Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Francis Thompson info? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Thompson, Francis » Francis Thompson info? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter J. Tabord
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 7:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I've mentioned a couple of times that Francis Thompson looks to me the most interesting of the 'famous' suspects. However, this is based just on his suspect profile on the Casebook. Can anyone point me to any further in-depth stuff about him, or haa anyone any relevant information (for or against him as a candidate) they wish to put forward?

Regards

Pete

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pete
There is a lengthy piece on Thompson here on the Casebook at
http://casebook.org/suspects/ft.html

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pete
The article mentioned above says at one point:
In the Autumn of 1878 Thompson entered his name on the Manchester Royal Infirmary registrar. The infirmary, in which he studied for the next six years as a surgeon

In fact he is listed in the 1881 census as a Medical Student but with his family as follows:

The Surgery, 224 Stamford Street, Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire
Head:
Charles Thompson aged 57 born Rutland
Widowed
Surgeon MRCS LAC
Children:
Francis J Thompson aged 21 born Preston - Medical student
Mary aged 19 born Preston
Margaret aged 16 born Preston
Servants:
Rosa W Cox aged 19 born Nottingham - Cook
Jane Hughs aged 22 born Wales - Housemaid
Chris

Peter J. Tabord
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 5:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks, yes I had read that. I was a bit suspicious of the 'thinks he is God' motive, since it seems quite possible he was 'merely' sexually inadequate. But I suppose the two things might overlap in one as religious as he seems to be.

He seems to have quite a lot going for him :

Right age
Right height
Proximity
Strange behavior
Surgical experience
Opium addict
'Shabby genteel'?
Boasted about having scalpel(s?) and leather apron
Boasted about consorting with prostitutes (succesfully?)
Claimed to have been scouring Whitechapel for a 'lost love' at the time of the murders
Removed from scene at about the right time
Wrote about the hunting down, disembowelling and ritual sacrifice of women. (Explicitily - no 'artistic interpretation' needed)
'Thing' about neckties (possible use for strangulation?)
And, just to round out the issue, a suspicious death.

He was not, of course, suspected at the time or directly linked to the murders in any way.

What I'll do is see if I can track any independant biographies on him and see if the above 'causes for suspicion' can be confirmed.

Regards

Pete

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pete
Will be interested to see what you find.
Below is a pic of Thompson
Chris

fthomp

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back then, if someone committed murder but reached a sanctuary then they could avoid arrest. It was reasoned that if a suspect was truly guilty then their fate was under the jurisdiction not of the sherrif, but of God. If a suspect could enter sacred ground without suffering a blight from heaven then it was reasoned that they must be innocent.

Any chance after the Mitre square killing that he would have been headed in the direction of the church and on his way there dropped the apron in Goulston st?
Chris

Paul Jackson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Guys.

Ive been getting more interested in Thompson recently, as well. Chris, Thanks for the pic.

Paul

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Beloe is the cover of an Italian edition of Thompson's poems which has a younger pic of him
Chris

ft2

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Peter

If I remember right, according to a BBC radio programme last year Thompson was nursed back to health by a prostitute after a failed suicide attempt. They set up home together, but she left him when his poems began to attract attention - perhaps lest she hold him back.

Robert

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Peter,

I Find Thompson a very interesting character as well and I think as an artistic suspect he's probably more viable than Walter Sickert.
I 'm from the same area as Thompson,I used to work for a company in Stamford Street Ashton u Lyne where Thompson lived as a child ,and also have been to the infirmary many times where Thompson studied surgery.
I posted my thoughts recently which mirrored yours on a thread without much responce( I went away tail between legs).
I also found the following

http://www.geocities.com/darkly_burning/2002.html

I've also got some photos other than the above somewhere on my hard disk,But its full of all sorts ,I use my Mac as part of a recording studio,and I've got 3 hard drives full of songs and junk,however if I retrieve them I'll post.

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

I found one,
thompson pic when he was older.

thompson pic

Peter J. Tabord
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carl

Thanks for that, fascinating.

Here I suppose is the 'orthodox' view of Thompson:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14703b.htm

There seems to be quite a bit available about him - I'll keep digging. Looks like its too late to write a book though :-)

Regards

Pete

Lenny Picker
Police Constable
Username: Mycroft

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have run across a reference from a Paradox Press to an Australian book espousing the Thompson-the-Ripper theory - has anyone read it? Does anyone know of any reviews?
Thanks

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mr.Picker
Yes,I have read Richard Patterson's book on Thompson. What Richard has told me via e-mail,is that he intends to re-work the book,which is currently in a spiral spined, magazine format and that he is going to do more research into F.T.
Rich's book has a lot of Thompson's poems and information on his sad decline into a personal hell...He weighed 70 pounds when he died.
If someone follows my post with the desire to expand on the book,so be it. However,Mr.Picker,should you wish to ask me some questions,feel free to P.M. me and I will be happy to comply with your inquiries.
Take care....

Carl burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 5:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the interesting things regarding Thompson is
....look at the eyes on the picture above when he was about the right age for the crimes..they apper to me really intense and glowing..theres a thread recently on the boards regarding the man seen in Mitre square,I dont remember the description word for word without looking it up, but it was noted the man had peculiar glowing eyes, Barnett,D'onston and Tumblety have been speculatively proposed on the same thread, but I think the above picture certainly suggests Thompson to fit that particular description. Also reference to snow like skin,hieght and interestingly,one witness account of a suspect uttering the words " you will say anything but your prayers". Who out of the known suspects has a religious connection also? If nothing else Thompson seems to cover a lot of bases,maybe a lot of coincidence but I think he is worthy of further investigation.

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Who out of the known suspects has a religious connection also?---from Mr.Burrows, above

Just my two cents,Mr.Burrows,RDS did write the 1904 book,the Patristic Gospels...and was hooked up with Mrs. Woodhull after 1888....

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

My apoligies! I did'nt realise

The funny thing is the last Ripper book I read was Regarding D'onston,The Black magic rituals, it mentions the gospels in the appendix but not in the main story as I remember.
However I do find probably like yourself, D'onston an interesting character, anyone who can mix Black magic and religion in on lifetime must be off his rocker.

lauren knight
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Francis Thompsons' motto was;
"Every Scope, by immoderate use, turns to restraint". Can any one explain to me how this is similar to that of 'Jack the Ripper' quote;
"I shant quit ripping them till i do get buckled"?
Ta chuckies.

S. Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Is it just me , or is Francis Thompson the most underated suspect ever. His profile is more eyecatching to me than James Maybrick and that silly diary. Yet the number of posts for Maybrick is 6450 and for Thompson it is 22. This I can't figure out. He has more going for him than Druitt as a suspect. I am just wondering is there some sort of conspiracy keeping out of the limelight? Whats the go?

allerteuerste
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

apart from the fact that thomspon definetely was a seriously ill person and probably to weak to commit any of the crimes there is just one thing more which keeps me from regarding thompson as a
possible ripper suspect - he was LEFT handed whereas the ripper appears to have been RIGHT handed.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.