Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

John Kelly Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Catherine Eddowes » John Kelly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last known record of John Kelly is his admittance to the Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary on November 29, 1888 with laryngitis. Neal Shelden writes that Kelly suffered from a kidney ailment and a bad cough.

Things didn't look good for Kelly as 1888 came to a close, and I've been checking the England and Wales Civil Registration Index for a possible record of his death. It goes without saying that there are a tremendous amount of John Kellys listed. I limited my search to those in Whitechapel district and who were roughly the same age Kelly might have been (born circa 1842). I realize it's always possible Kelly left Whitechapel, but you have to start somewhere :-)

Here are a few candidates:

1. John Kelly, aged 47 listed in the September quarter for 1890, volume 1c, pg. 189.

2. John Kelly, aged 50, listed in the March quarter for 1892, volume 1c, pg. 275.

3. John Kelly, aged 54, listed in the June quarter, 1899, volume 1c, pg. 164.

4. John Kelly, aged 53, listed in the September quarter, 1901, volume 1c, pg. 208.

5. John Kelly, aged 50, listed in the December quarter, 1903, volume 1c, pg. 186.

I think only half of the Index is online, and so far there are no birth, marriage, or death records for any John Kellys in Whitechapel between 1883 and 1890.

I don't know if there is more detail in the Index itself, i.e. last known address, etc.

Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.