Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

To Suggest That Barnett is Guily Is... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » To Suggest That Barnett is Guily Is To .................. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 29, 2004CB25 3-29-04  6:50 am
Archive through March 30, 2004Jeff Hamm25 3-30-04  11:10 pm
Archive through April 01, 2004Shannon Christopher25 4-01-04  3:03 pm
Archive through April 02, 2004Shannon Christopher25 4-02-04  6:21 am
Archive through April 04, 2004Frank van Oploo25 4-04-04  5:05 am
Archive through April 08, 2004Richard Brian Nunwee25 4-08-04  4:28 am
Archive through April 10, 2004Glenn L Andersson25 4-10-04  8:11 am
Archive through April 12, 2004Glenn L Andersson25 4-12-04  6:59 pm
Archive through April 14, 2004CB25 4-14-04  6:02 am
Archive through April 16, 2004Jeff Hamm25 4-16-04  5:06 pm
Archive through April 19, 2004Ally25 4-19-04  4:15 pm
Archive through April 20, 2004Brian W. Schoeneman25 4-20-04  2:52 pm
Archive through April 22, 2004Leanne Perry25 4-22-04  8:49 am
Archive through April 23, 2004Leanne Perry25 4-23-04  4:04 am
Archive through April 24, 2004Harry Mann25 4-24-04  4:24 am
Archive through April 26, 2004Richard Brian Nunwee25 4-26-04  3:26 pm
Archive through April 28, 2004Sarah Long25 4-28-04  5:15 am
Archive through May 02, 2004Jeff Hamm25 5-02-04  4:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for takeing the time to respond to my post. I dont know why Cox is believed over some of the other wittnesses. I suspect that it is because of her being a neighbor of the vitum. She would have known Kelly and would not have made a misidentification. Her story seemed to be backed up by other people who heard Mary singing that night. I believe that Mary was described as a loud drunk. I believe I read that there was a Catherine Prichet who wanted to complain about Kelly's singing. So I imagine that she was really going off. This was about 12:30.

I have never read about the story that Cox told her neice. I imagine it originated from her neice? I guess the question is should we believe the neice? I have my own ripper suspect that I support. The problem is he doese not match the describtion given by any of the witnesses. So in order to cling to this possibility I have often thought that the police may have withheld on purpose certain details that they did not want leaked to the press. An example of this may be the fact that Inspector Dew claimed the man that Cox saw Kelly with had a beard.

I tend to believe Cox. I am not sure if the man that she saw Kelly with was the ripper. I have a hard time believeing that the ripper would of hung out with her for an Hour and a halve before killing her. Assumeing the ripper was not interested in sex. What was holding him back? She must have been one hell of a dancer or she gave great shoulder rubs. I dont believe she was that great of a singer.

ALL THE BEST,CB

Busy Beaver
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Michael Cane, Lewis Collins Ripper TV show, Mary's singer was portrayed as being nice but rather loud- in fact loud enough to wake up the entire neighbourhood. considering how small Miller's court would have been, I find it rather surprising that all of the neighbours who were home on the night/morning of the murder didn't get up and complain. I think Jeff is on to something as by this time "ole blotchy" would be getting quite bored by the whole show. I do think Mary entertained this chap and then went out into the streets again, where she unfortunatley met up with Jack.

Nina Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,
Just thought I'd clear up the question about the chemise that mjk wore. It was commonly worn as an undergarment. As mjk probably had very little clothing.I believe that she would sleep either fully clothed which would not be very comfortable or in the chemise.
I found this link that has an excellent example.
http://www.corsetsandcrinolines.com/testdb1.php?index=187020
Nina

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nina,
Thanks for that info. That corrects my previous assumption that a chemise was a nightgown type thing. That could change things a bit. I'll have to review some of my previous posts to see if some of the arguments place too much emphasis on the idea that the chemise would not have been something she was already wearing.

I know of at least one argument I've made which is greatly weakened by this. And that's the idea that she would have had to get naked and then redressed in front of Joe. If she only had to remove her outer clothes, then if they were not in an antagonistic relationship at this point, she might not be as adverse to doing that.

- Jeff

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

By 'comfortable' I mean, with each other. I think they argues like every couple but on the whole were happy together until Joe lost his job. Mary was probably happy until Joe's money drained away.

Sarah
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Busy,

There has been a lot of discussion about the folding of Mary Kelly's clothes- Jack may well have folded them as a "good deed" just as he neatly laid out the posessions of Annie Chapman.

