Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

On Mother Kelly's Doorstep Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » On Mother Kelly's Doorstep « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please forgive me if someone has mentioned this before (I had a look and couldn't find it).

There is an old song called "On Mother Kelly's Doorstep down Paradise Row". On the following link Des McKenna suggests that it could have been "On Mary Kelly's Doorstep Down Providence Row". The words remarkably seem to be suggesting Mary Kelly as if we change the title and it's presence in the song we have:-

On Mary Kelly's doorstep, down Providence Row,
I'd sit along o'Mary, she'd sit along o'Joe.
She's got a little hole in her frock,
Hole in her shoe, hole in her sock,
Where her toe peeped through,
But Mary was the smartest down our alley.

On Mary Kelly's doorstep, I'm wondering now
If li'l gal Mary remembers Joe, her beau,
And does she love me like she used to,
On Mary Kelly's doorstep, down Providence Row

You can find more details here:-

http://www.fulwood.com/fulwood/history/jack_the_ripper_theory.htm

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sarah:

Thanks for bringing this article by Des McKenna to our attention. I would like to point out that many of Des's ideas while interesting are rather fanciful and are often not fact based, as much as I like Des and have enjoyed talking to him at the Ripper conventions and reading his articles. In the article that you cite, Des makes a great leap of logic that is surely as large as any made by Paul Feldman or other writers on the case:

After pointing out the "theatricality" of the Ripper leaving his victims displayed on the open street and the possibility that Walter Sickert, the artist and part-time actor, was Jack, Des states, "Four years after the death of Annie Chapman, in the same street, Hanbury Street, was born one of England's most famous entertainers, Bud Flanagan, and in our own time, in Flower and Dean Street, was born Barbara Windsor. So it is not unreasonable to think that Jack might have been a theatrical too."

What? Just because a couple of British entertainment personalities were born in the neighborhood, this makes it reasonable to presume that the Ripper was an entertainer too?!!!!

In regard to Des's supposition that the old song "On Mother Kelly's Doorstep down Paradise Row" might bear some relationship to Mary Kelly, we might note that Kelly, Joe, Paradise or Providence Row, Street, or Alley, are all commonish names of the era, so there does not seem to be any necessary relationship here as much as Des wishes to make us see one.

All the best

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah

I remember this coming up when Chris posted a picture of Danny La Rue on the Boards, and Richard and I started going through the song for a laugh. Little did we know that Des had got there before us!

Bud Flanagan, eh? "Underneath the arches, Coles dreams her dreams away...."

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
Of course who can forget the wonderful song about the costermongers pony(Not Mr D's I hope!) The chorus of which starts..
"Down the road away went Polly,
With her step (bonnet!) so jolly
That I knew she'd win..."

And so on..........

Still think that the line
"everybody looked so sad
And I felt quite forlorn,
Whoa mare,whoa mare
You've earn't your little bit of corn"
is a bit poignant

Altogether now!!!!!!!!!!!!11 1-2-3 ..
Cheers
Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to revive this thread I found a copy of the cover for the sheet music of "On Mother Kelly's Doorstep"
The layout of the buildings looks more than a little like the entrance to Miller's Court and Kelly's door - another hidden message???

doorstep

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

That's actually kinda spooky now!! That looks exactly like Mary Kelly's actual doorstep. It's probably a coincidence but it's a very strange coincidence.

Thanks for finding that.

Sarah

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.