearts neither was Liz!!!

Mr Flemming though is I guess an interesting ,if somewhat grey character! Try as I may I cant find too much information on Joe F
Best
Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.