Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

1876 Picture Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Tumblety, Francis » 1876 Picture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This article is from the Bucks County Gazette of 20 December 1888 and carries a picture of Tumblety as he was in 1876 and an extraordinary sight it is! As I had not seen this before I thought I would post it
Chris

tum76

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My god! Looks like Atilla the Hun! :-)

Excellent find, Chris - this puts an entirely new look on Tumblety...
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

This is great. A whole new look for the geezer. And yet, in a way, perhaps not out of keeping for the old roué if we remember his picture with him waltzing down the street with the greyhound beside him. blush

I am planning a new article for Ripperologist on Dr. Tumblety and we may wish to use the image there.

All the best

Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Stephen
Glad the find was of interest and it certainly is a memorable face!!!
I have forwarded the article to Paul Begg as part of regular Ripperologist stuff so if you want to use it, Chris, feel free.
All the best
Chris

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The internet is probably raising heck with the copyright laws, but Paul might want to check with ancestry.com before reproducing the image. Cheers.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first question is what is the Chicago newspaper that first showed this drawing (obviously a drawing based on the photograph of 1875). The Doctor must have been using mustache wax at the time, but boy is his hair really long. And what a peculiar tunic and pattern.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 6:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great find, Chris. Considering how narcissistic Tumblety was, it's amazing we have so few images of him.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny, I think he looks like Wild Bill Hickock a bit.
If that picture shows us anything, it's that -- even though this is a young picture -- he certainly doesen't fit the few possible descriptions we have of what could be Jack the Ripper and it also implies that the extraordinary features we've seen on other pictures of him, is a consistent element in his physical appearance throughout the periods in his life.

Yes, that is undoubtedly moustache wax -- I know because I use it myself on occasion -- and so it is probably on the other pictures as well; or else he wouldn't have been able bend the ends in all kinds of directions.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

How about Wild Frank Tumblety? lol

All the best

Chris

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Yes, something tells me that is a name Tumblety himself would have appreciated...

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 10, 2004)
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again all

I see there is an outfit called Picture History which show the big bushy mustached portrait of Tumblety with his chest of medals. They appear to imply that the "fine print illustration" that they date to 1870 is based on an image by photographer Matthew Brady. See http://www.picturehistory.com/find/p/20667/mcms.html I wonder where they get that information?

That same illustration is shown in Evans and Gainey's book as being the cover illustration to Dr. T's 1889 pamphlet, which would seem more reasonable as a date for the image. It would appear to show an older man than the 1876 illustration of the good doctor that Chris Scott has unearthed.

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article begins "There is another picture of Tumblety". Does this imply that the same paper may have previously published a different picture of him?

Robert

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert. Yes. The other picture is the one with the greyhound, from The New York World article, reprinted in Evans & Gainey

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 3:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ

Thanks for that.

Robert

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI ALL,

Interesting picture. I think he was going for the Wild Bill look glenn. I went too picture history like chris suggested and I read the caption beside the picture. They claim that Tumblety was a con man who used many disguisses. I was wondering if this was true. If it is we can not go by any picture we see of him. We do not know how he looked in 1888. If he was Jack the ripper I doubt he would walk around WC looking like Wild Bill Hitcock. I know the master of disguiss theory is often claimed by people who support suspects who really do not fit any discription we have of the ripper. I know Cornwell claimed that Sickert was a master of disguies from his days as an actor. I think we can safely say that Tumblety would have been a little smarter and taken some percautions not to stand out if he was the ripper. It strikes me that Dr.T might be the sort of fellow who liked too mug it up when his picture was taken. a interesting picture Chris.

Have a happy and safe Easter, CB

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great find! And he certaintly qualifies as "foreign looking."
Regards, Vincent

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm unfamiliar with this portrait of Tumblety from Crime Library, which is a common site so it's probably been seen. I always figure if it's new to me it might be new to somebody else...tumblety
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it sure was new to me, Kelly.

Funny, he almost looks like (dear I say it...?) Sickert in his older days...

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3201
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could be wrong, but I think that's an error on the part of Crime Library. They label the above image as being from the cover of Tumblety's 1889 pamphlet, but that pamphlet actually showed the most "famous" illustration of Tumblety, the one reproduced in all the books and on the Casebook's suspect page.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2833
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe you're right, Spry.
We know what the portrait on that cover looks like, and that's not it.
If that is what they are stating, I'd say as well that they have gotten things a bit confused. (And, honestly, I believe it wouldn't be the first time.)

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn is actually right - that's a drawing of Sickert, not Tumblety. CL must have mislabeled it.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that explains it, then. I thought it looked weird, but the images we have are so different looking. I thought someone at Crime Library had a different pamphlet!
Thanks guys.
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 2:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly and Spry

Then again, could Tumblety and Sickert have been doubles, able to change clothes at the wink of an eye, twins separated at birth? The possibilities multiply! blush

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Phil Hill
Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris - looking at their ages and appearance, NO!! But no doubt your musings will fire someone with a fresh theory.

A new Comedy of Errors maybe, with Eddy and Druitt and Tumblety and Sickert as two sets of identical twins separated at birth. Now a vengeful Queen Victoria (Vic the Rip as she was known to her sidekick Salisbury) is searching for them through the street of her fog enshrouded capital....

Jango Davis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this picture of an old advertisement for "Dr. Tumbelty's Pimple Banisher" on a Tumilty family genealogy website. Family speculates it could be the same Ripper suspect Dr. Tumbelty

Picture link:

http://www.acad.humberc.on.ca/~ttumilty/tumblets.jpg

Website http://www.acad.humberc.on.ca/~ttumilty/

jewels kish
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i realy dont think it was tumblety jack the ripper.my gesture is satanic ritual killings .

Kronocide
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice find. I'm noticing that the author dismisses Tumblety as a Ripper suspect in a manner indicating that they believe he can't be the killer (hence the finishing question). Does anyone know why? That is, how did the story go in US media, how did it end? Was there a consensus as to T's guilt?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.