Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Druitt's fellow teachers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » Druitt's fellow teachers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the 1881 listing for Valentine's school at Blackheath one other master is listed - Mark Mann. However as this is 7 years before the murders there is no telling that Mann was still working with Druitt at the time of his dismissal and suicide.
I have found this personal advert from The Times which may give details of a fellow teacher who knew Druitt nearer the time of his death. The teacher in question took his Finals in 1887 and this advert is dated 1890 so would fit the frame timewise.
Chris

Times 12 September 1890

Classified Advertising: Education

PRIVATE TUITION:
Mr. E.S. Craig, M.A., Ist Class Honours Mathematical Moderations, 1884, and Finals, 1887, formerly scholar of University College, Oxford, late Mathematical Master at Eliot Place School, Blackheath, is prepared to take a few pupils, resident or non resident, for all Army, Civil Service, or other examinations; also for mathematical or science scholarships, or any University examinations in these subjects. The classical work of Mr. Craig's pupils will be undertaken by Mr. St. George Stock, M.A., Oxford. Special advantages for scientific studies.
Address: 6 Museum Villas, Oxford.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The following two adverts placed by Valentine mught be of interest:

1) 8 September 1883

gva

2) 18 April 1887

gvb

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See below details of the Mr. Craig who worked at Valentine's school
Chris

craigox

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

As usual, great information. There was an interesting discussion regarding Druitt in the chat room on Tuesday. Everyone needs to check out the new information that you've found.

Mikey

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edwin Stewart Craig

1891 Census:
6 Museum Road, Oxford
Head:
Elizabeth Johnson aged 42 - Widow - born Farnham, Surrey - Lodging house keeper
Mother:
Sarah Gall - aged 76 - Widow - born Alderley, Cheshire
Lodgers:
Edwin Stewart Craig aged 25 born Ireland - Single - Tutor in mathematics and natural science
Henry Wilkinson Moore aged 40 - Single - born Ireland - Architect

1901 census:
28 Holywell Street, Oxford
Head:
Edwin S. Craig aged 35 born Ireland - College tutor and examiner
Wife:
Sophia Craig aged 32 born Ireland
Servants:
Rose Cobwin aged 31 born Kentish Town,.London - Cook/Domestic
Eleanor Warner aged 20 born Minster Lovell, Oxford - Parlourmaid

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, it would be interesting to know whether and just when Valentine advertised for Monty's replacement. All I can find in the "Times" is an advert on April 10 1889 seeking an assistant master to teach maths and English - 150 pounds plus board and rooms - which is a few months too late.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Monty was listed as teaching in the school in April 1881 (the census) so the advert, if there was one, would be well before then
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I meant, when would Valentine have started advertising for a replacement for Monty, after Monty's dismissal? It might give us an idea as to when Monty got into trouble at the school. E.g. if the adverts only started appearing after the beginning of December, that would suggest a late dismissal. November adverts would suggest an earlier dismissal, with Monty working out his notice.

Robert

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to be a teacher. Of course this is America and its 2004, but anyway teachers are usually hired for a one year contract. Every year in the spring that contract is up for renewal. When a teacher leaves in the middle of the year it is usually pretty hard to find a replacement. Often the position stays vacant until another contract time rolls around and there are unemployed teachers and new graduates available.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it not possible that, given the sensational nature of Monty losing the post at Valentine's school (the scandal of his dismissal, followed by his suicide - not the issue of his possibly being the Ripper) doesn't it seem more likely that Valentine himself took over Monty's classes, until a quieter period of time had arrived (say the following summer) when he could hire a replacement without reminding people of the tragedy?

Jeff

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, a crazy though just entered my mind about Mr. Edwin Craig. He was born in Belfast in 1865. Is it possible that he is a relative of Captain James Craig, the Belfast Unionist who fought Home Rule, and eventually helped force the creation of Northern Ireland, becoming it's first Prime Minister?

Any ideas Chris?

Jeff

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumping the gun a little, as there is no proof (aside from name and location of birth) that Edwin Craig was the relative of James Craig, Lord Craigavon (first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland), I looked up a bit about James Craig in two books, JAMES CRAIG, LORD CRAIGAVON by Patrick Buckland (Gill's Irish Lives) (Dublin, Gill and MacMillan, 1980) and A STATE OF DISUNION by Carlton Younger (Fontana, Collins, 1972). James Craig is a contemporary of Edwin (he was born in January 1871, Edwin in 1865). James was born in Co. Down, outside of Belfast. James Craig was in a family of eight sons and one daughter. He was the sixth son. His oldest brother was named Clarence (no other names of brothers are given except for a brother Charles Curtis Craig). THe family (besides being Protestant) were wealthy - James Craig's father was a wealthy distillery owner. None of this may turn out to be connected to Edwin, but it might possibly link up.

Jeff

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've often wondered who the two men were who showed up as mourners at Druitt's funeral (listed as 'Mr. J.T. Homer' and 'Mr. Wyke-Smith' in the Southern Guardian). I still don't know who Homer was; although he evidently wasn't an Oxford man. It seems to me that Wyke-Smith was almost certainly the local Wimborne, Dorset physician Walter Wykesmith, aged 45 with wife & kids. There doesn't seem to have been a coalition from Blackheath, although I'm not sure we can draw any conclusions from that. RP

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello R.J.Palmer.
I agree, Mr Wyke-Smith is almost certainly the Wimborne Druitt family physician.
As I have posted elsewhere, Wyke-Smith also attended Montague Druitt's brother, Edward's wedding -to the daughter of the squire of Chideock Dorset, Sir Frederick Weld in early 1887.
None of the Druitt family attended, because (probably) they were strong Masons and anti-Catholic. The Welds were prominent Catholics, related to the Vaughans.
What also interests me RJ, is how Montague got to be buried in Wimborne Cemetery if he committed suicide? Wasn't that considered a sin in the Church of England at that time?
And would it have been a criminal offence in 1888 (should he not have succeeded)?
Two ordained ministers were in attendance at his funeral.

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry if I have skewed things from the "fellow teacher" thread. But hopefully, all this digging is designed to track down Montague Druitt's "friends" who allegedly alerted the police about their concerns at Monty's disappearance.
All this searching for Eliot Place School master
seeking advertisements, may well throw light on the time frame of things for MJ Druitt's last days.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I have found reports of people being charged with attempted suicide about that time. When I can, I'll transcribe one of the shorter ones.

Monty was well-connected and mentally ill, so I guess his place of burial is understandable.

Robert

David Andersen
Sergeant
Username: Davida

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cemetery in which Montague is buried is non-conformist and would have accepted suicides. You may find the recent postings on Montague Druitts Grave - on this board - interesting.
Regards
David

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

Yes, curious about the cost of the burial. But what was the Rev. Huyshe doing conducting a service in a non-conformist cemetery? Wasn't Huyshe an Anglican? (I'm a bit hazy on church matters)

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re attempted suicide, here are two reports from the "Times" - Dec 14th 1893 and Mar 23 1896 :

suicide 1

suicide 2

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that those who succeeded were let off with a warning.

Robert

d g cornelius
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.C. Linford:

Given Mr Martin's profession as a phrenologist, one would think he would have had a better idea of where to aim the hammer.

respex
d g cornelius

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.