Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kosminski"s Literacy Skills Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kosminski, Aaron » Kosminski"s Literacy Skills « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 3:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bullwinkle,
Below is a direct quote from Paul Begg"s book,JtR,The Definitive History:
[page269]
February 1891
.......Three days later,In the morning of
7th February,Aaron was discharged to Colney Hatch,where the details entered onto the "Register of Admissions" provides much of the information given above,but adds:
Education: R&W,
Time insane:6years [ie,since 1885];
physical disorder:self-abuse;
form of disorder:mania
symptoms:incoherence;
bodily state:fair.

The male patients Day Book new series adds,"If first attack,no;previous treatment,Mile End Old Town Workhouse July 1890,Duration of attack 6 months[somebody added in red ink"6 years".Supposed cause unknown[again in red:self abuse];Subject to epilepsy:no Suicidal:no;Dangerous to others:no; Any relative afflcted with insanity: not known: nearest known relative:Woolf Kosminski, 8 Sion Square, Commercial Road East".
end of quote
The next few pages go on to describe aural hallucinations about his being "guided and controlled by an instinct that informs his mind
and some detailed reports viz;
1.4.14 patient has hallucinations of sight and hearing,is very excitable and troublesome at times,very untidy,bodily conditions fair.
The Greater London Record office possesses several documents relating to Aaron Kosminski"s burial arrangements.The undertaker was a Mr Friedlander of Duke Street,United Synagogue,London.Another document is dated 30 March 1919,from G. Friedlander, Sexton,Officer of Burial Society,St. James Place, Aldgate EC3 to AJ Freeman, Leavesdon Asylum,acknowledging receipt of a certificate dated 28 March registering Aaron Kosminski"s death.
With regard to Aaron"s literacy skills its true that it was probably his brother who told them this but there is nothing later to suggest it wasnt the case eg nothing ammended ir crossed out as was the case over the length of his illness.
The only thing I noticed was they didnt put 3"Rs
which would have included Arithmetic. However school"s at that time in Englant were either voluntary aided or Board schools and I suspect Aaron would have attended a "voluntary aided Church School or perhaps the Jewish Community educated their children to be able to read the Old Testament and concentrated mostly on them being able to read and write.
Best Wishes.
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 3:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just realised that Aaron would have been 17 years old when he arrived in England from Poland!He must therefore have learnt these skills in Poland.
I have worked extensively with pupils coming from abroad whose mother tongue isnt English and have studied Linguistics.It would have been no big deal for Aaron to have transferred his literacy skills from Polish to English.However if he spoke
Yiddish and learnt to read and write in Hebrew
that would have been more difficult at first.
In all probability the Jewish community in the East End would have set up community schools where the newly arrived could be given basic English literacy to help them on their way to getting work.
Natalie

Chris Phillips
Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 4:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From memory, isn't Kosminski recorded somewhere as speaking German, rather than Polish or Yiddish? I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

Chris Phillips

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right ---I think its also in the Asylum records.On the other hand Yiddish has a lot of "old German" in it so its uncertain what he would actually have used as his first language.
Natalie

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie
Just out of interest the G Friedlander you mention above was Gershon Friedlander whose details for 1891 are as follows:
he is listed as lodger at 31 Duke Street, aged 29 and single. His profession is described as "Clerk to Synagogue Burial Society". He was listed as born in London.
The head of the household with whom he was living was Julia Myers aged 67 born St George's East. She is described as a housekeeper and furrier's sewer. The only other occupant listed is Julia's nephew, Mark Myers, aged 31, born City of London. He has no occupation listed but is noted as an "imbecile from birth."
In 1881 Gershon was still living with his family at 16 Gun Square. His parents were Isaac aged 60, born Russia, and Fanny aged 58, born Alsace, France. His father, Isaac, is listed as a traveller in watchmaker's tools. Gershon, then aged 19, is listed as born in Aldgate and profession as "Clerk to Burial Society, United Synagogue". He had a younger brother, Simeon, who is listed in 1881 as aged 16, also born in Aldgate and with profession described as "Apprentice to ticket writing."

All the best
Chris

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats splendid Chris,I was quite taken with the bit I found which is why I quoted it.It really "fleshes" these characters out and adds authenticity to the quest!
Many Thanks
Natalie

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone satisfy my curiousity and explain why this discussion of Aaron Kominski is on the Fogelma thread?

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald -

All fixed now.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Thanks. If only all my questions about life, love and JtR were so easily handled.

Don.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 3:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stephen and sorry for that, Natalie

Mike Barr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody know whether direct translation of the Goulston Street Grafitti into German or Yiddish would actually make sense in either of those languages? I only ask because my ex wife was German and used to translate verbatim which occasionally didnt make much sense in English

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
I have often thought that both the spelling and the construction of the writing in Goulston Street
were written by someone whose mother tongue was not English.That said it doesnt mean that it was Aaron Kosminski who wrote it-this was a predominantly Jewish part of Whitechapel so the writer may have been Jewish.
If its read as the work of a person using English as a second language[or third etc] then I think it really does imply that the writer is irked by people blaming the Jews for anything and nothing and that these people will not go on accepting blame for things they didnt do.
But if its read as having been written by the killer who was a native English speaker then it leaves me with questions in my mind about what he meant by it---and that we may never know the answer.
Best Natalie

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 3:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The graffito is usually portrayed, of course, as having ANTI-Jewish intent.

Could it not be read AS A POSITIVE STATEMENT BY A JEW to mean that the jews have great accomplishments - ie they have not been responsible for nothing, but for a great deal.

It might then have been written by an inhabitant of the building.

I am not sure I find my thesis here entirely credible myself, and I am certainly not peddling it seriously, but it is a thought.

From all I have read about Kosminski (as well as Cohen or Kaminski) I would not personally assume great literacy either in reading or writing. But I could be wrong. Maybe they were intellectual giants caught in a ghetto from which they could not escape.

I wish we knew more about the suggestion that Joseph Hyam levy had knowledge of a Martin Kosminski. I think that link might open up knowledge of the Kosminski clan if pursued.

Phil

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding Chris Phiilips' question earlier...

In Eastern Europe -- and especially Poland -- German is actually the main second language (besides Russian). So if Kosminski at some point should have spoken or rambling in German, this is not strange at all.And if he was a Jew, he probably would have leart Yiddish at home or in the Jewish community.

So he probably spoke Polish--Yiddish--German.
My bet is that he spoke very little or no English, like many other Jews in east End (look at Schwartz, for example)

English, however, he would've had to learn after his arrival in England. You can go almost anywhere in Eastern Europe and if you're using English, no one understands you and it isn't learnt in schools either. Unless we are talking abut highly educated people and those who have attended universities.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

mike barr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie.
i've never been happy about the writing as it leaves more questions than answers. as a serving police officer though i'd have investigated it a lot deeper than appears to have been done. it strikes me that theres more than a hint of frustration in its content..... possibly anger that he had been unable to complete his work at Dutfields earlier in the evening outside a jewish club (assuming Stride was a victim!) Maybe the fact it was written rather than the content gives more of an insight to the murderer.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.