Man, dont start that again !

Monty
:-)

Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

If Mary and Joe lived together harmoniously, their relationship was punctuated by frequent and sometimes heated rows, most likely started by Mary Kellys drinking habits.

JULIA VENTURNEY: 'I have frequently seen her the worse for drink, but when she was cross Joe Barnett would go out and leave her to quarrel alone.'
ELIZABETH PHEONIX: when she was drunk she was: 'very quarrelsome and abusive.'
JOHN MCCARTHY: 'when in drink she had more to say.'

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

I'd pay any price to have a list of the nights/mornings Barnett left a drunk Mary, where he went and how he released his frustration.

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

I agree that they had arguments but it doesn't say that they were arguing all the time. Julia Venturney said she was frequently drunk but that doesn't mean that every time she was drunk she argued with Joe.

I would also love to know if had any sort of alibi's for all the other murders. Of course, if asked after Mary's murder he could easily say that he had been with Mary now that she was dead.

Sarah

cb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Sarsha and Leanne,

I am sorry to inform you but Mary Kelly was a prostitute just like any ohter She would hve dressed in front of a snake if she had to.

All the bset cb

Harry Mann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the photograph of Kelly,we see her lying atop of bedclothes.Bond states she was probably stabbed through the corner of the sheet.Now would this be the sheet she was lying on,and therefor part of the under bed clothes,or a sheet that one would naturally expext to find as an over cover.
The outer,or covering bed clothes are not in evidence in the photo,unless it is rhe bundle barely visible at the left foot of the bed.Surely even Kelly would have had under and over coverings,so wearing just a chemise to bed was quite logical.
So if she was in bed at the time of the initial attack,isn,t it more likely that she would have been stabbed through the covering sheet,and not the under sheet.Where is the covering sheet?.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

An argument every night is not what I'm thinking of. (especially not during the month of October).

We can never know if Joe had solid, rock-hard alibis for the nights of all the murders because we lack a transcript of his interrogation, but think, what could they have been to completely eliminate him as a killer?....."I was at Spitalfields Market", "I was at St. James fruit market", "I was looking for work."? All such excuses could have put him near all murder sights, at the appropriate times.

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CB,

And your proof of this is?

I'm sorry, but just because you think of prostitutes as one type of person, it doesn't mean that all of them were exactly the same. Anyway, I agree with Leanne that, maybe if Joe had come back bringing with him money then she may have undressed, but if he was peniless then I just don't see it. He had left her and she was sick of him. He also hated prostitution and so I doubt he would have enticed her to remove her clothing for him in a "business" type way.

Maybe that's what pushed him over the edge finally, he offered her money and she became willing to strip off in front of him and he felt enraged by the fact that even he had to resort to offering her money.

I don't know, I feel like I'm wittering on here. Hope any of that makes sense.

Leanne,

I doubt he would have given excuses that placed him near the murder sites, but I would find it strange for him to exactly remember where he was on a particular night though. If he had an excuse ready and gave it instantly when the police asked then I found find that suspect. I wish we just had the transcript. It's a shame. Of course he could have always said that he had been with Mary on those nights.

Sarah

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

The best days for street-sellers to be out making money fell on the weekend and the Ripper victims were all murdered on weekends.

A Victorian London Website said of COVENT GARDEN MARKET ('The great fruit, vegetable, and herb market of London'): 'Saturday is the best day' (Peter Cunningham 1850).

Of PETTICOAT LANE (A Victorian London street market): 'Petticoat Lane on a Sunday morning will give the most vivid idea of the greed of gain, or the hard struggle to make a living...' (Richard Rowe 1881).

If Barnett was with Mary in the early morning hours on weekends, it's no wonder he couldn't earn alot of money!

LEANNE

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Refering to Mary kelly, she according to Walter Dew, never wore a bonnet/hat, during the daytime sightings.
I have noticed a report, that Elizabeth Prater, spoke to kelly on the evening of the 8th november, she was wearing her normal black velvet jacket, and a hat.
Clearly this was night time attire only, this may give further credence to Maxwell sightings in daylight hours , even though it was raining she was hatless.
Richard.

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

I believe that Cox stated at the inquest that Kelly was not wearing a hat and that was around 12:30 at night.

Just another quote from Dew,

" The doctors were unable to because of the terrible mutilations, to say with any certainty just when death took place but they were very emphatic that the girl could not have been alive at eight o'clock that morning.

All the best,CB

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.